2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Let's be honest here. Were it not for tradition, the New York I slanders would have one of the worst logos in the whole league.

That being said, I can't see myself accepting that the Islanders wear anything other than the dynasty-era uniforms. I know what they wear right now is a uniform that predates those form the glory years, but at least it's close enough.

thecatch.jpg

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest here. Were it not for tradition, the New York I slanders would have one of the worst logos in the whole league.

That being said, I can't see myself accepting that the Islanders wear anything other than the dynasty-era uniforms. I know what they wear right now is a uniform that predates those form the glory years, but at least it's close enough.

It's only the home jersey that predates the glory years. The road is nearly identical. They could fix that, and even bring back the 4-stripe shoulder patch.

It's only the home jersey that predates the glory years. The road is nearly identical. They could fix that, and even bring back the 4-stripe shoulder patch.

I liked that 4-striped shoulder patch, but I think the four-stripes-on-the-stick shtick works out a lot better. Much more subtle.

However, if they pull a Habs and start winning 24 more Cups then they'll have a Kessel candycane stick on their logo.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

However, if they pull a Habs and start winning 24 more Cups then they'll have a Kessel candycane stick on their logo.

Reminds me of that third jersey Edmonton had a while back.

84.gif

The five rivets were symbolic of their Stanley Cup Championships. I remember reading somewhere that they would simply add more to it if the Oilers won any more Cups. Now if they had 24 like Montreal, it would just be a circular saw.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I actually really like Calgary's throwbacks, but only as just that - throwbacks. Bring 'em out 5-10 times a year, sure, but no more than that

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Yeah, I never liked the five rivets/four stripes the Oilers and Islanders went with. It seemed like an admission that either team would never win another Cup.

At least the Oilers toned down that shtick. The Islanders in their logos page have 7 out of 14 logos referencing their 4-year run. (That's not counting the uniforms for both teams being thrown back to their glory years). Their 45th/50th anniversary logos will feature the "4 cups" thing again.

Nevertheless, as mentioned, the stripes on the stick aren't the main design element of the logo like the Oilers' Spawn logo. You wouldn't notice it unless you're looking for it.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Haha I totally agree about logos that are designed to represent the number of cups a team has won. If you need to make physical changes to your logo every time a team wins a cup then it's a bad logo. The Oilers' alternate logo supposedly needing to be altered if they won another cup is just tacky to me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Haha I totally agree about logos that are designed to represent the number of cups a team has won. If you need to make physical changes to your logo every time a team wins a cup then it's a bad logo. The Oilers' alternate logo supposedly needing to be altered if they won another cup is just tacky to me.

I think it's an excellent thing for something other than a primary logo. Secondary, maybe. Tertiary, definitely. Then only a subtle change is necessary, and let's face it, nobody is ever sad about tweaking a logo because they won a championship. I think Steelers fans took a total of 2 seconds of mourning over not being able to say "one for the thumb" after Super Bowl XL. It's the kind of casualty you're quite ok with.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I love how the Islanders have 4 rows of tape on the stick to represent the 4 Cups - it's very nice and subtle. As I've said many times before, the 4 stripes patch was probably one of the stupidest design elements in hockey at the time. It was incredibly lazy and tacked-on. I mean seriously, what was the thought process behind that? Four Goddamn lines! How the hell is that a shoulder patch?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I liked it because you have to know hockey to get it, and because I thought the diagonal, contrasting lines were a minimalist nod to the paint job on a lighthouse.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't mind those logos that represent each championship, I actually kind of like that. But that might be due to being a soccer fan and liking the stars above the crest.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The red and white colour scheme of Detroit is easier on the eyes. Calgary's combination of red, white and yellow is quite garish. As much as some folks hate black being added to teams colour palettes for the sake of it, I think the Flames are a team that needs it.

Agree 100%. The Flames pre-edge set was the best they've looked in their history. The current throwback doesn't even come close to that beautiful red jersey.

June 4th is the confirmed date for the new Stars gear, if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

A little over a month away, can't wait!

June 4th is the confirmed date for the new Stars gear, if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

A little over a month away, can't wait!

Surprised it hasn't leaked yet.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I wanted to share the playoff coverage logo from Pittsburgh newspaper the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It's minimalist, informative, and in my opinion, excellent. Something like this would be an ideal finals patch, especially in an era where teams have more and more clutter on their jerseys (doesn't help I'm watching the sharks game right now lol)

a84ddc90-3d92-4a1f-b95b-be3919edd5f1_zpsd7f21a8f.jpg?t=1367637682

60bc0c3d-1bfa-4805-8194-4905c4fda0a4_zps7b32b2f3.jpg?t=1367637683

Sorry for the crappy photos, I can't seem to find that logo online.

I like that. Maybe with a simple silver outline so it doesn't get lost on black jerseys.

The more I think about it, swap out that shield with the NHL-shield shape, and in the black space on either side, put the year, split two digits each. When used anywhere but jerseys, you can slap a wordmark at the bottom. And yeah, a silver outline, or white, idk yet, would make it visible on black jerseys. it's ideal.

I like it too. It has that traditional, regal quality to it but more simplistic and old timey. Looks a little art-deco as well.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I wanted to share the playoff coverage logo from Pittsburgh newspaper the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It's minimalist, informative, and in my opinion, excellent. Something like this would be an ideal finals patch, especially in an era where teams have more and more clutter on their jerseys (doesn't help I'm watching the sharks game right now lol)

a84ddc90-3d92-4a1f-b95b-be3919edd5f1_zpsd7f21a8f.jpg?t=1367637682

60bc0c3d-1bfa-4805-8194-4905c4fda0a4_zps7b32b2f3.jpg?t=1367637683

Sorry for the crappy photos, I can't seem to find that logo online.

That small Stanley Cup patch is a good patch to put in use.. very ideal and useful.. but one thing needs to be added.. the year,that's all...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived