2012 NFL week by week Uniform Match-ups thread

canzman

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhetorical question since I don't expect anyone to know the definitive answer, but the fact that the Hawks are treating their alts as away uniforms, does this imply that a team could make their standard away uniform a similarly light colored shirt (not white)?

As McCall stated, yes, it does, provided they're a light enough shade of a gray as these Seattle jerseys are. If they were darker like a platinum then it would not be considered an away jersey.

There's no rule stating whether a team has to wear their alternate or throwbacks at home or on the road. The 3rd jersey can only be worn twice per season, that's it. Since they just changed here in 2012 they cannot make that the permanent road jersey until 2017 unless the NFL modifies that rule or they got NFL approval.

Once the alternates are worn, they cannot change for 5 years. They grey alternates will go away after the 5 years as the Seahawks have decided on throwback uniforms to be worn then. Wish they would wear the grey pants with the blue jerseys at home but as long as they are winning in the scuba blues at home, you will not see the grey pants.....

The Bears wore the same midnight blue throwbacks with the orange stripes, orange jersey numbers and nobs in 2010 as they wore today against Green Bay. Last season in 2011 they wore their orange alternates.

Try explaining that then ??

The jerseys they wore in 2010 were exempt from the NFL alternate policy because they were worn for a specific anniversary. The orange jerseys were still their alternate before and the year after, but took a one year hiatus because of the anniversary throwback. When they came back this year, the jerseys are simply a throwback that they are choosing to be their alternate like the Falcons, Bucs, Rams. It will be at least five years until the Bears can bring back the orange jerseys or introduce a different alternate.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Seahawks need to make the gray their permanent light color. Then either come out with a lime green or throwback as an alternate. There really is no need for the white, it doesnt really go with anything else in their identity.

This would be great!! However, green jerseys should only be for us (12th Fan) and never for the players. A throwback would be perfect.

Green pants would be interesting though.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5272/7087931311_dacd412441_o.png

The Seahawks need to make the gray their permanent light color. Then either come out with a lime green or throwback as an alternate. There really is no need for the white, it doesnt really go with anything else in their identity.

This would be great!! However, green jerseys should only be for us (12th Fan) and never for the players. A throwback would be perfect.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5272/7087931311_dacd412441_o.png

Such teases!

It's crazy I really was like "what is going on" when I saw seattles new unis for the first time.

And every single week I've just liked them more and more and this week is no exception.

http://farm6.static....acd412441_o.png

Such teases!

It's crazy I really was like "what is going on" when I saw seattles new unis for the first time.

And every single week I've just liked them more and more and this week is no exception.

I think seeing uniforms in-game stops you from dissecting every little flaw.

The jerseys they (Bears) wore in 2010 were exempt from the NFL alternate policy because they were worn for a specific anniversary. The orange jerseys were still their alternate before and the year after, but took a one year hiatus because of the anniversary throwback. When they came back this year, the jerseys are simply a throwback that they are choosing to be their alternate like the Falcons, Bucs, Rams. It will be at least five years until the Bears can bring back the orange jerseys or introduce a different alternate.

The uniforms the Bears wore both today and in 2010 were not 'anniversary' throwbacks. Anniversary throwbacks are what the Redskins wore this season for their 80th, their 75th in 2007, and their 70th in 2002. Just like the Eagles wearing their Kelly green throwbacks in 2010 which was the 50th anniversary throwback of their 1960 NFL Championship team.

What the Bears wore in 2010 were nothing more than a 'tribute' throwback to their 1940s era when they earned the nickname as 'Monsters of the Midway' ... I remember it being announced just as that in the months leading up to the 2010 NFL season

In 2004 the Bears wore 1946 throwback uniforms with their 60s logo on the helmets .... Perhaps in 2011 they could have worn a 1921 throwback to celebrate their 90th anniversary of their move from Decatur to Chicago?? Just kidding :)

It seems apparent that there's no definitive rule set in stone on throwbacks other than gaining NFL approval in advance and limiting them to being worn no more than twice per season.

5182189072_935661f8af_o.jpg

The whole 5 year theory also doesn't explain the Falcons when they introduced their new uniforms in 2003. The primary was the black. The following year, they changed the primary to red.

But they didn't introduce new uniforms. They just swapped the homes and alts.

The rule is largely in place to protect merchandise sales. The concern is that fans need to know that a jersey will stick around a while before buying one.

That didn't come into play with the Falcons, as they were selling the exact same blacks and reds before the re-designation as they were after.

And FWIW, it's not a "theory" unless you mean in the sense of scientific theory like evolution, atomic theory or "germs cause disease" - the 5-year rule has been publicly confirmed by at least one owner. Could have been changed since then, but we know conclusively what it used to be.

I think it was the Bucs' ownership who confirmed the five year rule. They said something along the lines of "we can't introduce an alternate for at least five years" after they promoted their throwback set to full-time alternate status.

Seahawks kinda looked like they had sweatsuits on.

That's what I was thinking the whole time. Theres a reason grey isn't used as a jersey colour and that's because it shows the players sweat stains. Not a good look. While the Hawks uniforms have grown on me, they're still a mess. The native pattern doesn't work and isn't even noticable on the helmets and numbers. They need to get riid of that patern and incorporate green more into the unis.

Out of all the people on these boards with all the people in high up places, doesn't anyone have official first hand knowledge of this "mythical" 5-year alternate uniform rule thing? Every time something like this come up theres always people arguing if it's real or not. We must have someone on these boards with some actually official knowledge.

I'm not a fan of gray being used as a substitute for white, as a jersey color. It just looks like a vaguely dingy version of the regular white, likr the uniforms need a good washing.

I thought the same thing back when the Patriots wore their wolf gray alternate jersey.

When NE wore those gray jerseys back then they wore their away navy pants with them and most people (other than us uniform nerds on here like me) probably didn't even notice the jerseys were gray rather than white. :)

Seattle's all-gray looked pretty good to me .... and I'll bet most people other than the usual crowd who posts on here probably didn't even realize they were all-gray rather than all-white. They weren't all that dark like the ones that Washington State wore this season.

Archived