Great Players in Terrible Uniforms

Chawls

I missed the part where the Sabres' red alternates were terrible.

- part of the team's switch to the then-trendy red and black in the 90's

- has a (IMO) weird logo for the crest, never seen before or since; sort of a cartoonish caricature of the classy original logo

- has another logo that I think is generally disliked on the shoulders (the goat head)

- has a sublimated design on the hem stripe

It's got some strikes against it, at least. I'd say it's worse than at least half of the other uniforms posted in this thread.

I happen to actually like that logo, and the jersey. With a few tweaks, It would be a classic uniform.

On the bright side, everybody has brought life into this otherwise-moribund sub-forum.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ladainian-tomlinson-2006.jpg

Wow. I absolutely loved that look.

Seemingly everybody does on here. I've never liked it, though - I found it plain and it's completely devoid of our traditional powder blue. The boring-ass navy is symbolic of the Spanos family's ineptitude - most of the fans prefer powder blue, but they keep forcing in navy because it's their favorite color.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Seemingly everybody does on here. I've never liked it, though - I found it plain and it's completely devoid of our traditional powder blue. The boring-ass navy is symbolic of the Spanos family's ineptitude - most of the fans prefer powder blue, but they keep forcing in navy because it's their favorite color.

Agree 100x - Their current set is not the greatest but it beat these uniforms any day.

spacer.png

The Chargers' current set is among the worst in the NFL. The previous set was great. Even if you didn't like the color scheme, the design was flawless and timeless. It was (essentially) the same design as the throwbacks they used to wear, just with different colors. That design would have looked great in any color scheme. The current design is horrendous. Add in the "one of everything" color scheme and the "yellow + blue makes green" number outlines and you have one of the worst pieces of crap to ever see a professional football field.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Chargers' current set is among the worst in the NFL. The previous set was great. Even if you didn't like the color scheme, the design was flawless and timeless. It was (essentially) the same design as the throwbacks they used to wear, just with different colors. That design would have looked great in any color scheme. The current design is horrendous. Add in the "one of everything" color scheme and the "yellow + blue makes green" number outlines and you have one of the worst pieces of crap to ever see a professional football field.

Not to mention the inconsistent color panels on the same uniform. bolt on a white helmet, but when the bolt is on white pants or white jersey it has to be contained in a blue box. It feels like the helmet and the rest of the uniform was designed by different people independent of one another.

Then there's the lightning bolts on the shoulders. They're really more like sleeve stripes so instead of "striking" downward like they did on the old jerseys and like they do on the helmet, they look like they're just laying there.

The number font is a skinny, ugly mess. The old numbers were football numbers that looked sharp with the double outlines.

The old uniforms weren't trying too hard.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Probably in the minority on this one, but I don't think McNabb OR Roethlisberger are great players.

Two Superbowl victories for Big Ben and you don't think he is a great player? I suppose you prefer someone like Brady Quinn? I will agree there may be some doubt about McNabb, but he was great for many years as an Eagle.

Dude, Eli Manning has two rings, and I don't see anyone lining up to call him an all-time great.

I would say Both of the manning brothers are great players regardless of how many Super Bowls they won

The previous Chargers set has a lot of similarities to the previous Bengals set to me. Both were great uniforms that I greatly under appreciated at the time. They take a traditional football design like the shoulder loop and add something unique that ties into the team name without going over the top. I remember thinking both were kind of dull at the time (I was also pretty young at this point), but seeing how both those teams screwed it up makes me appreciate the previous designs a lot more.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Also, anything from the Jordan-Wizards era. The colors are great, but they sure had fugly wordmarks and number fonts.

michael-jordan-wizards.jpg

I must've watched at least a dozen Wizards games when they had MJ and this STILL looks like a photoshop to me.

Count me in as one that hated this look. I actually think the current look is PERFECT. No changes needed.

I actually like the Chiefs uniforms quite a bit, but an all-white uniform with a red helmet is not a good look:

joe-montana-chiefs-trade-i9.jpg

warren-moon-chiefs-e1329340307379.jpg

The Chiefs' red britches are so nice that this look never need see the light of day. Even so, this would be improved quite a bit with the red socks. I hate white pants with white socks almost as much as dark colr pants with same dark color socks. Jets do it too. Nasty.

Archived