College Baseball 2014

cajunaggie08

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a bit from the Houston Chronicle where they interviewed University of Houston's baseball coach about about the new field.

"I've always wanted a synthetic surface. It's kind of the new trend in college baseball," Whitting said. "From a facilities standpoint, I think it elevates us immediately to one of the top baseball stadiums in the country for college baseball."

Among the highlights of the new surface, which will be unveiled to the public during the UH Fan Appreciation Day and Alumni Game at 1 p.m. Saturday:

A 45-foot UH logo in center field that is one of the biggest in the nation. There's also a script white "Cougars," with a red outline, behind home plate.

Red turf cutouts around the bases and home plate replace dirt. The cutouts can be replaced over time to remain new-looking.

"It stands out," Whitting said. "I wanted our field to be different than anybody else's."

The turf was lowered to a 1¾-inch pile height with a sand and rubber mix in the infield to make the surface play faster than a normal grass field. Whitting believes that will be an advantage for a team that led Conference USA in stolen bases last season while also adding some offense following mandated bat changes that have reduced scoring in college baseball in the last few years.

"It adds a little excitement to our ballpark by adding a little offense," Whitting said.

1 The pitcher's mound is made of Hilltopper, water-repellent clay that is used by, among others, the Los Angeles Angels and Arizona Diamondbacks and designed to limit the amount of dirt that is tracked off the mound.

Who cares about a font, white stirrups?

you really don't understand the people on these boards, fonts are one of the most important parts of a uniform, it's the way most are identified with baseball jerseys being white or grey. stirrups aren't cared about as much because they are hardly ever seen.

Who cares about a font, white stirrups?

you really don't understand the people on these boards, fonts are one of the most important parts of a uniform, it's the way most are identified with baseball jerseys being white or grey. stirrups aren't cared about as much because they are hardly ever seen.
Tongue firmly in cheek, guy.

I was just having a conversation about these fields the other day. It's not synthetic dirt, it's just different color turf. The amount of rubber they mix in determines how fast the ball will roll on the ground, so you can tweak it simulate the speed of real dirt.

As for sliding, in dry conditions, the effect is minimal. When the ground is wet, however, you slide much farther than normal.

Pardon my ignorance but does that mean that a baseball will bounce/roll on the brown turf differently from the green stuff on the same field like an old fashioned diamond?

How dramatically would playing different sports on sport specific turfs be? Say football on baseball or vice/versa?

I've never seen a turf field with different "fill" for the basepaths than "grass". The only turf baseball fields I've seen a multi-purpose, so it wouldn't be that practical to have separate fills. The turf is the same throughout the field, only the color is different. The ball just keeps on rolling.

The more worn-in the turf is, the faster the game becomes. Football is faster on turf than grass, it's a more consistent surface to plant and run.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Kent St. Golden Flashes! This is the best thing I've seen in ages! In a world of sleeved NBA jerseys and the continued existence of nonsensical button-front baseball jerseys, it brings me joy seeing that good things still occur. This jersey is pretty much perfect. It's a v-neck pullover, it has pinstripes and racing stripes! It's basically a dream come true! I'm shocked that this is real. Way to go Rawlings!

Bf87LToIEAAWEV3.jpg

Kent St. Golden Flashes! This is the best thing I've seen in ages! In a world of sleeved NBA jerseys and the continued existence of nonsensical button-front baseball jerseys, it brings me joy seeing that good things still occur. This jersey is pretty much perfect. It's a v-neck pullover, it has pinstripes and racing stripes! It's basically a dream come true! I'm shocked that this is real. Way to go Rawlings!

Bf87LToIEAAWEV3.jpg

This is an example of how not to do a uniform. I don't have a problem with racing stripes, pinstripes, or pullovers at all. But this mismash, along with the wordmark being not only a different color than the tail, but they don't even connect. This is what you call an utter fail!

Archived