2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

Awesome on the sense that yeah, it' hits a certain nostalgic note for me much like someone who grew up in the 70s might find something rooted in 70s aesthetics neat.

It's all kitsch though. It's NOT what teams should strive for.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me, or is the "authentic" version of the Spurs alt sold on NBA.com different than the on-court product? The logo looks higher up and more off-center.

pDIT-13273511reg.jpg

Tucking it in would solve the height issue, not that that's how you'd wear it.

And I'm pretty sure it has always been off-center. Not sure how you'd measure just how far.

Can teams playing the Nets stop wearing their black alts? You are the away team. Represent your team's true colors and stop trying to blend into the other team's court.

I would have much rather seen the Raptors and T-Wolves in their actual road jerseys and have an actual contrast with the Nets.

You can add Magic to the list.

I wasn't watching the NBA in the 90's, considering I was a toddler, but I definitely think I would have enjoyed it more if everything from the courts to the uniforms wasn't so darn bland.

Huh? The '90s NBA was badass aesthetics-wise.

karl-malone_john-stockton.jpg

sample.jpg

tumblr_mc0co6T9VE1r4u8fmo1_500.jpg

Was it beyond gaudy? Yes... but that's what was so awesome.

Never own a pro sports team.

Can teams playing the Nets stop wearing their black alts? You are the away team. Represent your team's true colors and stop trying to blend into the other team's court.

I would have much rather seen the Raptors and T-Wolves in their actual road jerseys and have an actual contrast with the Nets.

the Cavs visit Brooklyn on Tuesday and then Boston is in town for the TNT Thursday game. It's gonna be so annoying if the Celtics choose to wear their green and black alternates that night.

the Cavs visit Brooklyn on Thursday and then Boston is in town for the TNT Thursday game. It's gonna be so annoying if the Celtics choose to wear their green and black alternates that night.

I could be misremembering but I think the Celtics only wear the blank-font alts for weekend games. But this one is nationally televised, so...

Speaking of, Boston also plays at Brooklyn on Christmas Day. That day will be chock full of color vs color games, right? So it'll be all-green vs. all-black?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

and these:

245731_la.jpg

so awful. gonna be a bunch of pajama-wearing bafoons out there.

The party responsible for this inline on the numeral should be thoroughly ashamed.

As for the lot, the Heat jerseys work, and the Lakers are the best of the bunch because of the high contrast. That's about it.

You know what? I like them. They're very clean and bold. Everyone couldn't stop saying how "cluttered" the Thunder's identity was. Now when they've taken steps to simplify it it's "atrocious."

Meh. It looks like a first draft or something ordered from a catalog. It also reminds me of Penn State more than the Thunder.

Well considering that Penn State does not have an NBA team, I don't get that feeling. To me it's a clean, unique, look.

As for OKC, those umbers look pretty blurry from a distance. No outlines would have been the way to go for me.

Completely agree, they look like they weren't cut out all the way, sort of like the Marlins new wordmark.

You know what? I like them. They're very clean and bold. Everyone couldn't stop saying how "cluttered" the Thunder's identity was. Now when they've taken steps to simplify it it's "atrocious."

Hopefully Oklahoma can "own" the blue and white look in the NBA.

The problem is it doesn't serve to tie in their identity. It just goes into a whole other direction. If they were to do a re-brand like this, it would make more sense, and you could even argue the navy represents the night sky, and the white the lightning that causes thunder. Just creates more confusion to me. I've said it before, if you have all of those bright colors, and young stars who like to dress in bright colors, during an era wear hip people are wearing nothing but crazy bright colors, why not take advantage instead of going all-Penn State.

I do agree that a non "BIG Color" Knicks orange alt could be decent, though. I only say "decent" because the wordmark and arm trim will always bug me.

I can see how it may be logical to hook your alternate uniform into your current identity. That is, by and large, how it's always been done, probably because it made sense to many people when the trend first began. After that, well, once you get the bandwagon rolling...

So, it's always been 'take your accent color, make it the main color, and re-color the trim and lettering accordingly,' but there really are no steadfast rules for how a team should treat an alternate. Given how much value is placed on innovation and going against the grain these days, it seems kind of stale for a team to simply re-color its normal uniform to create an alternate. I think teams are constantly looking for new ways to interpret the alternate jersey for the simple fact that it is an alternate. You can test out new looks, styles and colors without going all in with your identity. Sure, they missed an opportunity to utilize their bright accent colors, but if they went your route and did an expected orange uniform, wouldn't they have missed an opportunity to do something off-the wall, given that the alternate is your only opportunity as a team to depart from your identity in the first place?

Regarding hip people wearing nothing but bright colors: I think you'd be spot on two years ago, but that trend is waning, and I think it's waning partly in favor of more simple, premium, fashion-forward color schemes. I think the Nets and Thunder are ahead of sporting fashion, to be honest. In this day and age, everything seems to be in style because there is so much social visibility, but I think the Thunder are on trend.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Those Christmas jerseys are FUGLY, especially the Thunder one (surprise surprise) which has to be one of the worst jerseys i have ever seen.

Altough i have to admit the Miami Heat jersey looks very tolerable.. I probably would have bought one if i was Heat fan :o

"Those look FANTASTIC! Where can I pay someone for them?"

-Hipster kids who wear rock glasses without lenses. Also, people who buy large quantities of 5950's with team logos in ridiculous neon colors.

FYP.

I cannot see hipsters wearing these atrocities at all. The idiots who match everything to their "fitteds", however, well, I can totally see that. And they are probably the primary target for selling these. And they will sell, because there are a lot of these people out there, however moronic they may be.

Archived