The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

Not a fan of Obama as has been stated, but even if you don't respect the man, you respect the Office.

Timmy did have a misstep there...

There is a big difference between respecting the office and being required to meet with someone you don't respect or believe in. With these attitudes, it's no wonder your Constitution and Bill of Rights are being continuously stepped on...

I can't agree with that line of reasoning.

One of the things that has defined American democracy is the ability to look past party affiliation and respect the institutions of government, regardless who might be currently running them.

Look at the election of 1800. For the first time in American history a party in power (the Federalists) lost an election and had to step down to make way for new administration run by an opposing party (the Democratic-Republicans). President Adams and his party honoured the results of the election and stepped down to make way for the newly elected Jefferson administration. He didn't declare the elections void or anything like that. He respected the process, and in doing so set a precedent that's unique to the United States as far as states born of revolution go.

That precedent being that you may not like, or even respect, the man who's currently the President, but you recognize his legitimacy as the President and you respect the office regardless. That's what Kinger was saying, and I agree with him. Meeting President Obama isn't an endorsement of his policies. It's simply honouring an invitation from the President of the United States.

All that being said, I don't buy the "I can't be a fan of (insert actor/author/athlete here), he doesn't believe what I believe" line. I get it if the person's obviously crazy or a bigot, but otherwise I don't see the point in not liking someone simply due to their personal beliefs one way or the other. It would be kind of limiting to restrict who we're a fan of if we only liked people who confirmed to our personal belief sets.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense, but are we seriously talking about this 3 months later about Tim Thomas? Anyway, my predictions are Rangers and Panthers to win tonight. The rats will rain on the ice!

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Rangers and Senators? I think the Rangers win. Ottawa had their shot to end it and they dropped the ball. I'd like to see the Senators win, just because it would complete the utter insanity of every "premier" team being knocked out thus far.

Devils and Panthers? It's a crap shoot. I have no idea. That being said, I like Marty. So go Devils.

My $0.02:

Of course it's his right to not go. Just as it would be for anyone else on the team. You go, great, you don't go, cool, whatever, that's your prerogative.

As someone observing from the outside, I couldn't care less. What WOULD bug me IF I WERE A TEAMMATE is him not going to a TEAM event. We won the cup as a team, you were part of the team, you should join your teammates. Honestly I think it's more a dig to his teammates and coaches than anything else. Show up, smile, and be done with it. Maybe even tell Obama you disagree with him when you're face to face with him for 7 seconds.

Again, nothing to do with the choice to not go as a citizen or whatever.

And you know what, next year it'll be moot :P .

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Not a fan of Obama as has been stated, but even if you don't respect the man, you respect the Office.

Timmy did have a misstep there...

There lies some ignorance. It wasn't about just Obama, which the media wants you to think. It was about both parties.

This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

It's funny how people are also suggesting he lie. It's no wonder sticking to your morals is a lost artform these days. This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.

You'd have a point, if he didn't post this crap which comes straight out of the GOP playbook circa 2012.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Timmy is an absoute class act.

I guess it depends on the situation...

If you're talking about not going to the White House, then you're kind of making my point...

Well, some would argue that it would've been the "classier" move going to the White House while others would argue that it would be the "classier" move standing up for your personal beliefs. It comes down to what you think personally, really.

I would argue if he didn't want to go to the white house for political reasons he should of kept his mouth shut about why and not make himself a bigger story than the team. he obviously wanted to make a political statement.

And so what if he did? It's his right to do so. Even if it may have seemed classless to do so, he was merely exercising his rights. Do you have a problem with that?

Furthermore, how did he "obviously" want to make a political statement? Maybe he didn't want to lie to his fans.

Thomas seems to be a shy person by nature. I doubt he'd want to make a political statement "just cause" when he knows it'll create a lot of controversy and put a lot attention on him.

spacer.png

One of the things that has defined American democracy is the ability to look past party affiliation and respect the institutions of government, regardless who might be currently running them.

Look at the election of 1800. For the first time in American history a party in power (the Federalists) lost an election and had to step down to make way for new administration run by an opposing party (the Democratic-Republicans). President Adams and his party honoured the results of the election and stepped down to make way for the newly elected Jefferson administration. He didn't declare the elections void or anything like that. He respected the process, and in doing so set a precedent that's unique to the United States as far as states born of revolution go.

That precedent being that you may not like, or even respect, the man who's currently the President, but you recognize his legitimacy as the President and you respect the office regardless. That's what Kinger was saying, and I agree with him. Meeting President Obama isn't an endorsement of his policies. It's simply honouring an invitation from the President of the United States.

All that being said, I don't buy the "I can't be a fan of (insert actor/author/athlete here), he doesn't believe what I believe" line. I get it if the person's obviously crazy or a bigot, but otherwise I don't see the point in not liking someone simply due to their personal beliefs one way or the other. It would be kind of limiting to restrict who we're a fan of if we only liked people who confirmed to our personal belief sets.

Obama is an illegitimate president. His policies since 2008 have gone in direct opposition the Constitution for which the Republic was founded (Just as Bush did before him). Here are just a few reasons...

-He authorized offensive military action against Libya without prior authorization from the U.S. congress, which by the way is an impeachable offence. And no, calling it a "Kinetic Military Action" doesn't make it okay, there were ground troops. It's admitted in mainstream news publications.

-Obama auto-penned the Patriot Act extension into law, which allows for warrantless wiretapping. A direct violation to the 4th amendment. Also an impeachable offence.

-In 2012, Obama signed into law The National Defence Authorization Act which allows any American to be detained indefinitely without due process.

These are just three reasons (I could fill a novel) why Obama is an illegitimate president and why Tim Thomas' comments regarding him were not only warranted but completely on point as well. As a Canucks fan I used to despise the man but his decision to not attend the White House earned him my permanent respect.

I gained a modicum of respect for Thomas after Nicklas Backstrom told a Swedish paper that Thomas apologized for the blocker to the head and for other various stick to the face acts against him in the series during the handshake line.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Obama is an illegitimate president. His policies since 2008 have gone in direct opposition the Constitution for which the Republic was founded (Just as Bush did before him). Here are just a few reasons...

-He authorized offensive military action against Libya without prior authorization from the U.S. congress, which by the way is an impeachable offence. And no, calling it a "Kinetic Military Action" doesn't make it okay, there were ground troops. It's admitted in mainstream news publications.

-Obama auto-penned the Patriot Act extension into law, which allows for warrantless wiretapping. A direct violation to the 4th amendment. Also an impeachable offence.

-In 2012, Obama signed into law The National Defence Authorization Act which allows any American to be detained indefinitely without due process.

These are just three reasons (I could fill a novel) why Obama is an illegitimate president and why Tim Thomas' comments regarding him were not only warranted but completely on point as well. As a Canucks fan I used to despise the man but his decision to not attend the White House earned him my permanent respect.

You know, it's funny - I thought we were trying to keep politics off of these discussion boards...

You know, it's funny - I thought we were trying to keep politics off of these discussion boards...

Some people can get away with it, others cant.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Look at the election of 1800. For the first time in American history a party in power (the Federalists) lost an election

and had to step down to make way for new administration run by an opposing party (the Democratic-Republicans). President Adams and his party honoured the results of the election and stepped down to make way for the newly elected Jefferson administration. He didn't declare the elections void or anything like that. He respected the process, and in doing so set a precedent that's unique to the United States as far as states born of revolution go.

That precedent being that you may not like, or even respect, the man who's currently the President, but you recognize his legitimacy as the President and you respect the office regardless. That's what Kinger was

saying, and I agree with him. Meeting President Obama isn't an endorsement of his policies. It's simply honouring an invitation from the President of the United States.

All that being said, I don't buy the "I can't be a fan of (insert actor/author/athlete here), he doesn't believe what I believe" line. I get it if the person's obviously crazy or a bigot, but otherwise I don't see the point in not liking

someone simply due to their personal beliefs one way or the other. It would be kind of limiting to restrict who we're a fan of if we only liked people who confirmed to our personal belief sets.

Some people can get away with it, others cant.

I thought this was the Stanley Cup playoff thread, not the political thread discussing Obama, etc.

Anyway, this is my favorite goal so far these playoffs:

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Those are indeed horrible actions, but I fail to see how that makes Obama an "illegitimate" president. A bad president? Sure, but still a legitimate one.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Those are indeed horrible actions, but I fail to see how that makes Obama an "illegitimate" president. A bad president? Sure, but still a legitimate one.

Exactly. Unless he refuses to leave office after being impeached and convicted of an actual crime, he is still the legitimate President.

Also, Morgo, aren't you Canadian? He's not your President anyway.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived