2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

Whatever they do, I'll still be ashamed when we'll play USA.

By the way, never got the reason why there was black. Black is'nt a national color in the end.

Its a contrast color for red and white, I agree, but it's a bit strange.

I think the black works better for Canada's second color than royal blue did during those Canada cup years

canada-cup-1987.jpg

Not only is it not a national color (or colour since we're discussing Canada), but it doesn't show up anywhere else in the rest of the uniform.

Black isn't a national colour either. And the 2010 Olympic set featured very little black on the sweaters.

I'm of two minds about the blue. On one hand I think blue is an excellent accent to red in the Canadian context, because it can mean so many things to almost everyone. It could represent Canada's coast lines (Canada's national motto translates to "from sea to sea") it could represent Canada's French speaking population, or it could be a subtle call-back to the Union Jack and Canada's Imperial/Commonwealth heritage. For a country always debating its national identity having a scheme with so many varied options isn't the worst thing. On top of that it just looks good and provided a nice balance with the red sweaters and socks.

That being said Canada's two main rivals in hockey are the US and Russia, both of whom wear red, white, and blue. Canada should probably avoid that if they can, then. Though I'd prefer a simple red and white scheme if that was the case with minimal use of black if necessary. The 2002 Olympic set was just a bit to heavy on the black for my taste.

I dont get why most people are so dissapointed. It's not horrible.

Do you not see the that the stripe only continues to one sleeve?

They're alright. It kind of has a similar look to the summit series jerseys which is nice.

Other then the colours I don't see how this resembles the Summit Series design in any way.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're alright. It kind of has a similar look to the summit series jerseys which is nice.

Other then the colours I don't see how this resembles the Summit Series design in any way.

I think it's the way the red maple leaf rises up and produces a silhouette against the white background. It's a stretch, I know, but I kinda like it.

That black jersey though, wow that is hideous. What is Hockey Canada/Nike thinking?

I dont get why most people are so dissapointed. It's not horrible.

Do you not see the that the stripe only continues to one sleeve?

Mhm...yeah but apart from that it's not terrible. That's a terrible element sure I agree, but the overall jersey isn't that bad at all. Different strokes I suppose..though it isn't as if I love it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Does anyone else think that they might have turned the Canadian flag into a stripe a la the Hurricanes' flag stripe? It would be weird, I admit, but it also seems strange to have a random Canadian flag out there in the middle of that white sleeve stripe.

The Canadians copying the Hurricanes? That would be such poetic justice.

Is this legit? Saw it posted but no context at all.

tumblr_msogb4ij7X1swz1xuo3_500.jpg

I actually like it--not the best ever, far from it, but also not the worst ever either.
he looks like his aunt gave him the worst Christmas sweater ever. or a Liverpool jersey.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Replicas are shipping in a week... USA Hockey has a lot of detailed pics of them here. I guess they are swapping the gold winning years on the replicas...

images_epiinc.jpg

I know it's hard to tell from a 2-D image, but man, that cut looks weird. Way too slim.

Also interesting to note that the crest will apparently be embroidered on the replica jerseys, but screenprinted on the authentics.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Replicas are shipping in a week... USA Hockey has a lot of detailed pics of them here. I guess they are swapping the gold winning years on the replicas...

images_epiinc.jpg

I know it's hard to tell from a 2-D image, but man, that cut looks weird. Way too slim.

Also interesting to note that the crest will apparently be embroidered on the replica jerseys, but screenprinted on the authentics.

PERFORMANCE!!!!1 SPEED!!!1

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Is this legit? Saw it posted but no context at all.

tumblr_msogb4ij7X1swz1xuo3_500.jpg

Will only one sock have a stripe, to be consistent with the jersey?

the right one to slow that side down enough for the left side to keep up

I got it. He shoots from the left, the stripe is on the left arm..

images_epiinc.jpg

Where did you hear that? My Canada 2010 replica has a screen-printed crest (the plastic-like material the shoulder patches on Edge replicas are made of), so I wouldn't expect the replicas being embroidered. It would be a pleasant surprise if true, though.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

images_epiinc.jpg

Where did you hear that? My Canada 2010 replica has a screen-printed crest (the plastic-like material the shoulder patches on Edge replicas are made of), so I wouldn't expect the replicas being embroidered. It would be a pleasant surprise if true, though.

If you follow the site linked, you can see from detailed pictures that the crests are embroidered.

OttawaSenators.png

• 2 weeks later...

w640xh480_lPOCwSY.jpg

TEAM CANADA HAS LEAKED!

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Stripes on only one sleeve and fake lace-ups because Nike.

Well, a box on one sleeve; it appears to not wrap around the sleeve.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If the stripe was on both sleeves I would kind of like them, but the asymmetrical look is bad. It didn't work for the Thrashers and it doesn't work here.

Also, the Olympic tournament is like 5 games. Why do they need an alternate at all, let alone a black one?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived