Island_Style

New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

RIP, Fluer-De-Bee, one of the best logos in sports. :cry:

Hugo, I hope to see you back in Charlotte where you belong.

I literally spit out my root beer and was glad my computer didn't crash. It is such a horrible name. What do you guys think?

It has a lot of history behind it, although that's an alien concept to you. Pelicans is a good name for a New Orleans team.

I literally spit out my root beer and was glad my computer didn't crash. It is such a horrible name. What do you guys think?

It has a lot of history behind it, although that's an alien concept to you. Pelicans is a good name for a New Orleans team.

It's a great name! Pelicans has history, is a nasty bird that eats other birds, and is fun. Nobody complains about a NFL team called the Dolphins. I'm excited if this is true.

Pelicans just does not sound professional.

I think minor league but the NBA has some of those already.

I would prefer Spirits or even Spirit.

Pelicans just does not sound professional.

I think minor league but the NBA has some of those already.

I would prefer Spirits or even Spirit.

Having a singular team name is as minor league as you can get without swapping a 'z' for an 's'.

Like I said in the other thread, I really liked the Hornets but won't be disappointed if the Bobcats change to it. I think Pelicans is a great name for the team.

It's certainly not a name that's going to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents, nor does "New Orleans Pelicans" roll off the tongue particularly gracefully, but they definitely needed to change it so even if Pelicans wouldn't be my first choice I do think any change is a good thing.

But surely they could've come up with something better though, especially when the city has such rich lore and history.

who would have thought BASEketball had it right all along...

Maybe they could've arranged a three-way team name trade. Charlotte would become the Hornets again, New Orleans would become the Jazz again, and Utah would become the Utah Bobcats (or something else entirely). Win-win-win.

who would have thought BASEketball had it right all along...

I must be missing it.... What'd they get right, now?

Maybe they could've arranged a three-way team name trade. Charlotte would become the Hornets again, New Orleans would become the Jazz again, and Utah would become the Utah Bobcats (or something else entirely). Win-win-win.

exasperate.gif

Why does "Utah Jazz" bother so many people? I'm fine with it. Just leave it be, already!

Tiger.jpg

Why does "Utah Jazz" bother so many people? I'm fine with it. Just leave it be, already!

Eh, I don't think it really bothers most people at all. It's just a joke about how some NBA names don't really fit the team's location, like the Jazz and Lakers.

I think Pelicans works for NO, though. As stated, there is a bit of history with that name and it's a chance for NO to rebrand to something they fell will better fit their city.

Utah Jazz is fine. I'm sure 99% of NBA fans are more familiar with the Utah Jazz than the New Orleans Jazz. Stockton and Malone played for the Utah Jazz. The Utah Jazz have history, the New Orleans Jazz don't.

New Orleans Pelicans. Embrace it.

Get out.

(@ Cujo) Leave it "bee?" Got it...

Pelicans??? I like the familiarity of that name in NOLA, but I would have preferred "Brass" or a reprise of the ABA entry's name, "Buccaneers."

As for the Hornets, I'm all for that name reverting to Charlotte. "Teal and purple, teal and purple, teal and purple, teal and purple..."

not-sure-if-trolling-or-not.jpg

RIP, Fluer-De-Bee, one of the best logos in sports. :cry:

Agree. I hope they can make a cool Fluer-de-lis inspired alt for the Pelicans too. Maybe something along the lines of Tulane's alt logo, but obviously in more of a Fluer-de-lis shape.

1400078.jpeg

• Dumping the "Hornets" name: Thumbs down. It's a fine name and has been pointed out, we are losing a great alt logo in the fleur-de-bee.
  • Pelicans: Given that they are doing this, thumbs up. It's a fine name. There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing a bird (the state bird, at that). It is unique in major pro sports and is not tacky. It beats the heck out of "Wild".
  • The likely use of "Hornets" by Charlotte: Thumbs WAY down. I know, we all liked the Charlotte Hornets, but franchise confusion bugs me. The only thing worse is if they gave the new hornets the "history" that the current franchise had in exhange for the Bobcats history being housed in New Orleans. I prefer obvious franchise lineage and even feel that the Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns. Additionally, I never minded "Bobcats". Beats "Heat" and "Magic."
  • The long shot that Utah gives up "Jazz" to New Orleans. Thumbs even further down. More franchise confusion, but given the "Pelicans" name, seems unlikely.