New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not gone to the trouble of a 1-32 ranking. But if I had the time I'd do one "real" one and one for the Browns without the pants wordmark. They'd probably be 5 to 10 higher with the latter.

That wordmark kinda gives people the right to talk about them with the bottom-of-the-barrel teams. The jersey is serviceable but it still replaces a fairly iconic uniform (that helped make the Cleveland Deal happen). The brown facemask is a huge improvement to me but it does not offset the clownish pants. I don't like gray facemasks but they don't scream "clown" to me like the pants do. Normalize the pants and I definitely put Cleveland in the middle-third (i.e., 10 to 20 but closer to the latter). Now, they are probably around 25 (Tampa, Jacksonville, Seattle, and a few others).

But to rank them in the bottom three is not "someone pissing in your Cheerios" nor is it attacking Cleveland. It's an opinion. And one I get even if I don't share.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't know about bottom 3, but I know that they made some improvements on the uniform, but a lot of mistakes as well. This uniform is simply too modern for the Browns (a blue-collar team) and for that reason and several more the uniform is bad. I am planning on ranking all 32 uniforms in the next week or so and if I had to guess where the Browns would be, I don't think they would be no higher than the 20-28 range.

spacer.png

I usually love a good omelette, but lately I've been on a skillet kick. Eggs over easy, potatoes crispy, cheese, meat, mash it up and it's all good. Corn beef hash is great on a skillet, but it's got to be good corn beef hash - meaning disgustingly greasy. None of that "lean corn beef with oven roasted potatoes" crap. I will say that the favorite omelette I've ever had was an avocado and bacon with swiss cheese. So, where was I? Oh, yeah. Stay in school.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I have not gone to the trouble of a 1-32 ranking. But if I had the time I'd do one "real" one and one for the Browns without the pants wordmark. They'd probably be 5 to 10 higher with the latter.

That wordmark kinda gives people the right to talk about them with the bottom-of-the-barrel teams. The jersey is serviceable but it still replaces a fairly iconic uniform (that helped make the Cleveland Deal happen). The brown facemask is a huge improvement to me but it does not offset the clownish pants. I don't like gray facemasks but they don't scream "clown" to me like the pants do. Normalize the pants and I definitely put Cleveland in the middle-third (i.e., 10 to 20 but closer to the latter). Now, they are probably around 25 (Tampa, Jacksonville, Seattle, and a few others).

But to rank them in the bottom three is not "someone pissing in your Cheerios" nor is it attacking Cleveland. It's an opinion. And one I get even if I don't share.

I agree with much of this. I find the actual ranking of uniforms to be silly. I mean, how can you say "The Packers look great, but the Chiefs look slightly more great than them?" Reading the Paul Lukas rankings a week ago, I disagreed with much of it, but that may have been largely because uniforms I thought were "pretty good" appeared in the teens. I'd say you'd be better served just having categories, such as: great, good, decent, a few tweaks from decent, bad, and horrific.

To me, the "horrific" category would be the Browns, Buccaneers, Jaguars and Bengals. And honestly, the Jags are only in that category because of the helmet. Put a different helmet on them and they'd be in "a few tweaks from being decent". Maybe I'm immune to the Bengals uniforms because we've been looking at that crap for a decade already, but I also think they're better than the Browns and Bucs. The Cardinals unis are definitely bad, but they don't bother me as much, either. The Patriots don't belong in this conversation, as their unis are decent.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, the breakfast skillet is a good way to go, too. I'd still go scrambled on my eggs, some diced ham, sharp cheddar, onions, potatoes (crispy, like you say), but the key? Call me crazy, but you have to it this with hot sauce and sour cream.

Oh, yeah. Gotta have the hot sauce. I've never really cared for sour cream. Even on baked potatoes. I don't dislike it, but to me it's rather bland, so I normally just skip it and save a few calories. The only sour cream I've ever really liked is Chipotle's.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

We Really love them here in Cleveland the brown jerseys with orange numbers are a take on the jerseys from 1946.

I'm glad to hear you guys like these. I still think they're a bottom three NFL uniform...

Classic case of being wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to critical... trying to gain acceptance.

So you put them just 1 notch about Jacksonville and Tampa Bay?

Considering how good the previous look was and the team's history, Tampa Bay is the only uniform I'd say for certain is a bigger disaster than Cleveland's. The Browns' new helmet is worse, the jerseys are worse, the numbers, the pants, the wordmarks. Literally every element of this identity is a downgrade. Plus, it's horribly inappropriate for the franchise. Put these uniforms on the expansion Boise Browns and these are merely really bad. But for the Cleveland Browns they're all-time bad.

Exactly. And for the record I do think only Tampa and Jacksonville are looking worse.

Just because the look is a downgrade, doesn't mean its bottom 3 in the NFL. Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Arizona, and New England all have worse looking uniforms, just form a consistency and coherence aspect. Many would argue that Seattle is bottom 5 as well, considering all the different patterns and scale issues they have on literally every piece of their uniform.

Are there downgrades in the uniform? Yes. Are there upgrades? Yes. We have already beaten all those to death. I wouldn't put the Browns in the top 10 of uniforms. Hell, I wouldn't even put them in the top half. But to say they are bottom 3 is an extreme case of someone pissing in his Cheerios this morning.

Once again, I can't reiterate enough just because its NOT AS GOOD as the previous look, doesn't mean its bottom 3. Similarly, if Tampa Bay redesigns their uniforms next year and they are an improvement, it doesn't mean they are top 5 in the league. It just means its an improvement.

Again, I would put the current Browns unis in the bottom half of the NFL. But they are consistent, they are coherent, and they aren't nearly as bad as the 5 or 6 teams I previously mentioned.

It's definitely Bottom 3-5 depending on which scoring system you use. Just look at the rookie group picture and the browns jersey sticks out from the rest of the group so dramatically, but definitely not in a good way. TB/JAX may look hideous up close but they blend into the group as having some professional aesthetic to their design, but the browns on the other hand look like Christian Laettner in the '92 Dream Team official photo.

Cleveland can definitely be bottom three based on the combos they chose. If they stick to the combos that create color contrasts between the jerseys, pants, and socks, I'd probably rank them above Seattle and Cincinnati. But if they go largely with mono looks? Wear all brown or (*shudder*) all orange, which at this point is, frankly, what I'm expecting, they will not only head to the bottom three, but threaten to push either the Jags or Bucs right out.

GREAT

Green Bay Packers

Chicago Bears

Seattle Seahawks

Carolina Panthers

Washington Redskins

Kansas City Chiefs

Dallas Cowboys

GOOD

Buffalo Bills

Pittsburgh Steelers

Houston Texans

Cleveland Browns

New York Giants

Miami Dolphins

Minnesota Vikings

Detroit Lions

DECENT

Indianapolis Colts

Oakland Raiders

Baltimore Ravens

Saint Louis Rams

San Francisco 49ers

New Orleans Saints

A FEW TWEAKS FROM DECENT

New York Jets

New England Patriots

Denver Broncos

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Philadelphia Eagles

BAD

San Diego Chargers

Atlanta Falcons

Tennessee Titans

HORRIFIC

Arizona Cardinals

Cincinnati Bengals

Rankings are actually pretty hard, if you take into account a team's history and/or persona. Also, if you're being honest about your own preferences and prejudices.

That said, I've attempted to group my rankings into three groups (and within those groups, no particular order). Also, it should be noted that I'm only ranking primary home and away uniforms... best to ignore all alternatives or this just gets too complicated.

Top Ten; San Francisco, Green Bay, Chicago, Minnesota, NY Giants, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Kansas City.

Middle Dozen; Detroit, Washington, Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Jets, New England, Miami, New Orleans, Carolina, Houston, Denver, and San Diego

Bottom Ten; Seattle, St. Louis, Arizona, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Jacksonville, and Tennessee.

Here's mine (in no particular order)

The best 12: Green Bay, Oakland, Chicago, San Francisco, Indy, Kansas City, Baltimore, Minnesota, Detroit, Buffalo, Denver, and NY Giants.

They okay 10: Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, NY Jets, New Orleans, Seattle, San Diego, Miami, St. Louis, and Houston.

The worst 10: Cleveland, Arizona, Cincinnati, Dallas, Atlanta, Tennessee, Jacksonville, New England, Carolina, and Tampa Bay.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Here's mine, in no particular order.

The Big Ten

- Bears

- Packers

- Raiders

- Chiefs

- Colts

- Lions

- Vikings

- Dolphins

- Jets

- Steelers

The Middle of the Pack 10

- Browns

- Texans

- Eagles

- Bills

- Seahawks

- Panthers

- Chargers

- Broncos

- Falcons

- Bengals

The Not So Big 12

- Patriots

- Ravens

- Titans

- Jaguars

- Redskins

- Cowboys

- Giants

- Saints

- Buccaneers

- 49ers

- Cardinals

- Rams

Doing this made me realize how many NFL uniforms have issues that drive me crazy.

Yeah, the breakfast skillet is a good way to go, too. I'd still go scrambled on my eggs, some diced ham, sharp cheddar, onions, potatoes (crispy, like you say), but the key? Call me crazy, but you have to it this with hot sauce and sour cream.

I'm glad I read this after having breakfast and lunch. My mouth is watering.

Oh, yeah . . . The Browns uniforms are pretty bad. After all the other bad elements, the wordmarks on the pants are the rancid-because-it-has-been-sitting-out-all-day-at-the-picnic icing on the cake.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'll jump in on this group ranking system. Within the groups will be no particular order

TOP TEN: Bears, Chiefs, Packers, Raiders, Colts, Panthers, Texans, Bills, Vikings, Redskins

MIDDLE DOZEN: Steelers, 49ers (alts pushed them down), Lions, Dolphins, Patriots, Giants, Chargers, Cowboys, Falcons, Jets, Rams, Broncos

BOTTOM TEN: Seahawks, Buccaneers, Titans, Eagles, Saints, Jaguars, Browns, Bengals, Cardinals, Ravens

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1. Green Bay Packers

2. Minnesota Vikings

3. Chicago Bears

4. Oakland Raiders

5. Houston Texans

6. Pittsburgh Steelers

7. New York Giants

8. Kansas City Chiefs

9. San Diego Chargers

10. New England Patriots

11. Detroit Lions

12. Carolina Panthers

13. Baltimore Ravens

14. Philadelphia Eagles

15. Washington Redskins

16. Denver Broncos

17. Seattle Seahawks

18. New Orleans Saints

19. St. Louis Rams

20. Tennessee Titans (If they kept the baby blue, they would be higher on list)

21. Miami Dolphins (White is so boring)

22. Atlanta Falcons (Add black pants for away games)

23. Cincinnati Bengals (Remove white panel on side of jersey)

24. New York Jets (Different Shades of Fabric kill uniform)

25. Cleveland Browns (Pants stripe/wordmark)

26. Buffalo Bills (If facemask was blue this would be a top 10 uniform)

27. San Francisco 49ers (Gray Facemask)

28. Indianapolis Colts (If facemask was blue this would be a top 15 uniform)

29. Arizona Cardinals (If facemask was red, this would be a top 15 uniform)

30. Dallas Cowboys (Pick a shade of blue).

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Whole Uniform Sucks)

32. Jacksonville Jaguars (Helmet destroys whole design)

spacer.png

If the browns simply added the orange jersey, added the option for the orange pants, and the new helmet, I would honestly say it was a nice upgrade.

that said

far away, i do like the browns home brown, but would never(assuming I liked the team) buy it to wear because of the stiching.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 to 32 for me along with the throwbacks. Browns get an * because I haven't seen them on the field yet.

1. Seahawks

2. Packers

3. Cowboys

4. 49ers

5. Dolphins

6. Steelers

7. Chargers

8. Broncos

9. Jets

10. Giants

11. Colts

12. Vikings

13. Raiders

14. Ravens

15. Redskins

16. Texans

17. Rams

18. Patriots

19. Saints

20. Jaguars

21. Bears

22. Browns*

23. Titans

24. Lions

25. Panthers

26. Bills

27. Eagles

28. Cardinals

29. Bengals

30. Falcons

31. Chiefs

32. Bucs

Best NFL Throwbacks

1. Cowboys

2. Packers

3. Broncos

4. Eagles

5. Steelers

6. Jets

7. Bears

8. Colts

9. Redskins

10. Lions

Top 10 - Raiders, Packers, Bears, Bills, Vikings, Seahawks, 49ers, Chargers, Colts, Steelers

Middle Dozen - Lions, Giants, Redskins, Chiefs, Texans, Eagles, Saints, Rams, Panthers, Jets, Ravens, Dolphins

Bottom 10 - Broncos, Cowboys, Patriots, Bengals, Falcons, Cardinals, Titans, Browns, Jaguars, Buccaneers

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

1. Green Bay Packers

2. Minnesota Vikings

3. Chicago Bears

11. Detroit Lions

So it's save to say you like the NFC North uniforms...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived