2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

@Suns tweeted two hours ago that "We will not have new uniforms this year". So...the new wordmark on the court paired with the old wordmark on the old/current jerseys will look awkward. The only time this court is going to look halfway decent is if the Suns wear the 90s black jerseys at home.

Overall, it's a pretty terrible court design. It needs purple somewhere. The baselines should read "Phoenix Suns". In short, ditto what the admiral said.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Suns tweeted two hours ago that "We will not have new uniforms this year".

So next year then?

That'd be my guess, but still, nothing for sure. I just hope they incorporate more purple than the court does.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If they wanted to play up the orange, that's fine. But why can't all the black simply be purple? That just feels like to drastic of a change with how long purple was the primary.

Maybe they just don't love purple, like the Eagles and kelly green.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I actually like the new court design for the Suns, but it is going to look terrible with the current uniforms.

Yes. That's my beef with this. It looks nice on its own but with the current unis it clashes so badly. I'm going to miss the purple but I don't mind orange becoming the primary as its still unique in the r/w/b NBA. As far as the wordmark goes, yes its similar to OSU in that its orange and bevelled, but I think it has its own charm and is different enough. I agree with an earlier poster that this appears to be the start of a post Steve Nash era. I didn't think he was the type of player that would lead to a team changing so much by coming or going(like the cavs change into the LeBron era) because of his age but I guess he is that great regardless of it.

Something is just not sitting right with the NBA these days IMHO.

Andrew is right about picturing a team's most iconic player in their current identity as a way to tell if it looks good.

The Suns' wordmark is okay, meh, their original slanted 'suns' is also an ambigram, but this just has more edginess and a bevel.

Why eliminate the most integral part of your identity in purple, a nice compliment to the orange? Black and orange just doesn't communicate Phoenix Suns to me. The updated PHX-Bird logo is a downgrade too, something about the previous was more admirable. Why unveil a new court, but keep the same unis to mismatch and confuse people?

The Spurs alt is a bold move but I don't approve. The Spur alone just isn't convincing enough to do something like that. Leave that look to baseball.

The Blazers alt might be nice.

New York was a sappy update.

I actually like the new Suns court, as a Suns fan of 20+ seasons the lack of emphasis on purple disturbs me a little but I'll reserve judgement until they release the new uni's next season.

I do however hate the update to their logo. It's a huge downgrade IMO and looks cheesy.

NEW newsuns.jpglogosuns.jpg OLD

Something is just not sitting right with the NBA these days IMHO.

Too many confusing identities with teams using secondary logos as primary because of the logo changing fee. Jazz, Hornets, Raptors, Wizards, Bobcats, Suns and to an extent Sixers all use their secondary logos as primary. The fact that most of those secondary logos are quiet different from primary ones makes the matters worse.

On Suns i quiet like the new court even though they seem to be going away from purple. But they still havent changed PHX to Phoenix Suns <_<

So this leaves the Vikings, Lakers, Ravens, Rockies, and Sacremento Kings as the last teams to use purple, am I right?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like the Suns new court. But their suffering identity crisis is a matter of concern. They should follow the lead the Tampa Bay Lightning set, by unveiling their new uniforms mid-season so they can take in criticisms early and make the according adjustments.

Purple shouldn't be allocated, for one.

Archived