New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

I don't get all the hate over the larger front wordmark. Just because it isn't done by any current teams at the NFL level, doesn't mean it will look bad.

I can think of dozens of college teams that look great with large front wordmarks.

High school teams too.

Which is why the NFL teams look bad when they do it. The NFL should be in a better aesthetic tranche than college or high school.

The same can be said for a NFL team having a blank helmet. Oh wait.

Coincidentally, when the Oilers were switching to Titans, one of the names suggested was "Tennessee Copperheads", with a blank copper helmet in the uniform. A cool "idea" (and people were pushing for it) in 1998, but really, it would have looked terrible.

For the Browns, the blank helmet has always been a weakness, and IMO, the brown facemask isn't the best option.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get all the hate over the larger front wordmark. Just because it isn't done by any current teams at the NFL level, doesn't mean it will look bad.

I can think of dozens of college teams that look great with large front wordmarks.

It looks amateurish, when it's only done in college it looks amateurish. It doesn't look bad in college, but looks out of place in the NFL

I think the "College" vs "Professional" uniform argument is blown out of proportion. Today, most of the innovation in uniforms takes place at the college level (jersey cuts, helmet finishes etc.) so saying "that's a college look" doesn't seem like it should really be used negatively toward a uniform.

Also, even if the "Cleveland" wordmark across the Browns new jerseys, and rumored matte helmets are design elements lifted from a "College" aesthetic, they're hardly as offensive as some of the other recent examples:

- Two-Tone helmets

- Chrome anything

- Reflective elements

- etc.

Nobody ... I mean nobody ... circles the wagons like The Buffalo Bills

High school teams too.

Which is why the NFL teams look bad when they do it. The NFL should be in a better aesthetic tranche than college or high school.

Uh oh. I think you've typed some keywords to trigger the logarithm and awaken the Dennisbergen bot. Be prepared for an angry "High schools are light years ahead of the NFL in jersey's (sic)" post.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the "College" vs "Professional" uniform argument is blown out of proportion. Today, most of the innovation in uniforms takes place at the college level (jersey cuts, helmet finishes etc.) so saying "that's a college look" doesn't seem like it should really be used negatively toward a uniform.

Also, even if the "Cleveland" wordmark across the Browns new jerseys, and rumored matte helmets are design elements lifted from a "College" aesthetic, they're hardly as offensive as some of the other recent examples:

- Two-Tone helmets

- Chrome anything

- Reflective elements

- etc.

Seems like the most collegiate uniforms in the NFL are the most poorly rated.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, that's because these colleges aren't above whoring themselves out and completely leaving their uniforms to the whim of shoe companies. The NFL allowed those awful Reebok/Adidas jerseys for some players, but it wasn't until Nike got the recent contract that they ceded most of the league to a proprietary manufacturer template. Colleges wear multiple proprietary templates per year in some cases. Also, in large part because the college teams are shoe sluts, they wear multiple random alternates and change uniforms every few years, whereas NFL teams have generally been far more settled in terms of wearing jerseys for long stretches.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Dang it, Id just be happy if the Cowboys would wear the white helmet on Thanksgiving again!

I like that you can still turn on an NFL game and know immediately who is playing... how often do you turn on a game on Saturday, and have to look for the score to see who is playing. Half the time your favorite school doesn't even have their colors in the uniform. So while the Oregonization of college football makes watching a game weird, the NFL at least keeps things mostly static.

As for a large Cleveland wordmark... I just don't see it happening on game uniforms. Maybe NIKE thinks the only way to tell its Cleveland and not Syracuse is labeling it?

I'd consider most "innovation" at the college level from the last decade and a half to be garbage.

- Two-Tone helmets

- Chrome anything

- Reflective elements

- etc.

All of those elements had their debut at the NCAA level before being adopted by NFL teams. In that context? A giant wordmark isn't the most egregious element a NFL team could take from the college level, but it's still not ideal.

Certain design elements are associated with certain levels of football. The giant wordmark is a collegiate staple. A team rocking it at the NFL level would look...amateurish.

And that's your opinion.

I personally like it.

It looks amateurish, when it's only done in college it looks amateurish. It doesn't look bad in college, but looks out of place in the NFL

I like that you can still turn on an NFL game and know immediately who is playing... how often do you turn on a game on Saturday, and have to look for the score to see who is playing.

I have never had this problem 100% serious

Those Wednesday night games can get tricky, though.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

And that's your opinion.

I personally like it.

It's not an opinion, that is an attribute that is clearly associated with the college ranks, and is thus amateurish

I like that you can still turn on an NFL game and know immediately who is playing... how often do you turn on a game on Saturday, and have to look for the score to see who is playing.

I have never had this problem 100% serious
Really? Not that it's overly surprising, but I will admit that games like this have been a bit tricky to the eyes for me, and I even go to UF.

kEt9gPt.png

Because if there's one thing that people in these forums hate, it's change. Even if the change actually looks good.

And that's your opinion.

I personally like it.

It's not an opinion, that is an attribute that is clearly associated with the college ranks, and is thus amateurish

No, it's nothing more than a person's opinion. That is all.

Well, that's because these colleges aren't above whoring themselves out and completely leaving their uniforms to the whim of shoe companies. The NFL allowed those awful Reebok/Adidas jerseys for some players, but it wasn't until Nike got the recent contract that they ceded most of the league to a proprietary manufacturer template. Colleges wear multiple proprietary templates per year in some cases. Also, in large part because the college teams are shoe sluts, they wear multiple random alternates and change uniforms every few years, whereas NFL teams have generally been far more settled in terms of wearing jerseys for long stretches.

As opposed to the NFL, Who let Reebok pipe and side-panel us all into submission for 10 years.

Nobody ... I mean nobody ... circles the wagons like The Buffalo Bills

As opposed to the NFL, Who let Reebok pipe and side-panel us all into submission for 10 years.

I'd take any of the Nike elements over piping and side-panels

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Those were terrible uniform designs, but they weren't designs that highlighted proprietary Reebok templates and Reebok wasn't making random color alternates for teams or adding their popular product color of the day to teams' existing schemes. The NFL's bad uniforms of the '00s aren't even close to Pro Combats and the other trash from college.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/04/08/retailers-to-get-new-browns-uniforms-later-next-week/#.VSW91U2IKqo.twitter

TL;DR: The uniforms we believe to be real are not and don't exist.

Retailers to get new uniforms later next week

There is no more closely guarded secret right now in Berea than the new uniforms for the Cleveland Browns.

Not even who they might take at No. 12 or 19 on April 30 is as closely guarded as the new uniforms. Select team employees and players have seen the 3 new jerseys, 3 new pairs of pants and redesigned helmet, but everyone is sworn to secrecy.

Safety Donte Whitner caused a stir on Twitter after he got a look at them after modeling them for a Nike photo shoot on March 24. Whitner tweeted, All I can say is that I saw the New Jersey and cleveland you will be proud! followed by: Best jerseys in the league! Hands down! 9 different color combos!

He was quickly told to stop tweeting and talking about them. Their identity is to remain sacred knowledge.

Over the weekend leaked pictures of the alleged new look of a white and orange jersey hit social media like a firestorm, but the authenticity of them is in doubt. The reason is simple: retailers dont have them yet and they will not start receiving the new jerseys for sale until after they are unveiled next Tuesday evening at the Cleveland Convention Center.

In an effort to prevent leaks from retailers, the new merchandise will not be available for purchase around town immediately. Local retailers will receive the new uniforms to sell later next week.

However, fans anxious to get their hands on the new threads Tuesday night wont be left out in the cold.

The Browns will have a portable team shop at the Convention Center set up for selected season ticket members who were invited for the event to purchase them onsite and the team shop at FirstEnergy Stadium will open for a few hours after the reveal for the general public.

If you wont be downtown next Tuesday night, the teams website ClevelandBrowns.com will also be ready to take orders for the 3 new jerseys and other new merchandise the team will offer.

The Browns spent nearly 2 years working closely with the NFL and Nike on a whole new look for the team, which has seen just minor tweaks to the uniforms and helmet over the decades, and they dont want it spoiled by a premature leak. It is anticipated that what will be unveiled next week will be a radical new look, hence the angst and excitement that is building with fans wanting to be first to reveal them or see them.

The orange carpet event will run from 6-8 p.m. with the Browns television partner, WEWS NewsChannel 5, broadcasting a 1-hour long special of the reveal from 7-8 p.m. at the Convention Center.

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archived