Old Main

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evil G,

You wouldn't think it would be that difficult. Removing the Bevels from the Classic Block aTm logo is proving to be more difficult than moving from the Big 12 to the SEC and avoiding lawsuits from Baylor and Ken Starr.

Michigan Dave,

It is a good point about the Michigan Split M. I heard about this two weeks ago on TexAgs. I did not know about it when I wrote the letter. I was just trying to select some AAU public schools ranked above Texas A&M (A&M is AAU as well) that have what I would consider classic, collegiate logos. I was also trying to choose schools from different conferences. In my opinion a banner across a M reading "MICHIGAN" is not nearly as bad as geometrically incorrect bevels, but obviously Michigan fans wanted it changed. When you do a search for the Michigan logo the Split M comes up more than anything else. What are they going with from this point forward? Is is just the "M" without a banner across it?

I will not support this until a bunch of useless pork is added to your proposal. You will have my full support if you add a provision calling for the immediate support of a 4th season of Community, and dino chicken nuggets in the school cafeteria.

I wasn't on board until dino chicken nuggets were added to the equation. Now, I whole-heartedly support the Texas A&M cause to get rid of...whatever it was the OP was talking about. I just skimmed.

$5 for anyone who quotes the OP and then just adds +1

Hey so, I agree its nice and clean without the Bevel, i don't know if i neccearily agree at how glaringly awful the bevel is for all the reasons you listed, and i certainly don't agree that aggies near or far aren't going to stand for the beveled T. You obviously feel strongly about it though so good luck!

BTW ignore any of the board real estate police posters who claim you are wasting their space and time. There plenty of each to spare.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

With so many schools using dark red and white (Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi State I want to say?), I'd say A&M actually needs more than just the beveling to set themselves apart. I mean, it's not even that bad. Oklahoma State looks worse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

$5 for anyone who quotes the OP and then just adds +1

Hey so, I agree its nice and clean without the Bevel, i don't know if i neccearily agree at how glaringly awful the bevel is for all the reasons you listed, and i certainly don't agree that aggies near or far aren't going to stand for the beveled T. You obviously feel strongly about it though so good luck!

BTW ignore any of the board real estate police posters who claim you are wasting their space and time. There plenty of each to spare.

I really want to now lol

Your point about A&M fans buying it even with polka dots on it pretty much just killed the rest of your letter. Fans will buy it with whatever logo.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

all i can say is summed up in this: tumblr_llydq3iTT01qafrh6.gif for those who dont know what this is, it's a teel deer. TL;DR is pronounced teal deer so there is a teal deer in the post :P

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

I say if he wants to post it here, let him post it, but most of use are still confined to the 24 hour clock and won't have time to read it all. Why someone is so passionate about beveling is beyond me.

I took five minutes and scanned the part listing the reasons as to why the write thought the Texas A$M beveling was "wrong" and showing all the other logos with correct beveling. Does the writer actually think that Tarleton State's gradient-filled logo is better than A&M's logo?

The thing is, that in all those other logos with correct beveling, those logos have an outline around the letters (other than Tarleton's which is not a good sports logo at all). A&M has no outline so they are not comparable examples. The outlines in the other allow the bevels to touch up against the outline and they don't have to resort to using numerous shades of colors to get that 3D effect.

This is a logo and not real. The lighting and shadows should be simplified into as few colors as possible, which is what the current beveled A&M logo does. No logo should have four different shades of lighting just because the T has four sides and would in reality have four shades of light. I dislike logos that resort to numerous shades of the same color. It shows that the artist is not good enough to render the logo well using simplified colors. By looking at some of those examples of "correctly" beveled T's, I would think that A&M's colors are purple, purplish-gray, grayish-purple, and dark-brownish-grayish purple. Those are not A&M's colors! Some of the sample logos with different shades of colors just looked like internet links I should click on due to the style of shading.

This writer is obviously wants their school to be represented as well as possible, and I would say that the current logo which uses the real school color(s) does that better than any version of the T that resorts to numerous shades of the same color. They also show a graphic with a list of flaws, one of them being the gap in bevel in the top right of the T. If they wanted to resort to gray, then they could have white touch gray and not have an gap, but they wanted to keep it a simple purple and white logo, which is perfectly fine for what they are going for with this basic block letter identity.

I just wrote more on beveling than I ever have and ever will.

Archived