The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

Im excited about this series. Both teams play pretty exciting hockey and are hitting on all cylinders. Really no idea whose going to win and thats what makes it fun!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I refuse to tender a prediction or even take a side here.

I hold no grudges with either the Kings or Devils.

Either the Kings win their first Cup in franchise history, or Marty has a chance to go out on top (because he'll certainly retire if he wins the Cup).

And even with annoyance factors (Kings 40-42 record; Devils inflated regular season record that they seem to have justified), well, the cancel out!

As an Eastern Conferencer, I guess I default to the Devils. But it's really no skin off my nose whoever wins. Much better than 2011, where it was either Vancouver or Boston, both of whom I hold plenty of venom towards.

spacer.png

On one hand, if the Kings win the Cup, the wager I placed at Mandalay Bay last October pays out 5-to-1. I'm certainly rooting for that.

On the other, it'll be nice to see Moose, Kovalchuk, and Boulton raise the Cup. Maybe one of them (I think Hedberg's family still lives in the Atlanta area) will bring the Cup to Atlanta and let us Thrashers fans give somebody a proper send-off/goodbye....

I'm torn. I want NJ to win it just for Brodeur. Winning the Cup would be the perfect end to his career, and the would end the Roy/Brodeur debate forever. (4 Stanley Cups each)

HOWEVER! LA is just a fantastic feel-good story.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Does anybody outside of New Jersey care about the Devils?

I get a 2007 Ottawa feel from them- outside the local area, is anybody REALLY clamoring for them to win it all?

Why does that matter? The Devils have a smalL but very loyal fan base. I live in NJ, I'm not a Devils fan, but they have a good fan base.

I'll be rooting for the Devils. As a Maple Leaf fan, I'm still not over 1993. Screw the Kings.

I'm pulling for Los Angeles. Gotta root for the Connecticut kid, Jonathan Quick. I remember watching him a few times. Even back then, you knew he was something special.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

For the record, I don't think the Rangers ever got any "help" from the officials. Not before LA made it to the Finals, and certainly not in the two games played afterwards. The "they wanted a LA/NY final and nudged the officiating to help facilitate that" theory fell flat tonight.

The Devils are practically New York City. They're playing home games like 10 miles away from Madison Square Garden.

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure it's been established that the Devils don't have a large NYC following, and don't pull in the monster tv ratings you would expect from a New York market team. If you're going to play the "the NHL wanted a LA/NY Stanley Cup Finals and fixed things accordingly" card then you can't suddenly say "well New Jersey is close enough to prove my point" now that the Rangers were knocked out without obvious help from the officials.

The ECF was Rangers/Devils. If the NHL was truly trying to "nudge" the playoffs towards a LA/NY match-up (as was suggested) then the Rangers would have been on the receiving end of more then a few generous calls. No one, if they want to fix it so a New York area team makes it to the Finals, chooses the Devils over the Rangers.

So yeah, the "well the Kings got a ton of help because the NHL wants a LA/NY Final and now that LA's in you just watch, the Rangers will get the help they need" argument kind of fell flat.

Either that or the NHL is so incompetent that in their efforts to fix it that way they actually gave the edge to the Devils. Which wouldn't be all that shocking, actually.

I'm never part of any conspiracy that involves the league wanting any particular team/city playing in the Final.

For the record, I don't think the Rangers ever got any "help" from the officials. Not before LA made it to the Finals, and certainly not in the two games played afterwards. The "they wanted a LA/NY final and nudged the officiating to help facilitate that" theory fell flat tonight.

The Devils are practically New York City. They're playing home games like 10 miles away from Madison Square Garden.

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure it's been established that the Devils don't have a large NYC following, and don't pull in the monster tv ratings you would expect from a New York market team. If you're going to play the "the NHL wanted a LA/NY Stanley Cup Finals and fixed things accordingly" card then you can't suddenly say "well New Jersey is close enough to prove my point" now that the Rangers were knocked out without obvious help from the officials.

The ECF was Rangers/Devils. If the NHL was truly trying to "nudge" the playoffs towards a LA/NY match-up (as was suggested) then the Rangers would have been on the receiving end of more then a few generous calls. No one, if they want to fix it so a New York area team makes it to the Finals, chooses the Devils over the Rangers.

So yeah, the "well the Kings got a ton of help because the NHL wants a LA/NY Final and now that LA's in you just watch, the Rangers will get the help they need" argument kind of fell flat.

Either that or the NHL is so incompetent that in their efforts to fix it that way they actually gave the edge to the Devils. Which wouldn't be all that shocking, actually.

I'm never part of any conspiracy that involves the league wanting any particular team/city playing in the Final.

Wasn't directed at you. I know you never said that there was a conspiracy, but STL Fanatic did.

I was just pointing out that his theory that once the Kings were in the Rangers would get help from the officials never came to pass.

Why do people (fans) even care about ratings? Why not care about the matchup instead? True fans ignore ratings and care about the matchup between two teams. The NHL is fine and here to stay. Ratings are just for the media to talk about. That's how you get these, "Oh, the league would've preferred team a vs team b", when in reality, the league doesn't care about the ratings because they are smart enough to know that the ratings are a sample portion of people watching who have ratings boxes and not the truth of how many people are actually watching. For all we know, hockey could be more popular than the NFL, but until we get ratings boxes in everyone's homes on all televisions, we will never know. So if you're just telling me that a "sample" of people is a real number, I'll look at you and wonder how they let you out of the crazy bin.

Don't care about ratings, or either team, but I would have rooted for a 1-2-3-1 run for the Kings. As it is, I'll still root for the Kings since the Devils have plenty of Cup wins - and recent ones. I tend to root for droughts ending, whoever's playing the Red Wings, or Canada in the Stanley Cup Final when I have no dog in the fight. No offense, NJ fans. It's not like I'll be mad if the Devils win. I actually think it's a good story either way, and I plan to watch.

If there was a conspiracy to create a LA/NY SCF, we would have gotten the actual New York team in the SCF. The only thing approaching a conspiracy is the distance the league will go to keep the Coyotes afloat.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived