2012 NFL week by week Uniform Match-ups thread

canzman

Did they wear that bottom one today?

Looks like they're wearing the top one.

The top one IS in fact the one they're using.

Was last week as well. I haven't been able to watch any of the games today, so I was wondering where the lower logo came into play. I've seen it as a logo on the Hall of Fame site, but ColorWerx referred to it as a patch.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of all the people on these boards with all the people in high up places, doesn't anyone have official first hand knowledge of this "mythical" 5-year alternate uniform rule thing? Every time something like this come up theres always people arguing if it's real or not. We must have someone on these boards with some actually official knowledge.

Not mythical at all - it was specifically confirmed by the owner of the Bucs when they unveiled their throwbacks.

Doesn't mean that the rule hasn't been changed in the interim, but it was in fact an honest-to-gods rule.

Out of all the people on these boards with all the people in high up places, doesn't anyone have official first hand knowledge of this "mythical" 5-year alternate uniform rule thing? Every time something like this come up theres always people arguing if it's real or not. We must have someone on these boards with some actually official knowledge.

Not mythical at all - it was specifically confirmed by the owner of the Bucs when they unveiled their throwbacks.

Doesn't mean that the rule hasn't been changed in the interim, but it was in fact an honest-to-gods rule.

Yep. Just like the $500,000 NBA logo change rule was confirmed by the Hawks in their uniform design thread when they changed to navy and red.

As far as the Bears go, I remember them in 2010 celebrating the Monsters of the Midway teams from the 1940s. The Bears did win the NFL Championship in 1940, so 2010 was an anniversary year for them. I'm guessing that they decided to include the rest of the 40s teams as part of the decade in their anniversary celebration because of how much success they had that decade. They were exempted from the 5-year rule like the Eagles were with their blue and gold throwbacks. The next year they decided to go back to their orange alternates and then this year decided they would rather use the throwbacks and made them their alternates. I don't have any official knowledge, this rule was only made public when the Bucs owner brought it up, it's just what I think is a logical explanation for why the Bears went 40s-orange-40s in consecutive years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yep. The wolf grey looks great. Really brings out the green accents.

tempRM1_5317--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

That's weird... I feel just the opposite. I think the light green shows up better against the white.

There's a Color Theory issue we teach in beginning Design classes called Color Value. (Not to be confused with Value as one of the 3 main variables of color… in that use “Value” means the relative lightness or darkness of a color as modified by black or white… in other words sky blue to navy blue.) But Color Value as a two word term generally refers to the inherent lightness or darkness of a Hue in it’s pure form, unaltered by black or white, as it can be compared to a nine-part gray scale. On a standard gray scale, if white is a 1, and black is a 9, true yellow can be directly compared to 2, true violet to 8. Etc. It’s just a fancy way of saying some colors are lighter than others, and its why most sports teams don’t try to wear yellow as a “dark” color.

At any rate, that light green the Seahawks are wearing is very close in Color Value to the gray they wear… giving it very little contrast of Value (darks and lights). On the other hand, the green is a big contrast of Saturation (along with Hue, Saturation… or “brightness and intensity… is another of the 3 main variable of color) against that light gray.

That’s what is so interesting about the use of color in Art or Design or any visual communication. Everyone reacts to something slightly different. To me, I like a strong contrast of light and dark… Purple and Gold, Navy and Orange… so that light green seems to bleed into the light gray. But if you react to the contrast in intensity (bright green vs. dull gray) to you it shows up better.

Sorry, if all that was boring or annoying (or pompous, maybe?)…I just graded 50 college freshman 2D design tests. I really just need to get some sleep

Seahawks kinda looked like they had sweatsuits on.

Do you think that about every MLB team when they are on the road then?

Not a baseball fan.

For the record, I liked the look. I just couldn't help thinking the Lineman looked like they were in sweatsuits. Hell, with the way they beatdown the Bills, they could've worn sweatsuits and been fine.

Could this be the week the Saints bring back the gold pants with their dark jerseys in Dallas? They never seem to go all black on the road. Also, the Bengals will most likely be in all white because the last 2 seasons they have alternated pant color on the road from game to game and last week they wore black pants at Philly.

tempRM4_7934--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

So the Seahawks helmets have bugged me all year, but I couldn't put my finger on why... until now. I admit I was the rare fan of their past monochrome set, so I thought perhaps I was just hung up on seeing that helmet with their more traditional previous set. BUT... could it be that the wolf gray does not appear on the helmet? I mean, sure there's gray there, but it sure doesn't look like the same wolf gray shade that is on the jerseys, and maybe that's true of the other unis with wolf gray trim.

Or is it just the lighting/materials playing tricks on me?

So the Seahawks helmets have bugged me all year, but I couldn't put my finger on why... until now. I admit I was the rare fan of their past monochrome set, so I thought perhaps I was just hung up on seeing that helmet with their more traditional previous set. BUT... could it be that the wolf gray does not appear on the helmet? I mean, sure there's gray there, but it sure doesn't look like the same wolf gray shade that is on the jerseys, and maybe that's true of the other unis with wolf gray trim.

It's because Wolf Gray in helmet decals appears lighter than they wanted so they ultimately decided on Pigeon Gray for the helmet decal. That was after ruling out Tabby Cat gray, Rat Gray, Dolphin Gray, Shark Gray, Koala Bear gray, Elephant Gray, and Jim Gray, but they still didn't get it quite right. These things are so hard to match across applications especially when using a color as unique and uncommon as WOLF gray.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's because Wolf Gray in helmet decals appears lighter than they wanted so they ultimately decided on Pigeon Gray for the helmet decal. That was after ruling out Tabby Cat gray, Rat Gray, Dolphin Gray, Shark Gray, Koala Bear gray, Elephant Gray, and Jim Gray, but they still didn't get it quite right. These things are so hard to match across applications especially when using a color as unique and uncommon as WOLF gray.

*snicker*

We get it already.

Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Archived