NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

There was a clip of the cowboys doing a promo appearance in London yesterday and they had ads on their white game jerseys. I have to think this is a 1st and is definitely a test of things likely to come. They will likely wait for the nba to take the lead and absorb most of the outrage but get ready for your favorite team's corporate sponsor to be on the upper right chest.

most likely just practice jerseys

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a clip of the cowboys doing a promo appearance in London yesterday and they had ads on their white game jerseys. I have to think this is a 1st and is definitely a test of things likely to come. They will likely wait for the nba to take the lead and absorb most of the outrage but get ready for your favorite team's corporate sponsor to be on the upper right chest.

Or just jerseys for the promo or whatever they're doing there before the game. I didn't see any of it, but that would be my guess.
Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Or just jerseys for the promo or whatever they're doing there before the game. I didn't see any of it, but that would be my guess.

Exactly the point of my statement, they were just jerseys for the promo event but my point being that but this is the 1st official pairing of a game jersey with ad patches to my knowledge. They definitely were not the stripe-less, star on sleeve, white/navy, practice jerseys. We will likely be seeing more of this and I would be willing to bet that the London series could see in game ads on jerseys as early as next season and ultimately come stateside.

Baseball has had ads on their regular-season Japan and Australia trips for over a decade. Hasn't led to regular uni ads yet.

This one's from 2004:

New-York-Yankees-2004-Japan-Ricoh-Patch.

Correct. Your statement is consistent with my premise that we are very likely to see in game ads in London before we do stateside. I believe the nfl is using the above example as a basis for their own uniform ad test. Unlike baseball, I believe the nfl is more progressive in monetizing uniform ads in general and will consider bringing them stateside if they perceive their test to be successful. I also think they are going to wait and see how successful the nba is before they act. This seems like a very plausible and eventual scenario but only time will tell whether or not it pans out.

I also think the prevailing opinion on this board has suggested that despite mlb having been the 1st of the big 3 leagues to experiment with uniform ads overseas etc, they will likely be the last league to get into uniform ads due to their fixation with tradition. That's not to say that mlb doesn't have this discussion internally they just don't want to pull the trigger.

Eagles flat jerseys look like crap. They look like t shirts or the low-end Walmart style without the metallic sheen.

At least the sweat box hasn't been an issue... yet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Eagles flat jerseys look like crap. They look like t shirts or the low-end Walmart style without the metallic sheen.

I feel the opposite. The cheap walmart jerseys are always really shiny, as are peewee and middle school jerseys. I feel like matte jerseys give a more modern look and better show off the colors (when not a gold or silver shade). The titans for example look a hundred times better since the switch imo.

I cannot believe the Eagles had to wait 10 weeks for those jerseys they debuted last night. I really like the shiny uniforms better for any team as they seem to match helmets and this was the case with these new Eagles jerseys. This matte trend needs to go away now! If it stays, then teams like the 49ers and Saints will never be able to match the color of the jerseys/pants to the helmet.

spacer.png

I cannot believe the Eagles had to wait 10 weeks for those jerseys they debuted last night. I really like the shiny uniforms better for any team as they seem to match helmets and this was the case with these new Eagles jerseys. This matte trend needs to go away now! If it stays, then teams like the 49ers and Saints will never be able to match the color of the jerseys/pants to the helmet.

If it stays? It's been back in style for over a decade now. Wool/durene/polyester have all been primarily matte fabrics.The shiny uniform era that began in the late 80's and went through the early 00's was the exception to the matte rule. Sure there have been a few holdouts in the nfl, but college basically switched over quite some time ago.

I feel like matte jerseys give a more modern look and better show off the colors (when not a gold or silver shade).

I'd be with you, except Nike has shown that they can't be trusted to actually manufacture team colors. And not just gold or silver, which is bad enough. But green? All that money, all that merchandising power, all those designers and engineers and they can't handle green?

The matte midnight green jerseys are definitely better than metallic midnight green jerseys. Now they just need a matte helmet to match.

Couldn't disagree more. Their brand is about being sleek, fast, aggressive, etc. I don't think old-school matte conveys that image. The matte jerseys look like t-shirts to me.

The eagles looked like a mess. The green looked closer to turquoise and is completely miss-matched with the helmet. They need a make over in the worst way and this set has already had a decent run, put it to rest Eagles.

I agree with your first two sentences (though let's give it a chance under natural lighting first), but not the last one. I'm not opposed to a makeover as long as it's good, but I don't see the need for one. They just need metallic jerseys again to match the helmet better.

I feel the opposite. The cheap walmart jerseys are always really shiny, as are peewee and middle school jerseys. I feel like matte jerseys give a more modern look and better show off the colors (when not a gold or silver shade). The titans for example look a hundred times better since the switch imo.

I don't know - the super low-end jerseys I've seen being worn are always flat - basically like glorified stretchy t-shirts. I don't see how matte is modern at all (it can be, but isn't inherently.) Some teams / colors look better matte, some don't.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If it stays? It's been back in style for over a decade now. Wool/durene/polyester have all been primarily matte fabrics.The shiny uniform era that began in the late 80's and went through the early 00's was the exception to the matte rule. Sure there have been a few holdouts in the nfl, but college basically switched over quite some time ago.

Every Reebok uniform for the NFL had shiny material and that was just a few years ago, therefore since Nike took over that went away and that is the trend that I was talking about.

spacer.png

I made an account solely to ask this question because I haven't seen it asked anywhere:

Where are the Eagles midnight green pants? They've been missing all season and if our jerseys were supposedly ready after the bye, then wouldn't the pants be also? Have they been scrapped altogether or might we see them this Sunday?

Archived