New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why decide to change all of a sudden? I guess the new owner wants to put his stamp on the team. Pelicans, eh? Hopefully the owner's name isn't Eli.

No it's Tom, as in Tom Benson, owner of the New Orleans Saints.

Bob Johnson = "BOB"cats

Some guy named Eli =P"ELI"cans

The team thankfully is not in some lame way having the owner's name in it, which is what I was getting at.

I firmly believe that a better name would be the New Orleans Nutsaxx, and it's mascot could be a saxophone playing scrotum. It would be more memorable than pelicans, anyway.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I firmly believe that a better name would be the New Orleans Nutsaxx, and it's mascot could be a saxophone playing scrotum. It would be more memorable than pelicans, anyway.

BUT WHUTZ A NUTT-SAK GOT 2 DO WITH DA BIG EAZY??/ THAY SHUD BE THE JAZZZ GODAMIT!

6uXNWAo.png

I was actually hoping for New Orleans Brass, but Pelicans is different enough that it could be cool. Just depends on how they decide to proceed with branding. Unfortunately a lot of the most recent rebrands have turned out pretty bad, Warriors, Jazz, and Suns (logo).

I can only imagine if Charlotte became the Hornets. That team has gone through so many uniform/logo changes in their brief existence, adding a name change on top of all that? They just need to pick an identity and stick with it. Other than the nostalgia, I don't get all the love for the Hornets name. There's nothing wrong with Bobcats.

Maybe they could've arranged a three-way team name trade. Charlotte would become the Hornets again, New Orleans would become the Jazz again, and Utah would become the Utah Bobcats (or something else entirely). Win-win-win.

Klaatu... barada...

119865.gif

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The Los Angeles Bobcats of Anaheim.

The Los Angeles Basketball Playing Bobcat Animals of Staples Center of Downtown Los Angeles, Close Enough to Anaheim

The Los Angeles Basketball Playing Bobcat Animals of Staples Center of Downtown Los Angeles, Close Enough to Anaheim basketball club

The basketball club part gives it more of a classic feel.

I'm actually thinking about making some concepts for some of the name suggested here, mainly the ones that are jokes, would anyone have a problem with me doing that?

It really isn't that bad, it's not even in the bottom 5 of team names. Intimidating? This isn't little league football. These are grown men. How much fear does a Celtic strike in you? Spurs give you nightmares?

It's a solid name. And there's no way it even comes close to the nba's last name change...

My first thought was Pelicans was a bit, eh... but like a few posters above have said... I dislike is less and less every time I hear it. I just hope they have some sort of unique color scheme. I saw the wife of the owner is in favor of navy, red, and gold. The last thing we need is another navy and red team. I like the idea of them adding gold, like a New Orleans Saints gold, not the marigold yellow they have now. I think gold and light blue would be a nice combo for them. It would be unique color pallet, can have multiple solid colored jerseys, etc.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Possible SuperFan Zones behind the basket:

• "The Throat Pouch"
  • "The Anchovies" (primary diet of Brown Pelican, native to LA)
  • "Big Gulpers"

Etc.

edit: to further elaborate on what a crapass color scheme RWB (and the alleged gold) is that the Brown Pelican is actually sort of pleasant to look at. A sea-blue, some sort of faded yellow and a stately brown/grey/sand would be fantastic and unique.

But this is the NBA we're talking about, so bust out the RWB set with a stupid black alt.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Possible SuperFan Zones behind the basket:

• "The Throat Pouch"
  • "The Anchovies" (primary diet of Brown Pelican, native to LA)
  • "Big Gulpers"

Etc.

edit: to further elaborate on what a crapass color scheme RWB (and the alleged gold) is that the Brown Pelican is actually sort of pleasant to look at. A sea-blue, some sort of faded yellow and a stately brown/grey/sand would be fantastic and unique.

But this is the NBA we're talking about, so bust out the RWB set with a stupid black alt.

Totally forgot about the brown/sand color. Talk about a color pallet the would be completely unique to a team in the NBA. Something like sand/brown, with light blue, white... and possibly a sea green as strictly an accent color.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived