2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

anybody see these on uniwatch?

[concept]

I love it. Sadly, what they'll actually wear is probably going to be boring, unimaginative, and billed as "classic." Hope I'm wrong though.

You're so off base here. Have you seen the leaked logos? What makes you think that logo, or any variation of it, will be associated with a traditional design?

Also you once again fall into the trap of assuming that if a look is traditionally styled it must be "boring" and "unimaginative."

Yeah, that's getting to be a pretty old bit, isn't it?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this. Do those holes really need to be there or are they there to either make the helmet look "kewl" or to advertise the helmet to colleges/highschools/pop warner players? Partly because I am on old fuddy duddy, but partly for the integrity of the logos, I'd rather the helmets be designed around the logos. They should never have designed a helmet that caused the Vikings to have to bastardize their 50-year old helmet design.

In fairness to Roman's point, the Dolphins probably should make this a consideration, but the thing that bothers me the most is the "kewl" helmet design to begin with. Or am I wrong? Is there some kind of advantage? I'd rather see the Riddel and Bike design (with the round ear holes) from the 80s.

No matter what Riddell might say, I don't see any way those holes add to the protection factor. They might provide air and slightly reduce the helmet weight, but the primary factor is likely to brand the helmet. I could buy that the back ridge on the Revo (which I always hated) is somehow functional in strengthening the helmet, but I don't think the air holes could be, based on the construction around it.

Of course, safety is important. While the Revo Speed is undoubtedly lighter, I think claims that it is x% safer than other helmets are spurious. Until anyone presents a case that is so compelling that we change everything we know and completely lose the idea of branded helmets with logos, we should stop using designs that screw up logos. We shouldn't destoy the visual identity of teams just so players can maybe be slightly more comfortable.

I'd almost bet money those vents are there for a very important purpose - namely, to allow the shell to flex and prevent a compromising crack in that location. Similarly, the way the pads are placed in those helmets promotes allows for airflow from the vents on the crown to the rear vents with little obstruction.

The engineer-in-training in me sees exactly why they're there. It might be annoying to have decals like the Vikings's cut off, but there is no way in hell I'm going to compromise a product because of an addition to said product.

good to hear from someone who knows far more about this than I. do you think the Revolution is an inferior helmet to the Speed then? or do you see much of a difference?

i think we all agree putting out the best product possible is goal #1. and again i put the blame on the teams themselves for jacking up their own logos. its not like Ridell dosent offer any other options, or there arnt options outside of Ridell

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I agree with this. Do those holes really need to be there or are they there to either make the helmet look "kewl" or to advertise the helmet to colleges/highschools/pop warner players? Partly because I am on old fuddy duddy, but partly for the integrity of the logos, I'd rather the helmets be designed around the logos. They should never have designed a helmet that caused the Vikings to have to bastardize their 50-year old helmet desig

While I am all for good visual design as a parent when it comes to the "design" of a helmet I think the most important factor is protection and not how a logo looks on it.

I think others have made my point for me, but yeah, safety first. I was questioning the value of it and I suspect (though I admit I really don't know) that these design features are more about marketing then safety or even functionality. Is there a functional advantage to earholes that are not round?

Absolutely. Now, I think the earhole is one area that the speed is taking advantage of for a distinguishable feature, but the triangular shape is much stronger when under the kind of point load a helmet will face. When the facemask is hit, that load is distributed across the helmet, and the triangular shape of the earhole will withstand that force better than a circle.

Now, a circle is the strongest shape, but that isn't the case when applied to the ridge/crease found in the Speed's jaw pad. Likewise, that's probably (or at least partly) why VSR-4s had a dome around the earhole. In that setting, the circular cutout is incredibly strong.

I have no engineering knowledge so I'll have to take your word for most of it, but part of me will always wonder whether it has to be this way. Then gain, if they were going to bastardize a team's helmet logo, it would make sense for them to find a significant team rather than the vikings. In any case, if that hole really has to be right there, and the purpose is for the durability of the helmet (as opposed to air), the Vikes should be able to just put the decal right over it, correct?

My favorite is calling them "lazy".

As if click-filling the latest template is so creatively demanding...

I think "lazy" is becoming the most over-used term on the board.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

anybody see these on uniwatch?

[concept]

I love it. Sadly, what they'll actually wear is probably going to be boring, unimaginative, and billed as "classic." Hope I'm wrong though.

You're so off base here. Have you seen the leaked logos? What makes you think that logo, or any variation of it, will be associated with a traditional design?

Also you once again fall into the trap of assuming that if a look is traditionally styled it must be "boring" and "unimaginative."

Yeah, that's getting to be a pretty old bit, isn't it?

That and the notion that we're a bunch of old farts if we dare say a uniform that looks bad, well, looks bad.

It's not about traditional, modern, or Oregon. If it isn't good looking, we'll likely say that. Same if it actually looks decent. A lot of traditional styles have looked bad too (see late 80s Phoenix cardinals).

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

There will be new Military Appreciation sideline hats in November, so look forward to that.

And while we're at it, get rid of the Chiefs and Redskins. For that matter, Raiders and Buccaneers are insensitive and remind me of violence.

And I knew a guy who got pecked in the head by a cardinal once. Never mind that the team was named for the color, the logo is an insensitive bird.

So, "Guy Pecked By Bird" Inline25.gif Mass Colonial Genocide of Indigenous Peoples. Thanks for putting us back on track, though.

I can't believe I am gonna say this, but I actually like the picture below:

I do too, aside from the fact that the teal is too dark compared to the template mocks. I don't care for the numbers as they are, but this is at least an improvement over what they Phins wear now. I think we'll see something dramatic, but not quite as "different" than this. Either way, it's going to be a boost for this franchise, and some will love it, some will hate it.

On 3/15/2013 at 2:03 PM, MattMilone said:
On 3/13/2013 at 1:10 PM, LourdOfTheFly said:
On 3/13/2013 at 0:59 PM, Bmac said:

There will be new Military Appreciation sideline hats in November, so look forward to that.

And while we're at it, get rid of the Chiefs and Redskins. For that matter, Raiders and Buccaneers are insensitive and remind me of violence.

And I knew a guy who got pecked in the head by a cardinal once. Never mind that the team was named for the color, the logo is an insensitive bird.

So, "Guy Pecked By Bird"  Mass Colonial Genocide of Indigenous Peoples. Thanks for putting us back on track, though.

Ha.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Can the next person who quotes that insanely huge image (which is only a concept and doesn't even belong here) be banned please?

Sorry. I tried to resize them when I quoted. The editor let me resize them to very small. But when I saved, it brought it back to full size.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

This may be a stupid question, but doesn't the NFL have to approve the uni changes?

If that's the case maybe we'll have to wait 'til after the league meetings next week. Maybe Dolphin ownership had approval for the logo that was leaked but then after hearing fan reactions decided to change some things thus needing approval again.

I wonder how this was handled when the niners had that hideous one-day 49ers helmet.

Brandon Boykin tweeted the following yesterday:

@BrandonBoykin2: Gettin my mom & @tess_rary a double deuce Kelly green throwback tomorrow. Tis the season to #bleedgreen

Any indication that the Eagles will be wearing throwbacks this year?

Going back to kelly green full time would be one of the best moves the Eagles have made in a long time.

...on another note, I just saw some highlights on the Jaguars-past, and realize how much I miss the original teal jerseys.

you know what, there is something intriguing about these concepts, although they would probably look like garbage i real life...

8540290922_bde5f67d55_z.jpg

It's kind of funny, being a traditionalist, I actually don't hate this concept. But as stated above, in real life I think it would look like they're wearing acid-washed jeans from the '80s.

I agree with this. Do those holes really need to be there or are they there to either make the helmet look "kewl" or to advertise the helmet to colleges/highschools/pop warner players? Partly because I am on old fuddy duddy, but partly for the integrity of the logos, I'd rather the helmets be designed around the logos. They should never have designed a helmet that caused the Vikings to have to bastardize their 50-year old helmet desig

While I am all for good visual design as a parent when it comes to the "design" of a helmet I think the most important factor is protection and not how a logo looks on it.

I think others have made my point for me, but yeah, safety first. I was questioning the value of it and I suspect (though I admit I really don't know) that these design features are more about marketing then safety or even functionality. Is there a functional advantage to earholes that are not round?

Absolutely. Now, I think the earhole is one area that the speed is taking advantage of for a distinguishable feature, but the triangular shape is much stronger when under the kind of point load a helmet will face. When the facemask is hit, that load is distributed across the helmet, and the triangular shape of the earhole will withstand that force better than a circle.

Now, a circle is the strongest shape, but that isn't the case when applied to the ridge/crease found in the Speed's jaw pad. Likewise, that's probably (or at least partly) why VSR-4s had a dome around the earhole. In that setting, the circular cutout is incredibly strong.

I have no engineering knowledge so I'll have to take your word for most of it, but part of me will always wonder whether it has to be this way. Then gain, if they were going to bastardize a team's helmet logo, it would make sense for them to find a significant team rather than the vikings. In any case, if that hole really has to be right there, and the purpose is for the durability of the helmet (as opposed to air), the Vikes should be able to just put the decal right over it, correct?

In theory, yeah.

My guess with regard to them cutting the logo is that there is only about 1" of logo attached behind the vent. When the player perspires, that logo is going to want to come off of the helmet if it crosses that vent hole. For the part with a larger area affixed to the helmet, this isn't an issue, but that ~0.75 sq. in. decal isn't likely to hold up/stick onto the helmet after very long. I'd imagine that's why they cut it.

Archived