Thrift Store Gems 2013

johnnysama

NWT Warmup style jacket by Reebok. Originally $80, $12 at TJ Maxx:

318781_10201007483490090_205032850_n.jpg

Found at a thrift store. Vintage collection. $0.89 Sorry for the large images

Sweet Thrashers jacket. That's probably more of a windbreaker than an insulated jacket, right?

Blueland, did they have this in a XXL? That's the jacket I regret not getting last time I was at the Bulb

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWT Warmup style jacket by Reebok. Originally $80, $12 at TJ Maxx:

318781_10201007483490090_205032850_n.jpg

Found at a thrift store. Vintage collection. $0.89 Sorry for the large images

Sweet Thrashers jacket. That's probably more of a windbreaker than an insulated jacket, right?

Blueland, did they have this in a XXL? That's the jacket I regret not getting last time I was at the Bulb

Orgo, it's more like a windbreaker, but would be great to go for a run in cool weather (it has slits in the back for ventilation)

Andy, I didn't see an XXL. Only XL. Sorry. :( This is the only store i have seen them at.Buuuuttttt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLANTA-THRASHERS-JACKET-2XL-/161000108904?pt=US_CSA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item257c5ab368

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

I love seeing what you guys find, however being from Australia, I don't get the opportunity to go Thrift shopping for sporting gear, I will be in the US in June/July though and would love to go to some of these stores. I was just wondering what are good places to go to, where to look and any other general tips. I will be in Seattle and Whidbey Island (Washington), Chicago(Illinois), Jackson(Mississippi) and New Orleans(Louisiana). Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated and I cant wait to see if I can find something :)

Like the guys said TJ Maxx and Marshalls are good, I find some good steals for jerseys, etc. at Red, White and Blue Thrift stores, they are in like 8 states and have a wide variety of sports stuff.

Went to the thrift store yesterday, and was on the fence about buying about 5 things. Came away empty handed.

Passed up: Portland Lumberjax t-shirt, $6 (if it was long sleeve, would have bought it), New York Rangers jersey shirt with no NOB, $7 (if it had the Lady Liberty logo, would have bought it), Guelph Storm playoff t-shirt, $3 (if it didn't have a year, I would have bought it), and a Syracuse Crunch albino gorilla Zenon Konopka jersey shirt, $4 (if the logo was larger and centered, i would have bought it.)

Overall, nice to see some sports stuff back at the thrift store, though.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

At a Goodwill store in Davenport, Iowa I came across 5 6-packs of these Suns Coke bottles from '93. On the next shelf was this sweet Charlotte Hornets clock. Just thought they were too awesome not to share.

IMG_20130420_113737_924.jpg

IMG_20130420_113553_824.jpg

I love seeing what you guys find, however being from Australia, I don't get the opportunity to go Thrift shopping for sporting gear, I will be in the US in June/July though and would love to go to some of these stores. I was just wondering what are good places to go to, where to look and any other general tips. I will be in Seattle and Whidbey Island (Washington), Chicago(Illinois), Jackson(Mississippi) and New Orleans(Louisiana). Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated and I cant wait to see if I can find something :)

I wish I could be more helpful far as advising where you could look in Chicagoland, but then again, even though I have family down there, I haven't visited in over a decade...there was this one swap meet a cousin and I went to once back when we were about 12-13 or so, though our consistent failures in renting NBA Live 96 from Blockbuster were the main funny-in-hindsight memory (it was Chicago in the mid 90s, at the height of Bulls mania).

My curiosity's been piqued, though...from your post, would I be safe in assuming the vast majority of Aussies who buy any gear, whether it be AFL, NRL, A-League, national shirts or what have you, tend to hold onto it? And I figure anything you DID find in thrift stores was in kids' sizes?

Far as the random ish in random places: Suns Coke bottles in Iowa...Minny Wild tees in the ATL...anything from the Rio Grande Valley in friggin Thunder Bay...yeah, that would be random. My neck of the woods, a white Packers jersey would qualify as random solely because you'd be surprised how few of those end up in Goodwill or VV. Most of the ones I've come across there are in home green. Of the random finds I own, you got a Puerto Rico WBC cap (even though I aint Boricua), a Rams Jerome Bettis jersey, and an Expos mini helmet I'd bought at a dollar store. And if you count books, Winning at All Costs, a history of Italian futbol calcio that I'd found an entertaining read, and another one I'd recommend is Cane Mutiny, which is basically The U in book form. Last one I'd recommend before I end this is Tip Off, about the 84 NBA Draft...yeah, you get the by-now overanalyzed Jordan-Sam Bowie debate, though a certain undersized foward (who may be wrong, but I doubt it) steals the show.

Random find I wish I hadn't left on the rack: I've bought myself a few blanks in different summers. Pinstriped Pacers white, Jazz mountains (also white)...but MAN...a personal holy grail I'd had in my hands, only to put back...a blank Warriors jersey. Not just any Dubs jersey, though...THE CITY. THE :cursing: CITY.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

At a Goodwill store in Davenport, Iowa I came across 5 6-packs of these Suns Coke bottles from '93. On the next shelf was this sweet Charlotte Hornets clock. Just thought they were too awesome not to share.

IMG_20130420_113737_924.jpg

IMG_20130420_113553_824.jpg

Interested in selling the clock at a somewhat reasonable price?

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

I have had zero luck finding anything for about a year so when I saw these at Marshall's I pulled the trigger... Maybe it'll will lead to some more luck in other stores soon. I'm not the biggest fan of last year's stars and stripes hat but I have worn my Red hat with the flag in the P so much, figured this will grow on me.

And this Thaddeus Young jersey was one of the most peculiar things I've come across. I couldn't find any links or pictures about the Sixers involved with the NBA Go Green but it had all the stickers and I can rarely pass up basketball jerseys. So for just over $25, I'm happy with my choices.

Jerseyandhat.png

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

mJyH8DAJJwHYWG0IDYxDl2w.jpg

$5 at Ross. They also had an awesome faux retro North Stars dangle cap. I didn't buy it since it didn't fit, but I should've.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Where did you find that?

If you're referring to me; ebay. I was actually moments away from bidding on a white size XL for around $100 delivered (when I preffered the Navy, and would have to get a size XL tailored down to my size). Decided to do a quick search before coughing up the $100 and was shocked to find an Australian listing. I used to have an ebay saved search for the Fisherman jersey, but deleted it due to never finding anything ideal at a good price and needing more real estate in my saved searches. It was just perfect timing for me that I happened to manually search just 1 day before the listing ended.

Another good thing is the patch seems to be larger than most other Fisherman's jerseys I've seen.

971324_993895838066_59408875_n.jpg

Went on a mission to buy a fitted Charlotte Hornets cap today. FootAction finally had the fitted hat I wanted after everywhere else only had snapbacks or the one with the huge ugly HWC logo on the back. Tag says $28 but it rang up $5. Today was a good day.

Also: Winston-Salem Warthogs 5950 at Goodwill for $2. It's a 7 1/2 (too big for me) but pretty sure it's spoken for.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yeah, that green Sixers one is strange. It definitely would've been talked about here, at Uni Watch, et al, if it'd taken the court, and the Go Green program would be the only logical explanation for its existence. At the very least, you got yourself a headscratcher. Reminds me of a more subtly strange jersey I'd come across when I was in high school: a white Bears jersey with three orange stripes trimmed in navy on each sleeve, rather than the usual one-color navy-orange-navy stripes. That wasn't thrift, and I didn't buy, but I remember it well.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Screen-printed Hornets away Chris Paul jersey and a Predators 3930 for $8 each at Marshall's. They also had 2011 Angels hats for $12, but were 7 5/8 and above.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

When I go to Marshall's and TJ Maxx, I always look to see if there's anything that would catch my eye. I don't wear jerseys anymore, but the high school me would have been all for buying them. Anyways, I was at TJ Maxx and they had #21 South Carolina, #5 Northwestern, and #10 Temple jerseys all for $10. Old me would have definitely bought the Northwestern one since it was their newest update.

Archived