2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's just a number. I never understood the mythology behind it.

I don't get it either, it's like retiring team names in sports; if someone wants to use it, they should be allowed; regardless of the "mythology" or the "mystique" around it.

Especially since it wasn't HIS number to begin with. It was NASCAR's, and team owner Richard Childress requested to use it.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I don't get it either, it's like retiring team names in sports; if someone wants to use it, they should be allowed; regardless of the "mythology" or the "mystique" around it.

Especially since it wasn't HIS number to begin with. It was NASCAR's, and team owner Richard Childress requested to use it.

The number was actually Childress's number as a car driver, if I recall correctly. I don't think there's really any history about the #3 (excluding Childress driving) before 1983.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Fox Sports is reporting that Tony Stewart has offered Kurt Busch a chance to drive a 4th car.

My first thought was 'NO'. Kurt is a talented driver, but him and his brother are my least favorite drivers. Plus, this has to be an insult to Newman. He was released from his ride, and in the meantime, Stewart is expanding his team (apparently) with no replacement for Rocketman.

Here is the link

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/kurt-busch-formal-offer-stewart-haas-racing-fourth-car-2014-season-sprint-cup-081813#!hMow1

What do you guys think?

I thought Harvick was replacing Newman, with the 39 becoming the 4.

I don't mind the Dillons using the 3 because they actually knew him when they were young. I know Austin was on victory lane after Dale won the Daytona 500. It's not like, some start and park team wanted 3, it's someone that has connections to owner and driver.

Also, if next year SHR has Tony-Kurt-Kevin-Danica, I can't wait for the 10 minute long post race altercation clip video between the 4

I don't mind the Dillons using the 3 because they actually knew him when they were young. I know Austin was on victory lane after Dale won the Daytona 500. It's not like, some start and park team wanted 3, it's someone that has connections to owner and driver.

Also, if next year SHR has Tony-Kurt-Kevin-Danica, I can't wait for the 10 minute long post race altercation clip video between the 4

If that doesn't scream "reality show", I don't know what will.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Again, it NEVER was Dale Sr's number, it was the one HE USED when he drove for RCR. You do realize that he won a championship using the number 2, right?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Yeah, the second I saw that Kurt was more than likely heading to SHR on Twitter my reaction was "Harvick and a Busch brother? As teammates? OH HO HO"

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Finished from Bristol....

1. Kenseth

2. Khane

3. Montoya

4. Vickers

5. Logano

6. Menard

7. Ambrose

8. Gordon

9. Biffle

10. Earnhardt Jr.

A few heated arguments and a couple wrecks, its your typical Saturday night race in Bristol & it was worth it. Next up... Atlanta.

EDIT: Heck of a finish!

baltimoreravens.png

Once again, for the second time in the past three weeks, I found myself yelling at the tv, trying to get the 2nd place driver to hit the front running Joe Gibbs driver in which my method failed.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The number was actually Childress's number as a car driver, if I recall correctly. I don't think there's really any history about the #3 (excluding Childress driving) before 1983.

Trivia question: Who was the last Winston Cup driver to race the #3 before Dale Earnhardt?

The #3 actually has a pretty long history - Junior Johnson, Buck Baker, and Buddy Baker ran the #3, but it's one of many numbers they used.

I'm in favor of the #3 making a return, but only for an RCR team. And as much as I don't like Austin Dillon, as Richard Childress' grandson, he's the best choice to bring it back.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

OFFICIAL: Kurt Busch signs a two year deal with Stewart Haas Racing. Jayski reports that he could drive the #00 car.

EDIT: rumors reported by MRN are saying that ESPN and TNT could leave the sport early.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Looks to be true, Kurt is going to SHR this could be a deadly group of drivers. Even can give the Hendrick boys a run for their money. A press conference is set for 2:00. Haas Automotive is supposed to be the main sponsor & the number will be #00 (insert your buckshot jones jokes here).

baltimoreravens.png

Looks to be true, Kurt is going to SHR this could be a deadly group of drivers. Even can give the Hendrick boys a run for their money. A press conference is set for 2:00. Haas Automotive is supposed to be the main sponsor & the number will be #00 (insert your buckshot jones jokes here).

I call Buckshot Jones and raise you the immortal Sam Ard. B)

samard.jpg

And of course, no mention of #00 is complete without...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

A couple things. To answer the #3 questions. Ricky Rudd was the last full-time driver to drive the #3 and won his first race at Riverside in it. Also it is NASCAR's number and Richard Childress leases it every year. NASCAR does not allow numbers to be retired and that's what Bill France told Richard Petty, and that's why the #43 is on the track. It's not a good idea for them to allow retiring numbers since there's only 110 possibilities using one or two digit numbers. 3 digit numbers always look ugly and clunky. Truthfully, if RCR wants to run a family member in the #3, so be it. The curious question I have, is Childress said, "There will never be a black #3 on the track again." 12 years later do we see Richard succomb to money and put a black #3 on the track? Probably.

As far as Busch going to Stewart-Haas. I know a lot of people are saying this is a good move for him in the long run, but mark me down as one of them that doesn't think so. I think it's a lateral move for him. I think he would've been better to stay at Furniture Row and build that team into a winner and help them grow. The fact that the team is even in contention shows what he's done for them to lift them up and lead and show them how to win. He's not perfect, but there's that certain something in him that is thriving on this. At Stewart-Hass he won't be the main guy and leader, and I think deep down that's what he wants. It'll be interesting. The biggest fallout of this, will be Danica. If she doesn't improve next year, I say she's gone. Go Daddy isn't necessarially going to sponsor her for much longer as they are changing their marketing, and without a sponsor and average (25th) at best finishes, there's no reason for Stewart-Haas to keep her. Truthfully, you can count her bad NASCAR career to bad management. She was improving at the Nationwide level last year and honestly needed another year of seasoning down there, but she and her management team jumped at the first "best" offer that would get her in Cup this year, and well it's proven to be a huge mistake as she will go down as just another footnote.

I also think Kurt would've done better at Furniture Row. He may not get along with Harvick or Stewart, even Danica. Just think back to when he was at multi-team operations. He fought for attention. He'll try and do the same thing here.

I've gotta say it'll be Newman. If it is Larson, it won't be full time. Martin would have to be with him. Larson just doesn't have enough seat time in the Nationwide yet. I think he should run NNS for at least another year or two with some Sprint races sprinkled in before he makes the jump full time.

Archived