New Phoenix Suns Uniforms

suns1977

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's the lighting here, but the wordmark SUNS doesn't look awful, in fact, I like it.

Just now noticing the dark to light orange that eventually ties in the sun rays.

1175234_10151778220858996_1055196528_n_z

They really need a sun at the end of the sun rays, It's so obvious what's missing.

The right way:

PHP48602E122F717.jpg2011chambersrohe_76027629_1.jpg

They're all ugly.

suns-unis.jpeg

87Redskins.png

This is an upgrade and downgrade rolled into one. I absolutely hated the uniforms from before and I'm glad to see that design gone. Dear lord though, not a good replacement. I mean I prefer these over the last set but so many wrongs. I really don't get what people like about the flaming ball with 'PHX' over it, it looked like :censored: before and looks even worse now. The weird looking sun on the shorts with the eagle wings is insultingly bad. Surprisingly I don't mind that there's no sun burst, it's just everything surrounding it that makes it look like garbage.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

• 5 months later...

So now after half a year with these jerseys what do you think? I think they've grown on me. The whites are the best but need more purple and the purples could use a slightly redder shade of purple and more orange.

Overall though, 7/10

I think the color balance throughout the set is horrible. Needs more purple on the homes. More orange on the aways. I have no idea why the rays are white they should be orange across the board. They should have simplified/modernized the streaking sun, not hinted at the sun.

I like the wordmark and number font.

These aren't great but not horrible. Close to being really nice.

The Suns tried to please everyone and do their own thing. They failed. If they wanted to go without purple, then they should've done that, rather than slap it onto the road jersey at the last second. If they wanted to modernize the 90's uniforms, then they should've done that, not stick some abstract sun/speed lines out there. Their agenda was a mess, so that's what the jerseys turned out to be - a mess.

Their jerseys remind me of the Chargers in a way: Trying to please the fans (bringing back powder blue) while refusing to back down from doing what they wanted to do (keeping Navy). And just like the Chargers, I look at the Suns and wish they'd either have gone with a full-on modernization, or just continued on with the new stuff they wanted to do. Trying to do both produced something sub-par.

(For the record, I like the Chargers' jerseys way more than I like the Suns', and strongly believe that they're just a ditched shade of blue away from having a great look. I can't quite say the same for the Suns. Proper color balance would help, but then there's still the actual jersey design to worry about.)

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

They still seem incomplete to me. I know a lot of people think just bringing back a look wholesale is the lazy way out but...they should have brought the 90s look back wholesale.

I'm one of those people - but I wouldn't have minded if they used 95% of that uniform, with just enough change to distinguish the eras. Like a more angled streak behind the ball or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They've grown on me a bit, but I still think they could be so much better. Bringing in more purple on the home uniform, chopping the sleeves off the alt (which they've rarely worn, I'm surprised), and adding the 90's style front proper (along with the proper neck and arm piping). Even a couple of cues from the 1976 uniforms would be nice (the orange alt could be turned into an update of that style, with the new font). Still, much better than the previous set, but could be a top 10 look with just a little adjustment.

Archived