2012 NFL week by week Uniform Match-ups thread

canzman

Example: The Texans use "Battle Red".

The difference is I don't see Texans fans on here going out of their way to type out the full name of the color everytime it comes up.

Write "wolf grey" if you wish, but it sounds stupid.

PS. thank you for indirectly reminding me of Seawolf. I haven't thought about them in a while and I like some of their stuff.

I take it you don't encounter many Texans fans? As a Jags fan I do, and they ALWAYS say Battle Red. Always.

This is true. Came here to post the same thing.

Okay, bad example then. But if their fans actually do refer to their red as "battle red", then that's just as dumb. The Texans' red is not unique and it's the only red in their palette so going through the superfluous step of qualifying it as "battle red" when just saying red would've sufficed is just as stupid as insisting upon saying "wolf grey" when talking about the Seahawks.

If calling a color by it's name bothers you, why are you here? This isn't the site for you.

I work with colors every day. My job requires me to be very specific with colors. Pantone and PMS are apart of my everyday life This is the site for me. The issue I have is that you're insisting on labeling very ordinary, very commonly used colors with a name that was only attached for gimmicky corporate reasons.

But by all means, keep doing it if you guys want.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, it's no different than referring the classic Eagles' color as kelly green. Green is green, right?

Not at all, and it's completely different. Kelly green is an actual shade of green which distinguishes the color. Same with navy blue, vegas gold, etc. Wolf gray is meaningless. It doesn't refer to a particular shade. It is just a "kewl" sounding name Nike came up for the color so the Seahawks could feel fiercer. Same with Nike calling Oregon's stuff anthracite.

Exactly. I can look at the Eagles old kelly green and their new midnight green and see a noticable difference. Its like red vs. cardinal. Show me how Seattle's "wolf" gray is different from the Giants matte gray, the Lions matte gray... noticably different from any other dull light gray Nike NFL pants, and I'll call it that. Until then... its just gray.

Unless maybe they all wear wolf gray. Hey, can't wait to see the Giants, Lions, Patriots, and Panthers break out those wolf gray pants!

I just proved it in #534. :D

Nothing's definitive until we get CwX in here with colour swatches.

There goes TheOldRoman Nike bashing again. We get it, you hate Nike. Don't shove it down our throats. It's quite annoying actually.

Annoying to you perhaps. I think he's right on the money.

SeattleSeahawks_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Honestly, it's no different than referring the classic Eagles' color as kelly green. Green is green, right?

Not at all, and it's completely different. Kelly green is an actual shade of green which distinguishes the color. Same with navy blue, vegas gold, etc. Wolf gray is meaningless. It doesn't refer to a particular shade. It is just a "kewl" sounding name Nike came up for the color so the Seahawks could feel fiercer. Same with Nike calling Oregon's stuff anthracite.

Exactly. I can look at the Eagles old kelly green and their new midnight green and see a noticable difference. Its like red vs. cardinal. Show me how Seattle's "wolf" gray is different from the Giants matte gray, the Lions matte gray... noticably different from any other dull light gray Nike NFL pants, and I'll call it that. Until then... its just gray.

Unless maybe they all wear wolf gray. Hey, can't wait to see the Giants, Lions, Patriots, and Panthers break out those wolf gray pants!

I just proved it in #534. :D

Nothing's definitive until we get CwX in here with colour swatches.

No disrespect, but Benjamin Moore is the real deal. They have wolf gray as an actual distinguished shade of gray. That closes the argument, period.

Holy crap, I just realized that Benjamin Moore must be colorwerx' dad, or grandpa.

/only slightly kidding.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

There goes TheOldRoman Nike bashing again. We get it, you hate Nike. Don't shove it down our throats. It's quite annoying actually. Calling it Wolf Grey is, yeah, kind of dumb, but hey, if that's what the official name of the color is, even if it's made up, so be it.

Anywho, I actually wish the Seahawks would wear the Wolf Grey jersey for every road game, especially with the blue pants, but I don't mind the wolf greys.

There goes espnboy defending Nike again. We get it, you love Nike. Don't shove it down our throats and get irate whenever anybody says anything the least bit critical of Nike.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

There goes TheOldRoman Nike bashing again. We get it, you hate Nike. Don't shove it down our throats. It's quite annoying actually. Calling it Wolf Grey is, yeah, kind of dumb, but hey, if that's what the official name of the color is, even if it's made up, so be it.

Anywho, I actually wish the Seahawks would wear the Wolf Grey jersey for every road game, especially with the blue pants, but I don't mind the wolf greys.

There goes espnboy defending Nike again. We get it, you love Nike. Don't shove it down our throats and get irate whenever anybody says anything the least bit critical of Nike.

Touche, and I do support Nike alot I'll admit it, but it's gotten to the point on these boards where it's like this...

Notre Dame Uniform="Beautiful. Great Uniform."

Notre Dame Uniform with Nike swoosh on it="Nike has ruined this great uniform"

Obviously I'm exaggerating to making a point, but you get the point. I'm not 100% all on board with Nike, I don't get a chubby over Nike, but they are clearly the best out there in uniform design.

sorry for the files that don't work up there. Can't get rid of them. They don't show up when I edit the post to delete them. They were just pictures of what was described

I understand why the Saints went from a single white outline to a triple outline on their logo, but I disagree with it. Those throwbacks were incredible last year. However, let's not forget that the helmet color they used last year was also great. Look at how good that helmet looks! Unfortunately, they never got close to matching it with any elements of the previous uniform set, and then they tweaked the color this year to match Nike's khaki pants. Anyway, bring back the old gold set full-time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Was the Saints throwbacks from last year only a one time thing?

New Orleans is going to be in all black against Tampa Bay.

I loved those throwbacks. In my opinion, it's their best and look and should be the primary. The helmet would need adjusting, though.

11vs47k.jpg

As Gothamite said to which I agree, just slightly tweak the pants to match the helmets and gold stripes ... and use those same gold numbers on the white away jerseys.

and please ... shelf those stupid black stripe-less pants.

Matchup confirmations (via Twitter and TV)

Jaguars in black jersey, white pants

Browns in brown jersey, white pants

Redskins in white jersey, gold pants

Ravens in purple jersey, white pants

Broncos in white jersey, white pants

Giants in white jersey, gray pants

Falcons in red jersey, white pants

Bears in blue jersey, white pants

Packers in white jersey, gold pants

Texans in blue jersey, white pants

Colts in white jersey, white pants

Rams in blue jersey, blue pants