Does Winning Make Uniforms Look Better?

Not even winning the Stanley Cup last year could make the Kings' uniforms look like anything other than a poor imitation of the Gretzky-era uniforms.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope.

23-51110-Y.jpg

Maybe it's a good thing they didn't win the Championship. I certainly don't want that thing they call a logo associated with championships.

The logo still sucks, but the uniforms are bearable to me... Especially when on a stud like KD

Thats another example of value perception and true brand. You associate the uniform with a particular baller and his performance. The design isnt better but all those perceptions and experiences are why a terrible design can work just fine. Other examles: Cowboys (uniform) and Redskins (logo)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Nope.

23-51110-Y.jpg

Maybe it's a good thing they didn't win the Championship. I certainly don't want that thing they call a logo associated with championships.

The logo still sucks, but the uniforms are bearable to me... Especially when on a stud like KD

Thats another example of value perception and true brand. You associate the uniform with a particular baller and his performance. The design isnt better but all those perceptions and experiences are why a terrible design can work just fine. Other examles: Cowboys (uniform) and Redskins (logo)

That, and I like the blue.

90758391980.gif

How about the Atlanta Hawks uniforms? They haven't had a losing record since they went to those current atrocities with dark blue , red and silver.

Those uniforms are great, but the colors, not so much.

Anyway, the answer is a still a big fat NO.

Louisville-To-Play-Michigan-For-National-Championship-650x406.jpg

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Nope.

23-51110-Y.jpg

Again, no way. That rule you mentionned is does exist, but the OKC Thunder are the exception to the rule. Because the logo is just THAT BAD!

The real test is by looking at the past. What uniforms do we consider to be iconic? Timeless? Classic?

More often than not its team's that were dynasty's. The uniforms associated with teams that dominated their sport become classics because of the imagery/associations with their team.

Which is EXACTLY why the Oilers and Islanders are decked out in gaudy 80s unis. They look terrible, but OH MY GOD DYNASTY GLORY DAYS GRETZKY POTVIN MESSIER!!!111!

I do wish the Oilers had kept copper/navy instead of going back to orange/royal blue, but the Islanders hardly look terrible, and color criticism aside I'd definitely extend that to the Oilers as well. Part of it is that their previous sets are both hideous, but I was born after both the Islanders and Oilers dynasties and I still think that they're great looks.

330zl3b.png

You could use Cleveland as an example

cleveland-cavaliers.jpg

I never liked the number font, don't like the double white trim, and don't like that the only use of blue is around the collar. But for some reason because we were winning, they looked alright to most people

The laughably low standards set by every other uniform in Cavs history also helped.

cleveland-cavaliers.jpg

I never liked the number font, don't like the double white trim, and don't like that the only use of blue is around the collar. But for some reason because we were winning, they looked alright to most people

The laughably low standards set by every other uniform in Cavs history also helped.

Good gosh LeBron looks like a baby in that picture.

For me, the Falcons current look falls into this category. I hated it when it first came out, but love it now.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Which is EXACTLY why the Oilers and Islanders are decked out in gaudy 80s unis. They look terrible, but OH MY GOD DYNASTY GLORY DAYS GRETZKY POTVIN MESSIER!!!111!

I do wish the Oilers had kept copper/navy instead of going back to orange/royal blue, but the Islanders hardly look terrible, and color criticism aside I'd definitely extend that to the Oilers as well. Part of it is that their previous sets are both hideous, but I was born after both the Islanders and Oilers dynasties and I still think that they're great looks.

Me, too.

I don't follow the NHL, don't have any vested interest in the history, couldn't tell you if the glory years in each franchise came in the 1980s or 1950s, and yet I still think the Oilers and especially Islanders look good.

Well, I don't follow the NBA either. Having a team within walking distance of my apartment hasn't changed that.

Then again, I lived within walking distance of the Garden for eight years and never had any interest in seeing either the Knicks or Rangers. Then again, that was largely because of the Dolans being total :censored: ing scumbags. I'd rather give my money to a Russian petrolcrat than those crooks.

cleveland-cavaliers.jpg

This is probably why they went to the navy alternates with checkered trim so often. That was one of my favorite designs. All of the throwbacks during LeBron's reign in Cleveland were hideous outside of the bright blue with orange letters style.

I honestly believe the Ken Dorsey era Miami Hurricane uniforms were awful. Yet that template was popular amongst high school, youth, & lower division college programs in the early 2000s. If The U had been mediocre during that time I honestly don't think the unis would have been as popular.

ken_dorsey2.jpg

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived