2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

Can anyone explain how Nike got exclusive rights for all the Olympic hockey sweaters? Is it because they are an official Olympic sponsor, or did they negotiate separately with each country taking part? A little variation in manufacturer would be nice.

It has nothing to do with the Olympics. Nike has the exclusive contract with the IIHF, which gives them the right to produce all of the jerseys for every top level IIHF sanctioned tournament, which the Olympics is one of. The national teams don't get a choice in who produces their jerseys for these events, although they obviously are consulted in the design and development process. The only time the teams can wear jerseys made by other manufacturers is during exhibition games and tournaments not affiliated with the IIHF.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone explain how Nike got exclusive rights for all the Olympic hockey sweaters? Is it because they are an official Olympic sponsor, or did they negotiate separately with each country taking part? A little variation in manufacturer would be nice.

It has nothing to do with the Olympics. Nike has the exclusive contract with the IIHF, which gives them the right to produce all of the jerseys for every top level IIHF sanctioned tournament, which the Olympics is one of. The national teams don't get a choice in who produces their jerseys for these events, although they obviously are consulted in the design and development process. The only time the teams can wear jerseys made by other manufacturers is during exhibition games and tournaments not affiliated with the IIHF.

Interesting, thanks. When does this contract expire?

I think history has shown us pretty clearly that Sweden wants to look basically like this:

team-sweden-olympic-hockey.jpg

I would love to know the give-and-take between Sweden and Nike about all of Nike's latest "innovations".

I think history has shown us pretty clearly that Sweden wants to look basically like this:

I would love to know the give-and-take between Sweden and Nike about all of Nike's latest "innovations".

I've always imagined that for European team certainly, the manufacturer would ask what the team wants, and then fit around that. The only things that are missing from the Swedish jerseys are relatively minor striping and trim.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The sublimated ship is dumb. I get putting sublimated maple leafs or stars - simple, iconic symbols - but a detailed ship? So stupid.

Anyways, no arm stripes sucks, but considering that Nike probably wanted crown-shaped striping with some sublimated viking on the front, they look great.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The sublimated ship is dumb. I get putting sublimated maple leafs or stars - simple, iconic symbols - but a detailed ship? So stupid.

Anyways, no arm stripes sucks, but considering that Nike probably wanted crown-shaped striping with some sublimated viking on the front, they look great.

It's simply a nod to the Swedish Hockey Federation's logo, which contains a ship and traditionally appears on that shoulder. Since the logo is not allowed in the Olympics, this was a way of fitting it in.

f82e849a63.jpg

Interesting, thanks. When does this contract expire?

I don't know when it expires but I do know that Tackla produces all other jerseys in the lower level tournaments and those jerseys (especially teams in Div 1A and B) are just the Nike Swift template without the Nike fabric and swoosh. I know that Reebok does do the Sweden jersey outside of non IIHF games (as seen on the exhibition games for the world juniors). I mean we aren't really left with any choice of who we want to produce our nations jerseys. Everyone has had numerous issues with Reebok's designs and now Nike's latest, we aren't left with much choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Slovakia's are out:

milan_bartovic_nike_approach.jpg

That design is so top-heavy. Blue shoulders/red stripe balancing on top of the crest..... and then nothing.

That's the biggest problem with 90% of these jerseys. THEY HAVE NO HEM STRIPES!!!!!! It's ridiculous. Some hockey jerseys look great without hem stripes, but the lack of the hem stripes on all of these jerseys is keeping them from looking great. Some one needs to slap some sense into Nike, and they need to learn from the mistake the Sharks made.

6013_san_jose_sharks-home-2014.png

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I can't believe they moved Slovakia over to navy blue from royal. Makes them look even more like USA knockoffs.

And of course, you can have any custom font you want on your Nike hockey jersey, as long as it's Agency.

Nike's got this contract on lockdown and they'll put in the minimum amount of effort required to keep it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love the creativity. To those complaining about the unorthadox approaches of certain teams, it's just the olympics. After 2 weeks, we won't see them anymore.

Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, sometimes.

After 2 weeks, we won't see them anymore.

Yes we will. They'll be around until the next Olympics during the Worlds and World Juniors (and possibly the World Cup, if it actually makes a comeback, although I can see them making special jerseys for that, at least for the bigger teams).

Would love to see Buffalo to copy that look. Love those two colors together.

Archived