Unique equipment

Ark

The Cowboy's Drew Pearson always wore his socks extremely high and taped his cleats until they were solid white out of superstition. Pearson was a popular player and was offered several shoe endorsement deals but turned them down because the companies (of course) wanted their logo visible. 

Drew-Pearson-2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/22/2016 at 10:49 PM, WavePunter said:

No, they're not coasters.. You can kind of see that it's the type of thigh pad made of several small hexagons/ovals/circles (depending on the brand)... Here's a better picture of him with similar thigh pads..

I used to wear these hex pads for pro wrestling and they were the worst! Those little hexes would move just enough to bounce the tip of my elbow off the mat. Every. Single. Time.

Re:The small Dungard facemask:

00dee0cc041774555a3be38f038e924b.jpg

Len Dawson wore it in his final years....

saints-morten-andersen.jpg

And we all know about Morten Andersen's long career, and how this was the only facemask he wore in his career. :D

Lancaster.R.jpg

And, lastly, turning to Canada, Ron Lancaster wore the smaller Dungard facemask for much of his career. :)

UBwef0L.png

11 hours ago, Wandell said:

The Packers added chinstraps to the back of Sterling Sharpe's helmet to prevent further injury to his neck. This is the only time I've seen this done.

Sharpe.jpg

Well, given that his career was ended by a neck injury, I'd say this little experiment was unsuccessful.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, dont care said:

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

You haven't even got to the really fun ones yet:

480357939.jpg

timmy.jpeg

tt3.jpg

And because it's Tim Thomas, this gets labeled as unique:

480358165.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

42 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Jesus, is that the cage from a college-level player helmet?

Not sure which exact one is pictured there, but he did wear a Bauer 7500 for part of the season, which is about 3 or 4 levels below a pro level one. 

I always loved Tim's helmets. 

The cages on them made it easier to see the puck for him & met NHL standards. I always wanted to see someone else use one of those or those full-face masks guys wear with a broken jaw:

penpract1222095.jpg

This with one of the helmet styles Tim always wore would make a fantastic mask, IMO. But I know that's not a popular opinion. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I always loved Tim's helmets. 

The cages on them made it easier to see the puck for him & met NHL standards. I always wanted to see someone else use one of those or those full-face masks guys wear with a broken jaw:

penpract1222095.jpg

This with one of the helmet styles Tim always wore would make a fantastic mask, IMO. But I know that's not a popular opinion. 

I think if it worked, we would have seen it done already.  I always see players wiping off their visors on the bench... getting some snow or sweat on a goalie visor in the middle of a play would probably be both distracting and a visual block.

The Tim Thomas thing is super weird.  It's one thing for a goalie to change paint jobs, but I don't know if I've ever seen a goalie (especially one that old) wear so many different types of helmets/masks.

Like I've been trying to look for those Thomas mask designs, because I kinda want one for rec hockey. But now that I know that it's better for my "vision", it incentivizes the decision even more. 

Also, the hell is with that cage that Streit is wearing? It makes like no sense

That's what- She

35 minutes ago, mamiller99 said:

Like I've been trying to look for those Thomas mask designs, because I kinda want one for rec hockey. But now that I know that it's better for my "vision", it incentivizes the decision even more. 

Also, the hell is with that cage that Streit is wearing? It makes like no sense

Here's one article on the Streit mask:

http://hockey-blog-in-canada.blogspot.ca/2015/01/unsafe-safety-equipment.html

Also, a bunch of postings over the years about it on the goaliestore.com site.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived