NFL considers suspending Pro Bowl

burgundy

No more Pro Bowl?

Sources say that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has previously voiced his displeasure with the lack of competitiveness in recent Pro Bowl games, is strongly considering suspending this year's game, sources say.

Beyond 2013, another league source believes the Pro Bowl is "DOA (dead on arrival)."

In response to ESPN's report, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press on Thursday that "no determination has been made yet about this season's game."

If the game is suspended, the league still would have a Pro Bowl balloting process to identify the season's top players and would direct teams to negotiate Pro Bowl clauses into player contracts and to honor Pro Bowl incentive clauses to avoid any serious conflict with the players association. Those players also likely would be honored in some fashion during Super Bowl week.

I say good riddance, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

spacer.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to see it go. The game really is a joke. The players only go because it's a free trip for them and their families to Hawaii.

My opinion stands for all-star games in general. The only sport's actual all star game I enjoy is baseball's because it has some meaning. Even for hockey, I just watch the skills competition.

Actually, I think the economic input that the Pro Bowl has on the State of Hawaii will be missed by Hawaiians. So they might want it to continue.

Actually, I think the economic input that the Pro Bowl has on the State of Hawaii will be missed by Hawaiians. So they might want it to continue.

That's probably the thing that's killing it more then the lack of competitiveness.

The governor there has spoken out numerous times against subsidizing the game. Don't think any other city really wants it. So good chance this year's Pro-Bowl will probably be the last one ever for the foreseeable future.

No more Pro Bowl?

If the game is suspended, the league still would have a Pro Bowl balloting process to identify the season's top players and would direct teams to negotiate Pro Bowl clauses into player contracts and to honor Pro Bowl incentive clauses to avoid any serious conflict with the players association. Those players also likely would be honored in some fashion during Super Bowl week.

So what's the point of being named All Pro?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I'm fine with naming players going to the Pro Bowl to get a free trip to Hawaii, but the game itself is the issue. It is not fair if the NFL gets rid of the Pro Bowl because it screws over all of the other players such as Darren Sproles who are good enough to get to a Pro Bowl will now never get a chance to travel to one nor get a free trip to Hawaii. If I was the NFL, I would make the NFL make the Pro Bowl worth something that the players would enjoy a lot. But what could that be? :Oo:

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

No more Pro Bowl?

So what's the point of being named All Pro?

All-Pro teams are media based. Pro Bowl is voted on by players/coaches/fans equally.

It's there in the article - contracts have financial incentives for being named All-Pro, which would still be honored.

Correct.

NFL CBA Article 38; Sections 2 and 6 deals with the game, contracts with incentives, and issues if the game goes away.

There's a Pro Bowl game?

Pretty much.

I hope they wise up and just do a Hawaii skills challenge and let the players enjoy their reward without some hokey bullcrap game. The NHL skills challenge is a fine example of how it can be done right and be an amazing time.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

There's a Pro Bowl game?

Pretty much.

I hope they wise up and just do a Hawaii skills challenge and let the players enjoy their reward without some hokey bullcrap game. The NHL skills challenge is a fine example of how it can be done right and be an amazing time.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

There's a Pro Bowl game?

Pretty much.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic...

I was with you on it, lol, I was just saying that might as well be the reaction of the general population.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived