2012 NFL week by week Uniform Match-ups thread

canzman

Honestly, it's no different than referring the classic Eagles' color as kelly green. Green is green, right?

Not at all, and it's completely different. Kelly green is an actual shade of green which distinguishes the color. Same with navy blue, vegas gold, etc. Wolf gray is meaningless. It doesn't refer to a particular shade. It is just a "kewl" sounding name Nike came up for the color so the Seahawks could feel fiercer. Same with Nike calling Oregon's stuff anthracite.

Exactly. I can look at the Eagles old kelly green and their new midnight green and see a noticable difference. Its like red vs. cardinal. Show me how Seattle's "wolf" gray is different from the Giants matte gray, the Lions matte gray... noticably different from any other dull light gray Nike NFL pants, and I'll call it that. Until then... its just gray.

Unless maybe they all wear wolf gray. Hey, can't wait to see the Giants, Lions, Patriots, and Panthers break out those wolf gray pants!

I just proved it in #534. :D

Nothing's definitive until we get CwX in here with colour swatches.

No disrespect, but Benjamin Moore is the real deal. They have wolf gray as an actual distinguished shade of gray. That closes the argument, period.

Yup. She provided proof. No need to continue to argue over something so insignificant.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, it's no different than referring the classic Eagles' color as kelly green. Green is green, right?

Not at all, and it's completely different. Kelly green is an actual shade of green which distinguishes the color. Same with navy blue, vegas gold, etc. Wolf gray is meaningless. It doesn't refer to a particular shade. It is just a "kewl" sounding name Nike came up for the color so the Seahawks could feel fiercer. Same with Nike calling Oregon's stuff anthracite.

Exactly. I can look at the Eagles old kelly green and their new midnight green and see a noticable difference. Its like red vs. cardinal. Show me how Seattle's "wolf" gray is different from the Giants matte gray, the Lions matte gray... noticably different from any other dull light gray Nike NFL pants, and I'll call it that. Until then... its just gray.

Unless maybe they all wear wolf gray. Hey, can't wait to see the Giants, Lions, Patriots, and Panthers break out those wolf gray pants!

No disrespect, but Benjamin Moore is the real deal. They have wolf gray as an actual distinguished shade of gray. That closes the argument, period.

Yup. She provided proof. No need to continue to argue over something so insignificant.

It's also called Gray Timber Wolf at The Home Depot. But it seems the conspiracy theorists on here must think both Benjamin Moore and The Home Depot are owned by Ancient Aliens, I mean Nike. lol

giorgio-tsoukalos.jpeg

The Lions, Patriots and Panthers pants are all silver, and the Seahawks shade of grey is definitely different than that of the Giants. But the fact that people are getting so upset from calling a color "wolf gray" is ridiculous.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I'm sure that they do, indeed, have a shade of grey called wolf grey.

Teams, however, have a bad habit of assigning random, meaningless names to the fairly common colours they use. It's entirely possible, and likely, that Nike/the Seahawks assigned the name "wolf grey" to a fairly standard shade of grey they happen to use. Which is why I want CwX to stop by with his official colour sheets. So we can see if the Seahawks' "wolf grey" is any different from the standard greys worn by other teams.

Example: The Texans use "Battle Red".

The difference is I don't see Texans fans on here going out of their way to type out the full name of the color everytime it comes up.

Write "wolf grey" if you wish, but it sounds stupid.

PS. thank you for indirectly reminding me of Seawolf. I haven't thought about them in a while and I like some of their stuff.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Actually "Battle Red" IS repeatedly used around here whenever the Texans wear their red jerseys or they're being discussed.

Here's a suggestion; get over it. It's a freaking color reference. Nobody's wrong, nobody's right. Shut up and move on.

(Oh, guess I should put up the non-meta-modding disclaimer. Just a member sick of unnecessary whining and moaning.)

The Lions, Patriots and Panthers pants are all silver, and the Seahawks shade of grey is definitely different than that of the Giants. But the fact that people are getting so upset from calling a color "wolf gray" is ridiculous.

This really is a pretty stupid conversation that should probably just die, but I have to point out this is no longer true. The Lions and Patriots pants USED to be silver... not anymore. Because Nike provided these teams with the super high-tech god-fabric that is .674% lighter and wicks away gobs of nasty man-sweat, these teams all wear flat matte gray. And to my eye (and that's all I'm saying... to the eye test) all those grays... and the Giants' gray, too... look the same. And since Benjamin Moore and/or Home Depot didn't slap a coat of paint on them, I'm going to assume until I see other wise on the official color sheets, they are either the exact same shade of gray, or so close that any difference is barely worth mentioning.

That said, everyone is right in saying that anyone can call it "wolf gray" if it makes them happy. Or Sad sky gray, or hippo gray, or bloated cadaver gray, or whatever. As for me, I'm just looking forward to the next Lions' game... Go honolulu blue and wolf gray!!!

They announced it on their Twitter

I wrote a blog post about it. I am kinda excited about it

http://butattheendof...s-this-weekend/

After reading that article which stated that NE had worn their white pants with their gray alternate uniform, that's gotta be incorrect.

Not just because NE doesn't have white pants, but every time they wore those gray jerseys I always remember them wearing their navy pants with them and their opponent wearing their colored jerseys...

This really is a pretty stupid conversation that should probably just die, but I have to point out this is no longer true. The Lions and Patriots pants USED to be silver... not anymore. Because Nike provided these teams with the super high-tech god-fabric that is .674% lighter and wicks away gobs of nasty man-sweat, these teams all wear flat matte gray. And to my eye (and that's all I'm saying... to the eye test) all those grays... and the Giants' gray, too... look the same. And since Benjamin Moore and/or Home Depot didn't slap a coat of paint on them, I'm going to assume until I see other wise on the official color sheets, they are either the exact same shade of gray, or so close that any difference is barely worth mentioning.

That said, everyone is right in saying that anyone can call it "wolf gray" if it makes them happy. Or Sad sky gray, or hippo gray, or bloated cadaver gray, or whatever. As for me, I'm just looking forward to the next Lions' game... Go honolulu blue and wolf gray!!!

Go back to your anti-Nike island and take Old Roman with you. Lions and Pats could have simply said "you know what Nike, but we're going to stay with our old pants." Nike simply makes the technology for the new pants, doesn't force anyone to wear them.

Well if your gonna go by specified textiles in the style guides, the Seahawks, Patriots, and Lions use the same textile color, while the Panthers, Raiders and Giants each use a unique textile color.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Go back to your anti-Nike island and take Old Roman with you. Lions and Pats could have simply said "you know what Nike, but we're going to stay with our old pants." Nike simply makes the technology for the new pants, doesn't force anyone to wear them.

This whole "nike doesn't force them to wear it" line has really become an old and tired bit. Yeah, we know... the teams made the decision, we get it. I didn't say or even imply otherwise. See, reread my post... I said nike "provided" the Lions and Pats with new pants. I chose that word carefully so I wouldn't have to hear the 1000th refrain of "Nike doesn't make them do it!!!!" and you still decided to pretend that "provided" and "forced" mean the same thing.

However, I am facinated by this concept of an "Anti-Nike Island"... that's awesome. So you and others would be on a Pro-Nike Island? And we could hurl insults and taunts at each other? On your island, everyone appears buff and photoshopped, with little swooshes on their kneepads, and on my island we're all grumpy and unshaven, and everything is black and white, because we think its still 1955? I'm in. :P

This whole "nike doesn't force them to wear it" line has really become an old and tired bit. Yeah, we know... the teams made the decision, we get it. I didn't say or even imply otherwise. See, reread my post... I said nike "provided" the Lions and Pats with new pants. I chose that word carefully so I wouldn't have to hear the 1000th refrain of "Nike doesn't make them do it!!!!" and you still decided to pretend that "provided" and "forced" mean the same thing.

However, I am facinated by this concept of an "Anti-Nike Island"... that's awesome. So you and others would be on a Pro-Nike Island? And we could hurl insults and taunts at each other? On your island, everyone appears buff and photoshopped, with little swooshes on their kneepads, and on my island we're all grumpy and unshaven, and everything is black and white, because we think its still 1955? I'm in. :P

All Nike does is say, "hey here's a pair a pants with some knew technology to make them lighter and more breathable. But in order to do that we couldn't get a fabric to match the same color as your old ones." All they do is make a product that players want to wear because of comfort. Yeah I miss the shiny pants but I don't sit and complain about Nike, because its just they're product to improve the function of the uniform. Teams decide if they want that or not. And this hating everything Nike does because it's Nike is just stupid. Honestly, they've changed football uniforms in a positive way for the future. Not the looks, because obviously the Jets mismatched greens and non-shiny pants are problems, but with materials and use of different fabrics for breathability and light weight are genius. The other companies copy Nike, which is the ultimate sign that they know what they're doing.

Go back to your anti-Nike island and take Old Roman with you.

Oh my G-d, enough with it! If you don't like hearing people express their opinions on a major athletic gear supplier in the uniform business you probably shouldn't be visiting a sports logo and uniform-centric forum. You moaning about people bashing Nike is just as tiring as you claim the bashing is.

Woohoo! Put on the Sinatra!

Yup. She provided proof.

Not quite....

Well if your gonna go by specified textiles in the style guides, the Seahawks, Patriots, and Lions use the same textile color, while the Panthers, Raiders and Giants each use a unique textile color.

If true then it proves that "wolf grey" as the Seahawks use it isn't a unique colour, and thus the name's just an example of Nike marketing. Goodnight folks ;)

The difference is I don't see Texans fans on here going out of their way to type out the full name of the color everytime it comes up.

PS. thank you for indirectly reminding me of Seawolf. I haven't thought about them in a while and I like some of their stuff.

I take it you don't encounter many Texans fans? As a Jags fan I do, and they ALWAYS say Battle Red. Always.

They announced it on their Twitter

I wrote a blog post about it. I am kinda excited about it

http://butattheendof...s-this-weekend/

After reading that article which stated that NE had worn their white pants with their gray alternate uniform, that's gotta be incorrect.

Not just because NE doesn't have white pants, but every time they wore those gray jerseys I always remember them wearing their navy pants with them and their opponent wearing their colored jerseys...

You're right. I double checked it and made the correction

Go A's!

I take it you don't encounter many Texans fans? As a Jags fan I do, and they ALWAYS say Battle Red. Always.

This is true. Came here to post the same thing.

If calling a color by it's name bothers you, why are you here? This isn't the site for you.

Archived