2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The half-stripes on the arms, and the lack of any piping to separate the navy and red on the sweater, is still pretty bad. The only positive is the red-dominated look, but it's by no means a good sweater.

I liked blue as a base color more than red, but apparently red has undeniable marketing powers. Undeniable marketing powers, by the way, are brought to you by Macy's.

They are definitely are an improvement over the inital edge jerseys,,, but then what wouldn't be? I was hoping they would have found a way to adapt the inaugural look ot the Edge format... With Reebok, you're always expecting too much

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a difference between hating modern looks and hating some of the cluttered, fill-tool Edge garbage. This is a great example of how to look modern and good:

stanley-cup-colorado-avalanche-june-11th-19961.jpg

Man, I miss those jerseys.

The old Avs uniforms were almost there, but I didn't like the way the black pants looked with the white jerseys. The current uniform has the same problem.

52-adam-foote-001089757_RT8.jpg

From the front where you can't see the black numbers on the back, they look like a mite team that just bought the standard issue black pants in the pro shop.

I would've loved if they darkened their blue and wore blue pans and helmets. They have one too many colors.

I don't know, I feel like the black helmets and pants create some important contrast in the Avalanche's look. Maybe if someone Photoshopped the Avs in maroon or blue helmets and shells, I might be surprised by it, but I'm picturing that look in my mind and it's just not working for me.

I always liked the black helmets/pants/numbers. I've seen concepts and photoshops that eliminate the black, and it always looks unbalanced to me. Like Sodboy said, the black gives a nice contrast.

Darkening the blue wouldn't help that situation at all. To me, the shades of blue and burgundy they use are already too close to each other in value, and darkening the blue would only make that worse.

Now that I think about it, the only way I can see them getting rid of the black is by lightening the red to the shade they started with or an even lighter shade, and then darkening the blue to a deep navy and using the navy for the pants and helmets. But I still don't think that would look better than the black pants/helmets.

jNTsTyQ.png

I liked blue as a base color more than red, but apparently red has undeniable marketing powers. Undeniable marketing powers, by the way, are brought to you by Macy's.

UP YOURS IT'S FIELD'S

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Which brings up an annoying bit of inconsistency with sports teams in general; some celebrate anniversary seasons, and some celebrate anniversary years.

For instance, the Bucs celebrated 30 seasons in Tampa in 2005 (as a team that began play in 1976). Conversely, the Lightning are celebrating 20 years in Tampa this year (as a team formed in 1991-92). It's not the best example, thanks to the lockout, but it does immediately come to mind.

EDIT: Should say 1992-93. Still, celebrating 20 years in 2012-13.

This has always been an issue. I say the most important thing is that a team stays consistent. If you celebrate your 10th season, then don't turn around and celebrate a 15th anniversary. Of course the lost season screws this up a bit.

I remember the Blues in their pregame used to say, "For 37 years Blues fans have supported the team with pride and enthusiasm, now in our 38th season we thank you for your support and ask you to make some noise tonight!" They haven't used this line since the 04-05 lockout.

Your right about the Blues, I do remember that, and now Tom just says something about the match up and encourage us to make some noise tonight!, your just minutes away from Blues hockey!..... Oh, can't wait till Saturday!

I don't remember if the Avs original plan was for burgundy or blue helmets and breezers, but since both were something of a custom color, they weren't going to have them ready for when the season began, and so they went with stock black in the mean-time. Of course, as it turned out, this was a season in which they won the Cup, and, probably out of superstition, they stuck with the black gear, and never did switch over to their originally planned color.

Winnipeg is different, since they chose a pretty played out color scheme, and I don't think a single team that uses navy, has ever not had navy breezers and helmets to go with it. NHL uniform aesthetics tend to be pretty bottom-heavy (or monochromatic) when it comes to color arrangement.

spacer.png

This is what I was talking about earlier.

joesakic_zps5bd4d453.pngSakic1.jpeg

I think it's a more cohesive set. Though, if they don't want to change their colors, a few maroon and blue stripes on the black pants would go a long way towards connecting every element of the uniform.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think it's a more cohesive set. Though, if they don't want to change their colors, a few maroon and blue stripes on the black pants would go a long way towards connecting every element of the uniform.

That, my friend, is ****ing gorgeous. Would be a top 5/6 look in the NHL if they simply did that. As much as I liked their old look (compared to now), it was considerably flawed with the use of black.

Another couple of my shameless plugs for the Avs (link here), not unlike the Photoshop above:

5636630298_af0e9bdeb6_b.jpg

5636630334_6eb3ce4413_b.jpg

I always thought that the black was out of place for Colorado, and I think that they're one of the few teams in the NHL that could pull off using 2 blues as well. So, I'd love to see the Avs dump black for a deep, UCLA-ish type of navy.

I wasn't sure on what alternate I like better, as that's the primary difference between the two.

Not to sound overly critical but neither of those concepts are an improvement over the inaugural set and for good reason. The inaugural set was perfect. I see nothing wrong with a team originating in the 90's having that many colours or using black prominently.

That is great. Their current blue is too light to look good as pants and it just looks a little too out of place using black. Darkening the blue to navy looks better than I thought it would paired up with the maroon.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Wow. That really, really works. Nice job.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The first one would look gorgeous on the Edge template. Better contrast with the silver trim in place of the black trim.

Too bad it's not gonna happen :(

I think it even manages to make the edge uniform look halfway decent.

sakic2_zps07cebd14.pngJoe-Sakic-Colorado-Avalanche.jpeg

That looks really nice. It's a shame that the Avs still want to stick to the apron look, but will it kill them just to remove the apron and add silver between the blue and burgundy?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

So I checked out Icethetics today and they came out with the annual "JerseyWatch", which contained some significant changes supposedly coming in 2013-14 according to Reebok's annual catalog.

Buffalo Sabres - New alternate jersey. Apparently it won't be a throwback

Calgary Flames - Swapping out their current alternate for a new one. Why?

Carolina Hurricanes - New home and away jerseys. Alternate will stick around

Dallas Stars - New logo + home and away jerseys (as most of us know)

Minnesota Wild - New road jersey. Road version of current alt?

Montreal Canadiens - New home and away. Surprising but it'll probably be minor according to the blog

Pittsburgh Penguins - New third jersey. Most likely won't be blue, but it could be anything

San Jose Sharks - New home and away jerseys. Alternate will stick around

No new Flyers alt :( but I love my Stars getting new jerseys next season.

What do you guys think of the rumored changes?

Archived