College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

I think Wisconsin needs to make some changes in their uniform to give them their own identity than they currently have. When Barry Alvarez went to Wisconsin and tried to turn them into a Nebraska of the 1990s they've copied the general idea of the uniform. Would like to see something to separate the two.

Problem is there is only so much you can do with just red and white. About all they could do is introduce a black alternate jersey or maybe a chrome or matte black helmet. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new red helmet they just introduced looks in game. Kinda wish is was matte red though instead of shiny.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Wisconsin needs to make some changes in their uniform to give them their own identity than they currently have. When Barry Alvarez went to Wisconsin and tried to turn them into a Nebraska of the 1990s they've copied the general idea of the uniform. Would like to see something to separate the two.

Wrong.

What's 'wrong' about that. Alvarez was a Nebraska guy, went to Wisco and changed their uniforms into near copies. I think i've even seen an interview on the BTN where he said his goal was to imitate the look.

Doesn't really matter. Wisconsin will always be viewed as a copycat, regardless of when they changed their uniforms.

The fact that they're now in the same conference makes it worse. Without meaning to offend Wisconsin fans, Nebraska has a much more rich history of football and winning championships. Even if Wisconsin was "first," they'll always been seen as a copy simply because Nebraska is more top-of-mind for most football fans.

It's too bad really, Wisconsin does have a great look currently. :)

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Wrong.

What's 'wrong' about that. Alvarez was a Nebraska guy, went to Wisco and changed their uniforms into near copies. I think i've even seen an interview on the BTN where he said his goal was to imitate the look.

Doesn't really matter. Wisconsin will always be viewed as a copycat, regardless of when they changed their uniforms.

The fact that they're now in the same conference makes it worse. Without meaning to offend Wisconsin fans, Nebraska has a much more rich history of football and winning championships. Even if Wisconsin was "first," they'll always been seen as a copy simply because Nebraska is more top-of-mind for most football fans.

Yeah, I think you've probably failed at not offending.

And it does matter, if someone makes a post saying, essentially, Wisconsin changed their uniforms to look like Nebraska. At least it matters in as much as the truth matters. I guess Wisconsin can be seen as a copy of Nebraska in the "truthiness" sense.

truthinessdef.jpg

To be honest, Wisconsin's current uniforms have always looked like a cheap mashup of Nebraska and Texas to me. (Their sleeve design is actually closer to Texas' than Nebraska's.) And the motion W is very cartoony and awkward, IMO. I liked their previous block W better.

Just because Wisconsin's uniforms are "classic" doesn't mean they shouldn't be changed when they look almost exactly the same as a more storied and successful program in the same conference.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

New white Oregon jersey-

pTSA-15899440dt.jpg

here is the one they wore last year for comparison

Nike-Oregon-Ducks-8-Game-Football-Jersey

I'm actually wondering if Oregon is starting to move more towards this lighter green color for regular use. I think it looks much better than the darker green and hope they continue to use it more. Love the new light green pants too.

When are TCU's rivalry unis unveiled?

Coach Patterson (and media covering TCU) will be tweeting out pics between 4 and 4:30 CST.

TCU continues the tradition of being the worst at uniform unveilings.

New white Oregon jersey-

pTSA-15899440dt.jpg

here is the one they wore last year for comparison

Nike-Oregon-Ducks-8-Game-Football-Jersey

Wonder if they will be wearing it to match the fan shirt I posted.

I also wonder if they will have a new helmet this year with that shade of green.

When are TCU's rivalry unis unveiled?

Coach Patterson (and media covering TCU) will be tweeting out pics between 4 and 4:30 CST.

TCU continues the tradition of being the worst at uniform unveilings.

You mean even worse than the circus of an unveiling the Suns had?

Wrong.

Yeah, I think you've probably failed at not offending.

And it does matter, if someone makes a post saying, essentially, Wisconsin changed their uniforms to look like Nebraska. At least it matters in as much as the truth matters. I guess Wisconsin can be seen as a copy of Nebraska in the "truthiness" sense.

Jumping in a bit late, but I think the perception is definitely mightier than the truth here. Below is Al Toon from the 1980s, pre-Alvarez. The biggest changes since then are the less "hole-y" jerseys (changing with the times), and the thinner sleeve stripes (those pictured are probably closer to Nebraska's than now), and of course the much-hated "motion W", which definitely took a step away from Nebraska. EDIT: I just noticed the white collar...that would be different, but it just looks bad.

Interestingly, Toon would end up wearing a green version of that jersey with the Jets.

So if Wisconsin copied Nebraska, it was done pre-Alvarez.

In any case, Wisconsin has no obligation to do anything. They've looked like Nebraska since the 1980s, decades before the Wisconsin and 10 other teams joined Nebraska's conference (that's what happened right?).

But I would be for a compromise to change them slightly. Nebraska puts a single stripe down its pants (to match its helmet stripe) and Wisconsin puts something resembling Northwestern stripes on its sleves (cannot just do three stripes or the it's a niners rip off) and does the superfluous white-on-red-on-white numbers (which I happen to like).

New white Oregon jersey-

That is a really nice green. Trade that tired gray for a bright yellow, and you've got a nice jersey, weird font non withstanding.

Wow, that "8" looks just like a switch-plate cover. I'm not getting that out of my head now.

Yeah...they are getting there...gray for yellow was the first thought I had.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived