2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Two rows of squares for the striping wouldn't be necessary, because you'd just be taking an element of the design to incorporate in the striping, so single squares would be fine. However, in the flag logo, you should use the correct flag. Heitert made a concept which I think executed it well:

CarolinaHurricanes-1.png

That actually doesn't look good at all. The flags are too small and there's way too much negative space in the triangle. Plus it just looks too busy. There's a reason they went with just the one flag, it looks much cleaner and makes for a better looking logo, even if it's not totally accurate to the team name. I'm sure when they designed the uniforms they probably considered putting two flags but didn't like the way it looked so they went with just the one. MAYBE if the flags were bigger and the stick was moved a little to the left, it could work, but I doubt it. The flag pattern on the sleeves is too much IMO, it looks better just on the waist. And they took the worst element of the home and away jerseys, the phantom shoulder yokes, and put them on the alternate too. And what's with the upside down hurricane logo? The Hurricanes uniforms aren't perfect, but IMO that concept does nothing to improve them.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's legit, they've got 8 months to fix it. What a cluttered mess.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If that's legit it's not bad. The design is much better than the Leafs' (I know Toronto's is a straight throwback and this isn't), but it looses points for hopping on the vintage white bandwagon. As for the font, it's kind of refreshing to see the Wings not use block numbers. On the whole these aren't as nice as their last WC unis, but they're still not the worst in the history of the event.

With regards to the Hurricanes concept, I was referring to the alternate logo with two flags, not the entire concept. I don't think the two-flag logo looks bad at all and I think it should replace the current version.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It's a throwback jersey for Detroit. It's essentially replicating the past. I don't see the point in getting too hung up about it's design elements. I've never really understood that.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Red Wings Winter Classic leaked?

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

$T2eC16JHJGIE9nnWphDbBRIS)f1W3!~~60_3.JPG

Terrible (if that's what they were supposed to be).

Nevermind the vintage white, I can't see where they ever wore striping like that. The number font looks way too thick to truly replicate the 82-3 look. And my biggest beef: the names are not vertically arched. Yes, they wore straight names for just over a decade, but vertically arched nameplates are a Detroit signature look.

patriotssignature.png

The Leafs WC jersey was blue. Was the league going to have both team wear dark jerseys in that game?

It's a throwback jersey for Detroit. It's essentially replicating the past. I don't see the point in getting too hung up about it's design elements. I've never really understood that.

Because that's what we do here. If we don't pour over the details of sports uniform obsession nobody will.

PvO6ZWJ.png

And they would sell dang near nothing if they did that, which is the whole point of these "classic" sweaters.

Does anyone have some good pics of the '82-'83 numeral font?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And they would sell dang near nothing if they did that, which is the whole point of these "classic" sweaters.

I am not an accountant, I am a graphic amateur designer.

The only one that looked good is the yellow Bruins, and many are still sporting it.

Curiously, its a almost true replica of one of their old ones.

See many of those Rangers, Flames, Flyers jerseys around?

Not so sure I am wrong, but I respect your opinion.

It's a throwback jersey for Detroit. It's essentially replicating the past.

No, it's not. It's a fauxback, not a throwback. The Red Wings never wore anything like that.

http://nhluniforms.c...s/RedWings.html

I don't see the point in getting too hung up about it's design elements. I've never really understood that.

Um, you do realize this is a sports logo and uniform design-centric forum right? Analyzing design elements is kind of the point of this place.

The Leafs WC jersey was blue. Was the league going to have both team wear dark jerseys in that game?

I think so. I remember hearing rumours that they wanted to have it so that half the crowd was wearing blue, the other half red.

451_zpse8548b92.jpg

Red Wings Winter Classic leaked?

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

$T2eC16JHJGIE9nnWphDbBRIS)f1W3!~~60_3.JPG

I'm surprised that the Wings went with vintage white. (Unless it's just really bad lighting or the jersey itself is just a prototype or something)

Not digging the stripes near then collar, but I guess if they weren't there, the nameplates were arched and the white was a regular white it'd look too similar to their regular home jerseys.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

If that is the Detroit WC leak, then it wouldn't be half bad with some simple alterations - in essence, make everything smaller. The logo and especially "Detroit" should be reduced in size and moved higher on the jersey, instead of centered. The numbers should shrink as well. Do that and I think it's a very decent sweater.

Really, the only thing wrong with that is the extra little stripe above the main stripe. Minnesota has kinda claimed that, especially in a vintage white/wheat color. I would put either more small stripes, to look like those older Falcons jerseys, or get rid of them altogether and keep with Detroit's well-known simplicity. I'm digging the logo/wordmark choice though...logo could be a BIT smaller, but otherwise, I'm not opposed

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived