Thrift Store Gems 2013

johnnysama

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love seeing what you guys find, however being from Australia, I don't get the opportunity to go Thrift shopping for sporting gear, I will be in the US in June/July though and would love to go to some of these stores. I was just wondering what are good places to go to, where to look and any other general tips. I will be in Seattle and Whidbey Island (Washington), Chicago(Illinois), Jackson(Mississippi) and New Orleans(Louisiana). Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated and I cant wait to see if I can find something :)

Just bumping my quote incase it got overlooked

I love seeing what you guys find, however being from Australia, I don't get the opportunity to go Thrift shopping for sporting gear, I will be in the US in June/July though and would love to go to some of these stores. I was just wondering what are good places to go to, where to look and any other general tips. I will be in Seattle and Whidbey Island (Washington), Chicago(Illinois), Jackson(Mississippi) and New Orleans(Louisiana). Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated and I cant wait to see if I can find something :)

Your best bet is to google "thrift stores" in the city you're in, then use Google maps, which should have them pinpointed by location. You can also type in, say "Salvation Army thrift seattle" and it should map locations out for you. Goodwill is another option beside SA. That's how I do it if i'm in an out of state city and have a free hour. Collectors from Seattle, Chicago etc aren't likely to give a shout out of their favorite thrift shops on a well-read public forum. Good cheap thrift store finds are getting harder to come by, especially of the non-bootleg variety. LOL

Here's this past week hockey finds at the thrift stores - all $2 each. Got two of the 50"x60" inch Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees blankets (were on for half off original price), one size large shirt of the local Universitiy team, and one Bobby Hull figurine.

Bees_Wolves_Hull_Panorama_zpsd421db8d.jpg

Haha dude I'm from the valley!!

Where did you find this?

Here's this past week hockey finds at the thrift stores - all $2 each. Got two of the 50"x60" inch Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees blankets (were on for half off original price), one size large shirt of the local Universitiy team, and one Bobby Hull figurine.

Bees_Wolves_Hull_Panorama_zpsd421db8d.jpg

Haha dude I'm from the valley!!

Where did you find this?

Found the blankets at a Salvation Army way up here in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada (at the head of Lake Superior). No idea how they got up here - probably from 'snowbirds' (Canadians living down in the southern states in the winter), or maybe from someone's vacation.

Would love to have a Killer Bees jersey, but haven't seen anything like that.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Your best bet is to google "thrift stores" in the city you're in, then use Google maps, which should have them pinpointed by location. You can also type in, say "Salvation Army thrift seattle" and it should map locations out for you. Goodwill is another option beside SA. That's how I do it if i'm in an out of state city and have a free hour. Collectors from Seattle, Chicago etc aren't likely to give a shout out of their favorite thrift shops on a well-read public forum. Good cheap thrift store finds are getting harder to come by, especially of the non-bootleg variety. LOL

Thanks for replying, I didn't mean exact locations just some store names, I have seen some good stuff here from a store call TJ Maxx, are there any other stores like this and are they country wide or only in some states?

Thanks for replying, I didn't mean exact locations just some store names, I have seen some good stuff here from a store call TJ Maxx, are there any other stores like this and are they country wide or only in some states?

There are TJ Maxx stores all over the US, as well as a very similar store called Marshalls (they might even be owned by the same company). Also, in some states there is a store called Ross which is worth a visit if you come across one.

^Ross & TJ Maxx are hit or miss. My local Ross store in the city I'm working in right now (in SC) has more open space than racks in the mens & sportswear sections. I've rarely seen a jersey of any kind at Ross; TJ Maxx isn't much better. More likely hats & college t-shirts. It may be a regional thing though. Many here have found a lot of stuff at both of them.

Found a "phantom" 2009 NFC Champions Vikings t-shirt at Ross yesterday for $5.

id most likely shed a tear when i saw that

Ditto. That being said, I'd love one.

hahaaha the things we have to do in order to wear a "champions" shirt

I know what ya mean. Always a bridesmaid, but never a bride.

Found a bunch of these "Childrens" helmets at Goodwill a few weeks back. Missing about 8 teams but this one was on of the coolest (other than the Expos,Mariners and Padres).

F765B145-23C7-488A-B04D-3612D6698E7C-14306-0000141A556A3B41_zps2bde3cd3.jpg

BattingHelmets_zps30ec208b.jpg?t=1366669097

$10, Salvation Army Thrift Store

I saw a few at a local Amvets a couple weeks back. Padres and Dodgers that I can remember.

If I were a bigger baseball collector I would have grabbed em.

bufg.png

NWT Warmup style jacket by Reebok. Originally $80, $12 at TJ Maxx:

318781_10201007483490090_205032850_n.jpg

Found at a thrift store. Vintage collection. $0.89 Sorry for the large images

Sweet Thrashers jacket. That's probably more of a windbreaker than an insulated jacket, right?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived