NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no problem with the Edmonton's copper and blue. The colour scheme fits a team named the Oilers better than blue and orange does. However I could never get past the use of red. It stood out like a sore thumb on the jerseys, especially since it outlined the numbers. Red will always be associated with the Flames in Alberta. It would be like the Sens using blue as a trim colour. If the uniforms had been straight navy and copper I would have enjoyed them a lot more but I'm the kind of person that likes to see teams wear what they've won in. If/when the Oilers win the Cup again it'll be very cool to see them do it in the same sweaters as Gretzky, Messier & company.

2013%2BAll-Star%2BGame%2BChronicles-%2BResearch%2B%2526%2BDiscovery%2B-%2BColumbus%2BBlue%2BJackets%2B-%2BFeatures.png

I'm hoping this shows up, but I screen capped this logo that I've never seen before, from the Blue Jackets All-Star video. Sorry, if this has been public knowledge before my posting of it.

That logo looks awesome. It actually looks like there is a different number font with it as well.

spacer.png

I understand that going retro is a trend, I get that... but it's so unoriginal to go back to something that's already been done before.

I'm an Oilers fan, and while I don't mind Orange/Blue per say, the current jersey design is just so unoriginal. It's been done before. All they had to do was look at pictures from the 80s and they were done. I think a nice mixture of orange/midnight blue with a newer jersey design would've been a nice nod to the past and a great way to look at the future. But for the Oilers, going back to the 80s design didn't surprise me since some of the thinkers in that organization are living in the past anyways.

I hope Calgary doesn't make the same mistake. Get rid of those flag patches and do something new. Something original.

Retro may be a good idea for an alternate jersey to wear sometimes, but going full out retro is always a dumb idea in my opinion. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's good.

Caps/Hurricanes is a great-looking alt vs. alt matchup tonight.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Flames would look perfect if they looked like this...

Flames-3.png

This is a concept I made this year.

5 steps away from perfection.

1. Lose the black armpits on the home jersey.

2. Red collar on the away jersey.

3. Add a line of red to the yellow and white stripes on the primary pants.

4. Create a shoulder patch that is primarily yellow, like (but not like) the horsehead logo.

5. Retain current red 3rd jersey throwbacks.

4. Create a shoulder patch that is primarily yellow, like (but not like) the horsehead logo.

Agree on all points except for the pant stripes. Just get rid of those all together, they aren't necessary. Pre-Edge jerseys never had em.

Agree on all points except for the pant stripes. Just get rid of those all together, they aren't necessary. Pre-Edge jerseys never had em.

Agreed. Drop step number 3. Add the flags back onto the shoulders instead! ;)

I had no problem with the Edmonton's copper and blue. The colour scheme fits a team named the Oilers better than blue and orange does. However I could never get past the use of red. It stood out like a sore thumb on the jerseys, especially since it outlined the numbers. Red will always be associated with the Flames in Alberta. It would be like the Sens using blue as a trim colour. If the uniforms had been straight navy and copper I would have enjoyed them a lot more but I'm the kind of person that likes to see teams wear what they've won in. If/when the Oilers win the Cup again it'll be very cool to see them do it in the same sweaters as Gretzky, Messier & company.

I've always really liked the orange and blues, and had hoped the Oilers would switch back, but now that they have... I've really started to appreciate what a nice color combo the navy blue, red and copper were.

That said: here in Saskatoon, there's a Jersey City that currently has a crapload of Oilers' pre-Edge replicas (with the Oilman shoulder patches) on sale for 20 bucks apiece, all sizes. The guy working there said they found an old shipment and are selling them off. It's tempting to buy one, but as a Canucks fan I can't bring myself to.

I understand that going retro is a trend, I get that... but it's so unoriginal to go back to something that's already been done before.

I'm an Oilers fan, and while I don't mind Orange/Blue per say, the current jersey design is just so unoriginal. It's been done before. All they had to do was look at pictures from the 80s and they were done. I think a nice mixture of orange/midnight blue with a newer jersey design would've been a nice nod to the past and a great way to look at the future. But for the Oilers, going back to the 80s design didn't surprise me since some of the thinkers in that organization are living in the past anyways.

I hope Calgary doesn't make the same mistake. Get rid of those flag patches and do something new. Something original.

Retro may be a good idea for an alternate jersey to wear sometimes, but going full out retro is always a dumb idea in my opinion. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's good.

Yes. I've been saying this for the past few years.

It's lazy and uninventive. Now teams are going back to using throwbacks not only as alternates, which is stupid enough, but as full time jerseys. I'm so sick of it.

I would accept it if the Bolts did it though, because nothing is worse than their current look.

2ly2w09.jpg

When what was worn in the past is lightyears better than what a team has used since leaving said design, there is no issue with going back to the superior look, instead of trying to be "creative" or "inventive" and have yet another jersey/identity that looks like s**t...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Similarly just because something is new doesn't mean it is good either.

If a team going back to a retro look is, imo, a downgrade then I think it is stupid. However if it improves their look then who cares if they've done it before, as long as they look good that's the most important thing.

Hypothetically, if a team with a flat out classic, legendary set, such as the Red Wings, Yankee homes, Packers, made a significant visual downgrade you wouldn't want them to go back to what they had?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I would accept it if the Bolts did it though, because nothing is worse than their current look.

Man, have you got a short memory.

steve-stamkos-tampa-bay-lightning-nhl.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Man, have you got a short memory.

steve-stamkos-tampa-bay-lightning-nhl.jpg

Am I the only one who actually really liked those?

Maybe it's just the current atrocities brightening the memories of those.

spacer.png

Archived