NHL Stadium Series Jerseys

Anubis2051

According to a tweet by a fan, the Ducks have apparently sold out of Getzlaf and Perry Stadium jerseys.

Given the backlash against these things mainly because they are orange, I have a hard time believing that.

Well, what does "sold out" mean in this case?

1000's? im not surprised either people have been wanting a orange jersey for a while, even with it not being the greatest thing ever people would buy it.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noob? Really?

OC is an abbreviation no different than calling Los Angeles "LA". I see no issue with that. Do you say UCLA or UC-Los Angeles or University of California at Los Angeles?

"The OC", however, brings a connotation that no one wants to be associated with.

It would sound really weird to me if somebody told me "I'm going down to OC" or "I live in OC". Most people I know just say "Orange County", as there's no reason to abbreviate it.

Calling a city or a county by it's abbreviated name is stupid, unless it's LA. Wouldn't you think calling San Francisco "SF", or calling Las Vegas "LV", is kinda stupid? I mean it's okay to use on a hat, but if you say "SF" in real life, you're a jackass.

The OC monicker was really borne out of necesity. OC is a large semi-defined metro area that is often very distinct and separate from the LA metro.

I'm pretty sure the name evolved simply due to the fact that the area needed a marketable name once the population started getting close to a million on its own. It's so sprawled out an decentralized there was not a single traditional/urban core city to give a deafault name like Chicagoland etc. There is also no other unique identifier from which to derived a metro name (think SF Bay, Tri-State, Twin Cities etc.) so popular culture and the powers that be settled on Orange County which evolved into OC and and eventually "The OC" at some point in the early 90's.

So while not a traditional geographical identifier for sports & other marketing purposes, I don't think they had any other viable alternative. Also the major newspaper serving the area is the Orange County Register which gives the name some legitimacy.

According to a tweet by a fan, the Ducks have apparently sold out of Getzlaf and Perry Stadium jerseys.

Given the backlash against these things mainly because they are orange, I have a hard time believing that.

Could also be that the so-called "backlash" is over-exaggerated.

Going to go with that in part. I know plenty of Ducks fans, myself included, that like this jersey if only because it is orange. I mean there's not much to these jerseys outside of being orange. That's the defining feature.

I think the other part is people will buy new things. Plain and simple. This example is always brought up, but we almost all hated and lambasted the Buffaslug jerseys when they were unleashed, but guess what, they sold like hotcakes. It's happened with every other one of these outdoor/event games. The special jerseys have sold in high numbers and are a great cash influx for the league. That's why they're doing more of them.

Although if they're selling out of specific players, that's not a great sign for the quality of these things, in my mind. Usually the EDGE jerseys that come with the numbers already on them, the numbers are of the plastic variety, like the shoulder patches. I'd like to get the jersey, and if I did get a number on it, I'd want it to be the twill numbers. Maybe these don't even have twill numbers? We'll see I guess.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I was at Consol Energy Center today in the Penguins team store. The reps there said they have seen the Pens Stadium Series jerseys and also stated that the jerseys will be unveiled on Friday. Unfortunately, the sales of the jerseys will not happen until sometime in January, but Christmas pre-orders will be taken.

Well, what does "sold out" mean in this case?

Dunno. Maybe they ran out of pre-orders or something.

Could also be that the so-called "backlash" is over-exaggerated.

Yeah. As it tends to be with pretty much every other new dud these days, even from fans who don't typically care about uniforms. It's all knee-jerk, first-thing-that-comes-to-mind reactions. And like Still MIGHTY said, they'll go ahead and buy it anyway.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I actually like the jersey or not. I like that it's orange. I like the striping design, but there's not really enough of it. The chrome logo is almost enough to put me off buying one out of principal. Maybe I need to see more than the same damned shots of Getzlaf sitting in dingy lighting.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Noob? Really?

OC is an abbreviation no different than calling Los Angeles "LA". I see no issue with that. Do you say UCLA or UC-Los Angeles or University of California at Los Angeles?

"The OC", however, brings a connotation that no one wants to be associated with.

It would sound really weird to me if somebody told me "I'm going down to OC" or "I live in OC". Most people I know just say "Orange County", as there's no reason to abbreviate it.

Calling a city or a county by it's abbreviated name is stupid, unless it's LA. Wouldn't you think calling San Francisco "SF", or calling Las Vegas "LV", is kinda stupid? I mean it's okay to use on a hat, but if you say "SF" in real life, you're a jackass.

The OC monicker was really borne out of necesity. OC is a large semi-defined metro area that is often very distinct and separate from the LA metro.

I'm pretty sure the name evolved simply due to the fact that the area needed a marketable name once the population started getting close to a million on its own. It's so sprawled out an decentralized there was not a single traditional/urban core city to give a deafault name like Chicagoland etc. There is also no other unique identifier from which to derived a metro name (think SF Bay, Tri-State, Twin Cities etc.) so popular culture and the powers that be settled on Orange County which evolved into OC and and eventually "The OC" at some point in the early 90's.

So while not a traditional geographical identifier for sports & other marketing purposes, I don't think they had any other viable alternative. Also the major newspaper serving the area is the Orange County Register which gives the name some legitimacy.

And that paper's website is/was branded as ocregister. Helps put it in the daily vernacular.

I think the other part is people will buy new things. Plain and simple. This example is always brought up, but we almost all hated and lambasted the Buffaslug jerseys when they were unleashed, but guess what, they sold like hotcakes. It's happened with every other one of these outdoor/event games. The special jerseys have sold in high numbers and are a great cash influx for the league. That's why they're doing more of them.

You buy something you like. You don't buy something you don't like because its new. No one in Dallas bought the mooterus jersey. No one in LA bought the angry King jersey. etc.

I believe the "buffaslug" jerseys weren't as hated as a vocal minority on the Internet would have you believe. Because if people hated this stuff they wouldn't buy it.

The Catch of the Day!

You buy something you like. You don't buy something you don't like because its new. No one in Dallas bought the mooterus jersey. No one in LA bought the angry King jersey. etc.

I believe the "buffaslug" jerseys weren't as hated as a vocal minority on the Internet would have you believe. Because if people hated this stuff they wouldn't buy it.

Not so sure about that...people buy mostly what they want (or are made to believe that they want), not necessarily what they like. No doubt that the "buffaslug" wasn't as hated as we think, but that doesn't mean that it was liked. Fans are still fans, they want to support their team, and unlike the "mooterus" & "burger king" jerseys, the "buffaslug" jerseys were a full-time set. If a fan wanted to get a up-to-date jersey of his favorite player or the latest new signing, it was "buffaslug" or nothing.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Not much of news...but we still don't know if the Devils logo will be chrome. I wonder if the "gray" on the mask is to make the logo look chrome.

Per Tom Gulitti...

"Martin Brodeur said he had a special mask made for the Devils' Jan. 26 outdoor game against the Rangers, which he'd likley wear if he plays."

"Brodeur said mask is very similar to his current mask design, but has some gray and green in it."

"The red mask Brodeur wore in previous games in which Devils wore original jerseys (same design as mask for first NHL game) is retired."

I'm not getting the Ducks jersey. I was looking forward to it and I like the orange. But everything else on the jersey is a no go. The chrome logo and the unfinished looking striping are really bad IMO.

Yeah, I originally planned to buy one, but after the release, I decided against it. I might just buy a road jersey, as I don't have one of those yet.

I'm sure a lot of the people buying the Stadium Series jersey haven't even noticed the Chrome logo. They just see the orange and say "TAKE MY MONIES!".

Read in Pierre Lebrun's ESPN column this morning that Winnipeg has pretty much been told that the 2016 Winter Classic is theirs. I'm thinking most likely opponent is Montreal, but I'd love to see Montreal play Boston at Fenway in the next couple years, so Edmonton would be next in line.

You sure he didn't mean heritage classic? Because of the NBC ratings I think the NHL is pretty particular about to whom and where they give the winter classic. I think they want to use big market teams or big draw teams (star players) and pretty much only American teams with a sort of exception of Toronto. But Winnipeg seems like the last place they would put the season's signature event. This is the one game a year that non-hockey fans might watch..... so Edmonton vs. Winnipeg?

I think Washington is due for one, and if it wasn't for the Stadium Series i would say New York should get one. If you wanted to go small market then Minnesota should get it.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Read in Pierre Lebrun's ESPN column this morning that Winnipeg has pretty much been told that the 2016 Winter Classic is theirs. I'm thinking most likely opponent is Montreal, but I'd love to see Montreal play Boston at Fenway in the next couple years, so Edmonton would be next in line.

Well I am curious as to see if there will be a Heritage Classic on back to back years. I believe that Ottawa wants to host a game at Frank Claire Stadium in 2017 to go along with Canada's 150th celebrations... If that is the case, then perhaps we may just see an actualy barber pole jersey.

On that note, why didn't Ottawa go with a barber pole jersey for this year's Heritage Classic? It is possible to do as the Ottawa 67's use it. Did the 67's say no to it?

Yes sorry, I meant Heritage Classic. I can`t paste the link (work computer is finicky), but it`s on the front page of the NHL section of ESPN.com.

Due to the low number of Canadian teams, I`m thinking every other year is a safe bet. In the article, it states that Winnipeg is next in line, but 2016 is just tentative. However, with one taking place this year, 2016 and 2018 would be logical. Ottawa would be the only other city that hasn`t hosted with a viable outdoor stadium, unless you count the Rogers Centre.

Washington is hosting the Winter Classic next year, opponent not announced, but I`d guess Philadelphia. All other rivals (Pittsburgh, NYR, NJ) are participating this year.

Beyond next year, I think it`s going to go out West. My guess would be St. Louis hosting the Winter Classic (because they can`t have the Coors Light thing because of Busch), with Colorado (against San Jose), Minnesota (against Dallas), Boston (against Montreal) hosting Stadium Series.

sig.png

Archived