New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Its just nice to see teams do something DIFFERENT in the stodgy "everybody's gotta do the same thing" NFL. Some of you would rather see every team look the same and everyone look like they did in 1960. But that ain't the reality (thank God). Some of them work well and some of them don't. The Browns (for the most part) nailed their rebrand. Not perfect. But LIGHT YEARS better then those sorry-ass things they've been wearing. And most of the people who matter (not the people who post here) agree with this.

There are teams (many of whom are in college) who are cutting edge and many of their elements are eventually copied in the NFL. The NFL is usually years behind though when they finally come around to what's going on in the rest of the world.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its just nice to see teams do something DIFFERENT in the stodgy "everybody's gotta do the same thing" NFL. Some of you would rather see every team look the same and everyone look like they did in 1960. But that ain't the reality (thank God). Some of them work well and some of them don't. The Browns (for the most part) nailed their rebrand. Not perfect. But LIGHT YEARS better then those sorry-ass things they've been wearing. And most of the people who matter (not the people who post here) agree with this.

There are teams (many of whom are in college) who are cutting edge and many of their elements are eventually copied in the NFL. The NFL is usually years behind though when they finally come around to what's going on in the rest of the world.

jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

You know which other professional football teams outside of the Browns look like last year's Browns? None ever. Sorry, using a striping pattern with different colors in an entirely different way than other teams isn't EVERYONE LOOKS TEH SAME!1! The Browns looked timeless, looked good, and actually looked like the Browns. They've now gone to uber-Nike clown suits which will be replaced in a decade tops. The fun part? They'll be replaced with the set they just jettisoned.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

What it comes down too is it all boils down to what Browns Fans think! And the majority likes them.

As for the rest, who cares!

And you know that how?

Polls, radio shows ect. Ect.

I can back him up on this one. The reactions to the new uniforms have been overwhelmingly positive among Browns fans. Seems that both the old school fans and the younger generation both are happy with the change.

The only negative reaction was to the "new" logo. Most wanted to see an actual logo, and not an illustration of a piece of equipment.

Co-signed. I work with a couple guys who constantly talk to "the old Browns" and "the way things used to be" and bla bla bla that same stuff I hear every day in this City. They like the uniforms. They didn't think the Browns needed a change, but they liked the update. One of the guys 50+ even said the wordmark on the pants was the best in the NFL.

So, just like anything in life... take it for what its worth.

I don't doubt that many, and probably even most, Browns fans have convinced themselves to like this uniform. Just the fact that your favorite team is updating, is being talked about, is seemingly moving forward at least in one regard... it's exciting. Plus, it's your team. It's the same way that the average fan grades their team's draft... optimism is always the order of the day for a fan.

I recently went back to look at my first posts on this site, back in '06 when the Vikings went to their reebokian look. It's right there in black and white... I wholeheartedly approved. I looked at the images of Brad Johnson wearing that '06 uniform, came onto this site, and wrote the word "upgrade". And I believed it. But it wasn't long until the bloom started to fade, the excitement of the internet discussions disappeared, and I was left just staring at that uniform. For years.

Take that poll again next year... and again the year after that. Even the homer opinion is going to change fairly soon... I have no doubt.

What it comes down too is it all boils down to what Browns Fans think! And the majority likes them.

And you know that how?

I can back him up on this one. The reactions to the new uniforms have been overwhelmingly positive among Browns fans. Seems that both the old school fans and the younger generation both are happy with the change.

The only negative reaction was to the "new" logo. Most wanted to see an actual logo, and not an illustration of a piece of equipment.

Co-signed. I work with a couple guys who constantly talk to "the old Browns" and "the way things used to be" and bla bla bla that same stuff I hear every day in this City. They like the uniforms. They didn't think the Browns needed a change, but they liked the update. One of the guys 50+ even said the wordmark on the pants was the best in the NFL.

I don't doubt that many, and probably even most, Browns fans have convinced themselves to like this uniform. Just the fact that your favorite team is updating, is being talked about, is seemingly moving forward at least in one regard... it's exciting. Plus, it's your team. It's the same way that the average fan grades their team's draft... optimism is always the order of the day for a fan.

I recently went back to look at my first posts on this site, back in '06 when the Vikings went to their reebokian look. It's right there in black and white... I wholeheartedly approved. I looked at the images of Brad Johnson wearing that '06 uniform, came onto this site, and wrote the word "upgrade". And I believed it. But it wasn't long until the bloom started to fade, the excitement of the internet discussions disappeared, and I was left just staring at that uniform. For years.

Take that poll again next year... and again the year after that. Even the homer opinion is going to change fairly soon... I have no doubt.

I was a pretty diehard Vikings fan back then. Seeing those uniforms...well, it was the start of me no longer being a diehard fan. From day 1 I hated those. It took me about a year to get to the point of accepting them, but I never loved them. I always thought they were bottom of the league.

Kudos to you for that embarrassing admission. I agree. It's seemingly a fresh new day for the team. It's easy to see how fans could get excited that something's changing and believe that the new uniforms will inspire the players to become more talented, the new Nike proprietary templates will keep them cooler during those blistering Cleveland Autumns, the front office will suddenly get better and soon it'll all lead to a championship. Especially with the modern marketing speak throwing in nonsense about representing the city's heritage with a random sublimated pattern and representing their toughness by using another color. And hey, it's sports. Sports are supposed to be fun, and optimism isn't a bad thing in general. But it can surely lead to someone being served a steaming plate full of crap and convincing themselves it's chopped steak.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And you know that how?

I loved the Vikings uniforms when they were unveiled in 06. I was 15 at the time, if that matters. (even though the old white jersey with the shoulder stripes was/is one of my favorite jerseys ever and I was sad to see it go).

By 2009 I still liked them but was pining for a return of either the 70s uniforms (especially since they were wearing them as an ALT at the time) or go back to the look they replaced. By 2012 (and the Nike neck roll collar didn't help matters) I couldn't wait for new uniforms. I still didn't think they were as awful as many people did/do, but I started to understand where they were coming from.

To your point though. If I wasn't a fan of the team, I might have not liked them from the start. I'm sure if they were Bucs/Jags helmet/Clippers awful I would've hated them from the start, but much like the Browns new set they aren't abomination level bad where they're going to be universally hated from the beginning. I'm sure after a few years, whether it's just nostalgia kicking in or the unis not standing the test of time, a lot of the fans will be wanting a return to the old set or just some type of upgrade like we were.

And you know that how?

That seems like wishful thinking on your behalf. :upside:

You may be right, but I'll believe it when I see it. You have to at least take into consideration that a good amount of fans may actually like the new look and may possibly still like it in the future.

And you know that how?

You may be right, but I'll believe it when I see it. You have to at least take into consideration that a good amount of fans may actually like the new look and may possibly still like it in the future.

Well, no, I don't. That was the whole point of my comment. I understand that a good amount of Browns fans are currently excited about the idea that their team has new uniforms. And that excitement has, for now, overridden objectivity. For most of them, it'll pass.

And you know that how?

Well, no, I don't. That was the whole point of my comment. I understand that a good amount of Browns fans are currently excited about the idea that their team has new uniforms. And that excitement has, for now, overridden objectivity. For most of them, it'll pass.

You can't predict the future. As I stated for the most part the majority of Browns fans like the change. If they win they will embrace it more.

And you know that how?

You can't predict the future. As I stated for the most part the majority of Browns fans like the change. If they win they will embrace it more.

And you know that how?

Saying Browns fans will quickly get tired of the new uniforms has no leg to stand on. The Broncos have had their gimmic uniforms for what feels like forever now and yet the fans still love them. Same applies for the Titans, Rams, Falcons, and Cardinals. I'm willing to bet the same people said the exact same thing when the Seahawks unveiled their current uniforms and they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

We still don't know that the majority of Browns fans love the change. But we may get objective data soon.

Given how many people are in their official fan club, if the fans really love this look then the jerseys should be very high in the charts starting next season and lasting at least four or five seasons after that. Then we'll know for sure.

Really, it all boils down to whether or not you believe in such a thing as Good Taste. Seriously, people admit to having poor taste in music (got that new Kesha album yet?), fashion (crocs 'n socks), food (let's get some Arby's), beer (grab me a Bud Light Lime) and in all other walks of life, but when it comes to design; "I like it so it must be a good design."

I'm not suggesting that people should always be elitist in their choosing of what they like (everyone has their own guilty pleasures and areas of refinement whether that be musical instruments or car parts or flavors of ice cream), but don't argue that because X number of people like the design, it suddenly becomes Good Taste.

Perhaps people the concept of the new Browns uniforms (a classic uniform rendered in a modern style) appeals to more Browns fans more than the old uniforms did... Maybe that means it was the right direction for the Browns to go. That doesn't change the fact that the new uniforms are a mess on their own merit, even without comparing them to the old ones.

Really, it all boils down to whether or not you believe in such a thing as Good Taste. Seriously, people admit to having poor taste in music (got that new Kesha album yet?), fashion (crocs 'n socks), food (let's get some Arby's), beer (grab me a Bud Light Lime) and in all other walks of life, but when it comes to design; "I like it so it must be a good design."

I'm not suggesting that people should always be elitist in their choosing of what they like (everyone has their own guilty pleasures and areas of refinement whether that be musical instruments or car parts or flavors of ice cream), but don't argue that because X number of people like the design, it suddenly becomes Good Taste.

Perhaps people the concept of the new Browns uniforms (a classic uniform rendered in a modern style) appeals to more Browns fans more than the old uniforms did... Maybe that means it was the right direction for the Browns to go. That doesn't change the fact that the new uniforms are a mess on their own merit, even without comparing them to the old ones.

"Good taste" is in the eye of the beholder. What you may think is good taste may be in fact very poor taste to others. So in all reality, "good taste" is nothing more than a personal opinion.

"Good taste" is in the eye of the beholder. What you may think is good taste may be in fact very poor taste to others. So in all reality, "good taste" is nothing more than a personal opinion.

Actually, I'd argue Good Taste is objective, it's just simply varies by the individual the ability to discern it.

Under your mode of thinking, the good taste of a wine enthusiast who has traveled the globe for 40 years sampling wines from different countries holds the same amount of weight as the preferences of a high school girl sneaking a bottle from her parent's wine rack with her friends. Or that my own ability to determine what is good rap music is at the same level as Kendrick Lamar's opinion of good rap.

Saying everyone's opinion of Good Taste is equal in all areas of life and it all comes down to personal preference is a nice sentiment, but deep down, you know that isn't true.

I've already seen someone wearing the Browns jersey when they were in the crowd when I was watching WWE Raw a few weeks ago. It reminded me how it's interesting seeing people wear jerseys to wrestling shows, and when you watch old footage, you see someone in a jersey and it just brings you back to the time period, you know? I remember WCW Clash of the Champions in January 1997 was in Green Bay, and the Packers had just won the NFC Championship and there was so much Packers merchandise in the crowd. I know it's basically a religion in Wisconsin, but man, the mania was high at that exact moment.

bSLCtu2.png

Actually, I'd argue Good Taste is objective, it's just simply varies by the individual the ability to discern it.

Under your mode of thinking, the good taste of a wine enthusiast who has traveled the globe for 40 years sampling wines from different countries holds the same amount of weight as the preferences of a high school girl sneaking a bottle from her parent's wine rack with her friends. Or that my own ability to determine what is good rap music is at the same level as Kendrick Lamar's opinion of good rap.

Saying everyone's opinion of Good Taste is equal in all areas of life and it all comes down to personal preference is a nice sentiment, but deep down, you know that isn't true.

That's a very self-righteous way of looking at things. Actually I am a wine enthusiast and I've found bottles of wine in the $18 range that taste far superiour to $200+ bottles. Again, good taste is absolutlely nothing more than a personal opinion based on either your own personal expericences or by what your curtural surroundings have taught you.

And you know that how?

And you know that how?

You're wrong. I predicted you would post this twice.

Archived