2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Again, I don't get blaming the replacement referees. They're thrown into the fire, they're NOT regular referees because they're NOT that good. Blame the NFL. Blame the regular referees. These guys are (I honestly believe) doing the best they can in a bad situation.

Did GB get jobbed? Yes. Do I think the replacement refs colluded/fixed it? Not at all. They're just not good to begin with.

Also, let's say Ed Hochuli is back next week and blows a major call. Everyone will be up in arms, right? Or will it be OK because he's Ed Hochuli?

Wait a sec, remember this doozy? : http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3589407

NEW YORK -- Ed Hochuli's acknowledgement that he erred on a call late in Sunday's San Diego Chargers-Denver Broncos game will mean lower grades for one of the NFL's highest-profile referees.

"Officials are held accountable for their calls. They are graded on every play of every game," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retained."

The play occurred with the Broncos at the Chargers' 1-yard line in the final minute. Denver quarterback Jay Cutler dropped back to pass, and the ball slipped out of his hands, bounced off the grass and into the arms of San Diego linebacker Tim Dobbins.

Hochuli ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it was spotted at the 10-yard line, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.

Denver went on to score, convert a two-point conversion and win 39-38.

The answer? Everyone will still be up in arms, because there have always been, are, and always will be calls that are either missed or botched. There's no perfect solution.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference is that the onus isn't on the officials. We knew from the getgo that these guys would suck, what we didn't know was that the NFL would be so content to let their glorious cash-cow be besmirched by these jokers so late into the season.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

And they're not just missed interferences, they're hits to the head, awarding mystery timeouts, causting a team a victory. No past screw up overlaps what has happened through three weeks. This week especially.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Not sure who tweeted this but ESPN shouted out this jewel: "Congrats to Russell Wilson...the first qb in NFL history to throw a game winning interception."

I honestly can't rag on the Seahawks or their fans for taking the win and running. Can't blame Tate or Wilson acting as if it was as close as we initially thought(pre-replay). I can't remember one time a team in any sport on the winning end of a controversial call admitted defeat. If it were Rodgers to Jennings in that spot I'm almost positive they'd say the same stuff. This shouldn't be about GB/SEA teams or fans ragging on one another, it should be about the NFL and this bogus duel with the refs. I honestly feel bad for these replacements. They can't win in this situation as they are grossly unfit for the speed and different style of play in the league. Just my 2 cents.

Notice how we only remember isolated incidents, though. That Hochuli mishap occurred four years ago - we cannot recall any other mishaps even close to that that Hochuli had before or since.

The replacement referees are making mind-bogglingly bad calls in seemingly EVERY game.

Well that was the first one that popped into my head, not just him but anyone. My point was, these things DO happen, nothing will ever be 100%.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Of course not. But how many times do the regular officials review a clearly-blown call in the booth... and then uphold it?

I think the refs might have been confused as to the "simultaneous possession" rule, thinking that it applied here when it didn't. That's the only thing that makes sense, but while it explains the terrible ruling it also illustrates why the NFL needs professionals working the games.

Yes, regular refs make bad calls too. But regular refs don't make this many mistakes in every game, aren't as easily confused by the rules, and aren't caught shilling for either their favorite teams or fantasy teams.

I really hate blaming the refs for a loss, but it's tme to pay the zebras what they want.

There are 2 outcomes to this:

1. The NFL/officials reach a deal

2. They don't reach a deal and the replacement refs become the full-time guys and "that's just the way it is"

The following are not solutions:

• Everybody should stop watching the NFL on TV.
  • Everybody should stop going to games.
  • Everybody should stop buying licensed merch.
  • Everybody should stop talking about the replacement officials/the NFL

...and other illogical suggestions that imply a comprehensive boycott. You have to think in more realistic and larger terms. The league has reached a precipice of popularity where it's embedded as a cultural institution. Getting asses in the seats matters on a franchise-by-franchise level, but it's merely a temporary inconvenience. For every 1 person that tears up their season tickets there's hundreds if not thousands of people who would gladly take their place. And changing the channel? Please.

Fans have every right to be upset, embarrassed and angry, but we shouldn't presume to overestimate our impact. Not with this league.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yup, Packers fans, the NFL just absolutely HATES your team. :rolleyes:

Look, it's actually not as horrible of a call as many of you are making it out to be. Is it the wrong call? Probably. But the fact of the matter is that the first time I watched the thing, I saw nothing wrong thinking it was a simultaneous catch. Refs make mistakes, especially ones possibly learning a new rulebook on the fly and adjusting to a game that moves much, much faster than anything they've ever seen before on the field.

And look, if you want this to change, STOP WATCHING THE NFL. They're bringing in the same exact kind of money and attention (if not more!) by having these replacement refs than with regular ones. If it really bothers you so much, stop watching, and if the ratings take a hit, they might actually, you know, do something about it.

6fQjS3M.png

Yup, Packers fans, the NFL just absolutely HATES your team. :rolleyes:

Has anyone actually said anything to the effect of the NFL being out to get the Packers? Or are you just trolling?

Look, it's actually not as horrible of a call as many of you are making it out to be. Is it the wrong call? Probably. But the fact of the matter is that the first time I watched the thing, I saw nothing wrong thinking it was a simultaneous catch. Refs make mistakes, especially ones possibly learning a new rulebook on the fly and adjusting to a game that moves much, much faster than anything they've ever seen before on the field.

We have replay specifically because people make mistakes, yet the play was reviewed with all the same camera angles that have been posted here, and they still ruled it a touchdown... and just for an added kick in the nuts, the replay official was a regular official, not a scab.

And look, if you want this to change, STOP WATCHING THE NFL. They're bringing in the same exact kind of money and attention (if not more!) by having these replacement refs than with regular ones. If it really bothers you so much, stop watching, and if the ratings take a hit, they might actually, you know, do something about it.

I'm already done with the NFL until the officials come back, and unless Goodell actually overturns the result of this game (something I highly doubt will happen), I can promise the Packers-Saints game next week will have some of the lowest ratings ever, locally.

Either way, I'm still done as long as the NFL keeps using scab refs.

Maybe this is just more evidence that the NFL (and football) has way too many rules as it is and could stand to go through and make some simplifications to the rulebook. There's no reason that play was anything other than an interception, but an overly complicated rule (as well as inexperienced officials) created the blown call.

There's precedence, a few years ago they eliminated the pushout rule, which took less judgment out of the hands of the officials. That was a good move.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Of course not. But how many times do the regular officials review a clearly-blown call in the booth... and then uphold it?

I think the refs might have been confused as to the "simultaneous possession" rule, thinking that it applied here when it didn't. That's the only thing that makes sense, but while it explains the terrible ruling it also illustrates why the NFL needs professionals working the games.

Yes, regular refs make bad calls too. But regular refs don't make this many mistakes in every game, aren't as easily confused by the rules, and aren't caught shilling for either their favorite teams or fantasy teams.

I really hate blaming the refs for a loss, but it's tme to pay the zebras what they want.

Exactly. Boggles my mind that people in this thread would actually prefer refs bungling simple calls and blowing big calls over the regular refs just because they're allegedly "biased" towards the big teams. Yeah, let's have more of THIS type of officiating, where teams get to use challenges despite having no timeouts, the playclock keeps rolling when it should be stopped, EXTREMELY unnecessary reviews due to a bang-bang call being bungled on the field, PI calls being influenced by the players (seriously, if you're a WR in the NFL, all you have to do to get a PI call on a close play is look at the ref, throw up the flag signal, and it WILL come. Roddy White's gotten like 3 of those this year), refs being pulled from games due to having ACTUAL bias, refs who officiated practice games for specific NFL teams (such as Seattle) now doing regular games, refs admitting that they play fantasy, refs calling 20 yard penalties, refs losing control of the game by the middle of the 1st, and of course, refs who botch big calls at the end of the game by having one ref indicate one thing and another indicate another (also happened in the Saints/Chiefs game in OT of that one, along with the obvious.). Yeah, let's have more of this, as long as it keeps those dastardly Patriots and Steelers from "cheating" their way to another ring. :rolleyes:

Get the real refs back...but I know it's not gonna happen any time soon because:

I can promise the Packers-Saints game next week will have some of the lowest ratings ever, locally.

No it won't.

Yep. Lambeau's still gonna be full. The NFL's still gonna pull in crazy TV ratings next week, and we're all still gonna watch, even if we're bitching and moaning like this on Tuesday morning...and until that changes (which it never will), the NFL will not be in any hurry to get the real refs back. Til then, we're stuck with the scabs for the foreseeable future.

I'll play devils advocate here. If the Packers would've tried to knock it down (as they are taught to do in that situation) this might have been avoidable.

Yeah, that worked for the Titans Sunday...

Anyone who saw Chiefs-Saints wouldn't have been surprised one bit by what happened in Seattle. For example, in OT, a Chief got tackled and when he hit the ground, the ball popped up in the air. Roman Harper grabbed it and started running as defenders will but it was so obvious that even I said to my wife, "Where's he going? The guy was clearly down." But as I watched in amazement, two replacement refs followed Harper down the field and signaled touchdown. The Saints win! Until they reviewed it and the refs finally saw what was obvious to begin with to anyone paying attention: it was clearly NOT a fumble or even close.

But the worst call of all in that game was their reversal of a Pierre Thomas catch that he ran in for a TD. The Saints ended up missing a FG and got nothing. Thomas clearly caught the ball (his hand/arm were under it) but somehow they reversed it. It's not as clear as the Packer INT but it's all just maddening because you never know what the refs are going to do.

Video - Thomas TD Overturned

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'll play devils advocate here. If the Packers would've tried to knock it down (as they are taught to do in that situation) this might have been avoidable.

That's interesting.

Usually when a team gets hosed by a call, this is what happens. People come out of the wordwork talking about the things they should have done to win the game. They'd talk about how many times the QB was sacked and how they should have put up more points. They do everything in their power to make sure anyone complaining knows that he or she is a whiner.

But not this time. Why?

Is it because the more important team was hosed (that's not how it usually goes)? Seriously, if this had happened to the Buccaneers, would their be this much outrage? And I am totally serious...maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's got nothing to do with America's Team getting screwed. It just seems like when the important teams get calls fans accept it (see: NBA and Super Bowls involving the Steelers but not the Packers).

Is it because we were just waiting to have the silver bullet, "proof", if you will, about how bad these officials are? We already knew, but we did not have the "poster child" call until now.

Really...we usually do all we can to say "it's not the officials' fault, because the team should have done X." But not this time. I don't usually feel that way, but most of us do.

As for the officials, I don't really blame the replacements. They are in WAY over their heads. I don't know what they are being paid for this, but it would not be enough for me to go out there and risk screwing games up; not in the internet era.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Is it because the more important team was hosed (that's not how it usually goes)? Seriously, if this had happened to the Buccaneers, would their be this much outrage? And I am totally serious...maybe I am wrong... It just seems like when the important teams get calls fans accept it (see: NBA and Super Bowls involving the Steelers but not the Packers).

This by a landslide.

The Seahawks get screwed in the Super Bowl (with the regular refs, no less)? Get over it and stop crying.

The Packers lose an early regular-season game on a questionable call after getting away with plenty themselves? TRAVESTY, OUTRAGE, KILLING THE SPORT!

The Sacramento Kings get screwed in the Western Conference Finals? Shouldn't have left it up to the refs.

The Lakers have a few calls go against them in the Celtics/Lakers '08 Finals? WHY DOES DAVID STERN HATE THE LAKERS SO MUCH

Personally, I blame the sports media for this mindset nowadays. Thanks to their laziness, we're now forcefed a narrative that only a couple teams in each league actually "matter," regardless of how good some of the other teams are, and it's rubbed off on the fans. Let's not pretend that if it was the other way around, with the Seahawks getting hosed and the Packers benefiting, there'd be this much outrage.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I believe the call on the field was simultaneous possession, and at that point the replay officials could not legally overturn the call. We know that it wasn't simultaneous possession, but once that's called on the field, it can't be overturned.

This was the last straw for me. The job the replacement officials have been doing this year across the league has been pathetic at best. Do I blame them? No. They have been put into a situation where they are just in way over their heads. For this, I blame the NFL.

I played DIII college football and so I have experience playing with refs of the same caliber we are now seeing on NFL fields. A lot of times, they weren't even that great of officials at the DIII level. It's no surprise for me to see them struggle so much now that they're in the NFL where the game is much faster and more complex.

Do the regular refs make mistakes? Absolutely, but not to the extend we're seeing this year.

I'm done watching the NFL until the replacement officials are replaced with the regular ones. The league is insulting my knowledge and love for the game I've spent a decade of my life playing myself. So I'm boycotting the NFL. Will my actions have an effect on the future actions of the league regarding the referees? Probably not, but I'm doing this more so for my own pride.

You may think I'm just being a butt-hurt Packers fan (which is probably true to an extent) but this just happened to be the nail in the coffin for me. I don't need to watch a sub par product of football which claims to be premier. I can get my fix of football on Fridays and Saturdays for more enjoyment than what I'm getting currently getting on Sundays and Mondays.

spacer.png

The notion that a lot of this publicity is happening due to the team it happened to is true, but I think it's also due to the stage. Had this gone the other way, it still might have led to outrage, not because it's the Seahawks, but because it was on MNF.

But back to the first point, that's long been one of my biggest complaints with the NFL. I'm sure I've mentioned it before.

I don't even remotely believe it's some organized conspiracy, so don't think I'm going there. But for a long time the refs have erred on the side of the better team or the better franchise. I assure you I've watched it for years with the Rams. But it never changes and it never gets attention because they're a bad club. Nobody takes initial notice because nobody is interested. And fans or anyone speak up about it, they're ignored or shot down because the team isn't any good. It's a frustrating reality.

All of that said, what is happening with the replacement officials has gone to a completely new level unrelated to any of the mishaps or subconscious favoritism of the past. It's getting really, really bad.

The league doesn't care what the fans think because we won't stop talking about the NFL or watching the NFL or playing fantasy football or buying tickets. Our only hope has to be that owners start to get upset about the outcomes of games being changed and move to do something about it.

Archived