New Phoenix Suns Uniforms

suns1977

Just added them to the mothership:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/238/Phoenix_Suns

After rendering them, they are really not horribly bad. I know my initial reaction was yeah this is terrible. The major error is the faux-pas sun streak with no sun and that was the cause of most let down. This is where the problem lies. Especially on the road and alt, the white is jarring.

They should have entered to Soundgarden's black hole sun. Maybe just for the orange alt.

They are really pushing this 'phoenix rising' thing. The shorts graphic, the horizon thing in the wordmark. Also really pushing the black and orange. It's kind of working. The road isn't so bad, the home at first glance is not particularly pleasing.

Also the extreme pointy-sharpness, they went from super rounded elements to super pointy elements during the change. Even the striping elements.

All the swingmans and replicas in the Suns Shop have the back of neck logos above the nameplate, either S-sun or PHX logo, but rather the ones unveiled show nothing above the nameplate.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After rendering them, they are really not horribly bad. I know my initial reaction was yeah this is terrible. The major error is the faux-pas sun streak with no sun and that was the cause of most let down. This is where the problem lies. Especially on the road and alt, the white is jarring.

They should have entered to Soundgarden's black hole sun. Maybe just for the orange alt.

They are really pushing this 'phoenix rising' thing. The shorts graphic, the horizon thing in the wordmark. Also really pushing the black and orange. It's kind of working. The road isn't so bad, the home at first glance is not particularly pleasing.

Also the extreme pointy-sharpness, they went from super rounded elements to super pointy elements during the change. Even the striping elements.

All the swingmans and replicas in the Suns Shop have the back of neck logos above the nameplate, either S-sun or PHX logo, but rather the ones unveiled show nothing above the nameplate.

hi sir, do you mind if you give me a copy of pdf file or vector file of your rendering on suns uniform. also the numbers rendering pls. :( i just need it.

Thought it was pretty cool how the 9 stripes represent the 9 members in the Suns ring of honor. That being said, I hate how low and huge the word mark is, it looks alright on the purple one but looks terrible on the white and orange. It looks like how the Suns script was on the unis in 2004.

dont understand the relationship between sun streaks on the chest and the streaks inset in the letters.

the contour of the ball and the way the streaks trail off just dont make sense to me in relation to the wordmark's streaks. i think a simple flip of the bottom streaks could've gone a long way to make the front look more cohesive.

i really like the abstract phoenix/bird in the PHX logo, but they may have taken it a bit far with the literal use of wings on the shorts. overall, the shorts are just weird. there is really no correlation to the jersey... and the stripe seems super random. they're trying to hard here, imo. don't understand the random use of grey/silver on the home's shorts either.

sidebar: it's kind of funny to see that GIANT 'suns' wordmark in relation to the the tiny 'new orleans' on the pelicans new set.

Thought it was pretty cool how the 9 stripes represent the 9 members in the Suns ring of honor. That being said, I hate how low and huge the word mark is, it looks alright on the purple one but looks terrible on the white and orange. It looks like how the Suns script was on the unis in 2004.

Does it mean that there will be no more Ring of Honour members as long as they wear those uniforms? Or are they goining to add an additional stripe after Steve retires?

I suppose they still wan to sell the throwbacks so they didn't want a jersey that would be too similar to the Barkley era.

Turns out that there IS a basketball/sun logo on the uniform. It's using an advanced material that only becomes visible to guys who aren't on message boards.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

hi sir, do you mind if you give me a copy of pdf file or vector file of your rendering on suns uniform. also the numbers rendering pls. :( i just need it.
Knockoff artist?

Having had time to digest these unis properly, I'm incredibly disappointed, but not entirely surprised. The home uni & orange alt are just horrible, bland yet packed with needless detailing. The roads are the best of the bunch, but that's not saying much. I don't understand the point of the streaks at all, and the shorts detailing just looks bizarre (is it supposed to represent a phoenix's wings?).

They remind me of those cheap 90s Champion replicas that'd leave off all the unique details, leaving a generic, team-coloured jersey...

I think the purple jersey would've been better with orange "streaks" and white numbers. Just seems too unbalanced.

They're not great. Maybe not even "good", but despite what some members are saying, they are not the worst in history. I still think an updated streaking ball would've been miles ahead of this.

Btw, anybody got a pic of them from the side? Still haven't seen that view yet.

I think they are average at best. It just seems like there is something missing or they are unfinished. I don't like the shorts at all. The fact that the shorts design doesn't really tie into any of their logos bothers me . Like someone else already mentioned, when you try to please everyone, you usually end up pleasing no one.

If you honestly think the gray-intensive, Berthold City-strewn, giant-airport-abbreviation having Suns uniforms are better than what they unveiled tonight...

MOD EDIT

I think they're equally bad.

The old set had huge ugly side panels and that weird oval on the front numbers.

The new set has a hideous butt stripe and a clunky unfinished streak next to the front numbers.

Lateral move.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If you honestly think the gray-intensive, Berthold City-strewn, giant-airport-abbreviation having Suns uniforms are better than what they unveiled tonight...

MOD EDIT

I think they're equally bad.

The old set had huge ugly side panels and that weird oval on the front numbers.

The new set has a hideous butt stripe and a clunky unfinished streak next to the front numbers.

Lateral move.

I think the butt stripe is the worst part of the new ones. You can tell they just threw it on there for no reason. It doesn't fit or flow with the rest of the design.

My question is, are the stripes sewn on or screen printed?

If they are sewn on, then that is just dumb, but screen printed would make more sense and they would be able to have a sun.

Hell, out of the leagues I think NBA should go back to heat pressed lettering and numbers, than the pelican's wouldn't have to have a tiny wordmark.

If they are sewn on, then that is just dumb, but screen printed would make more sense and they would be able to have a sun.

Hell, out of the leagues I think NBA should go back to heat pressed lettering and numbers, than the pelican's wouldn't have to have a tiny wordmark.

I think they are heat pressed, its not screen printed, and it didnt look sewn on in the teaser shot

I think they are heat pressed, its not screen printed, and it didnt look sewn on in the teaser shot

I wonder if the Adidas fabric or technology, etc. would actually make it impossible to have the entire sunburst across the front? The design was sublimated into the '90s jerseys. Can they even do that with these?...or would the sunburst have to be a huge sewn on patch?

Man, is this ever bringing out the absolutists MOD EDIT

I agree with Mockba pretty much across the board. This isn't one of the great looks in the NBA right now, nor is it one of the better looks in Suns history, but it still runs laps around the hot garbage they've been wearing for over a decade. The streaks are actually a nice, simplified allusion to the '90s jerseys. You'll notice, too, that the numbers fill in the "invisible sunburst" better on the jerseys, because of the extra space required for the twill backing on Rev30 numbers. So kudos to Phoenix for actually taking one of the templates shortcomings into account, even if they did whiff on things like color balance and that butt-stripe. The wordmark is riding way too low, too, much like whatever's going on with the Clippers.

This is not the calamitous end of a franchise or all sports fashion. Grow up.

Derides absolutists.

Makes multiple absolutist statements in next paragraph.

Given that I have the very, very unpopular opinion of actually liking the previous set, I think this is a monster downgrade.

Knowing that almost all of you hate the previous set, I still wonder how anyone cannot be disappointed here.

What I like:

• "Suns" at home, "Phoenix" on the road.
  • The shorts logo combining the wings and the sun

What I hate:

• Purple on the road and no purple on the other two. I hope this does not become a huge trend. They should either be purple or not. If they want to go black and orange, than just do it. If they don't want to upset fans that want purple, then make it a full-fledged color and use it on all uniforms.
  • The gradient on the home word mark
  • The butt stripe
  • The number font
  • The sleeves
  • The "rays" that are connected to nothing. I am also in the minority in that I hated the 90s look, but if they are going to have rays they need to have more 90s inspiration...like actually having the rays come off the "ball"/"sun". Now they are just a bunch of lines.

Taste is subjective so I almost never say "how could anyone like these?" I did it with the original Oilers edge (rather, "how could anyone think this is not a downgrade"). I won't quite go that far here, but I'd be surprised to see much love.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived