NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

I don't know - the super low-end jerseys I've seen being worn are always flat - basically like glorified stretchy t-shirts. I don't see how matte is modern at all (it can be, but isn't inherently.) Some teams / colors look better matte, some don't.

I think I know what you're talking about. If they're the ones I'm thinking of I'm picturing more along the lines of something you'd find at old navy like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61pQ%2BVXCO0L._UX385_.jpg

I couldn't find a picture of the walmart ones I'm talking about, but they're basically cheap dazzle material on the shoulders with a mesh body. Really thin material, cheaper and thinner than the old reebok replicas.

In my search for the walmart jerseys I came across this http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Dallas-Cowboys-Official-NFL-4.5-x6-Car-Magnet/40850280 which I found really interesting because it follows the nike template which I thought was cool. I also came across a koozie once that had the template lines drawn out.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I actually really like the green Eagles jerseys... Don't know if I like how the helmet seems like it's a totally different looking shade of green... Maybe they should experiment in the near future with a matte midnight green helmet and updated wing logo

I was thinking the same thing. The Eagles' green looked good against the Panthers. It wasn't the ugly, blah color they had before. Problem tough, it didn't match the helmets.

But, it's an improvement...still inferior to Kelly Green.

635512559848492582-USP-NFL-Carolina-Pant20141110_ajw_so3_009.JPG.0_standard_730.

87Redskins.png

Yeah I actually really like the green Eagles jerseys... Don't know if I like how the helmet seems like it's a totally different looking shade of green... Maybe they should experiment in the near future with a matte midnight green helmet and updated wing logo

I was thinking the same thing. The Eagles' green looked good against the Panthers. It wasn't the ugly, blah color they had before. Problem tough, it didn't match the helmets.

635512559848492582-USP-NFL-Carolina-Pant20141110_ajw_so3_009.JPG.0_standard_730.

Give me this look any day over this new template. At least the helmet and jersey are similar in color compared to the images above.

philadelphia-eagles-2013-team.jpg?itok=8

Better yet, I'd rather have these Reebok jersey's back:

Jackson-Maclin-Avant-Eagles.jpg

spacer.png

I cannot believe the Eagles had to wait 10 weeks for those jerseys they debuted last night. I really like the shiny uniforms better for any team as they seem to match helmets and this was the case with these new Eagles jerseys. This matte trend needs to go away now! If it stays, then teams like the 49ers and Saints will never be able to match the color of the jerseys/pants to the helmet.

If it stays? It's been back in style for over a decade now. Wool/durene/polyester have all been primarily matte fabrics.The shiny uniform era that began in the late 80's and went through the early 00's was the exception to the matte rule. Sure there have been a few holdouts in the nfl, but college basically switched over quite some time ago.

Every Reebok uniform for the NFL had shiny material and that was just a few years ago, therefore since Nike took over that went away and that is the trend that I was talking about.

Every rbk one? Pretty sure the raiders kept their original old school jersey supplier and never fully adopted shiny material across the whole team at a given time. The giants did not have shiny jerseys nor did jax/atl/az from my observations. I think there are some others that switched over as well.

My point being that rbk was pretty hands off when they were the supplier. In many instances they let the teams keep their existing suppliers and basically swapped logos. At some point I believe they consolidated all/most of the manufacturing at ripon but they basically let the teams decide what materials and templates they wanted directly from ripon. Nike on the other hand made a push to get every team on board with a single uniform template which features matte fabrics which has essentially been the default fabric in college for a decade. Matte fabric is not new.

The Dolphins are breaking out the all-aqua for the first time in maybe a decade? I think I will love this look. The colors just pop so much more than the old set. The old all-aqua look was dark and grungy looking but this is fresh and vibrant. It certainly helps that the new fabrics are matte rather than the shiny finish of old. This could be a monochrome look I can get behind.

B2MFJu0IcAA5qHY.jpg

vs.

140919_Aqua.jpg

Paul Lukas had a whole post dedicated to the Eagles and green today. But what struck me is this last sentence:

Anyway: By this time next year, maybe the Eagles will be wearing kelly green. Will that be any easier for Nike to reproduce? Let’s hope so.

From anyone else, I wouldn't think twice about this. But Lukas, like him or hate him, has many connections. He usually knows things pretty far in advance, as well as all of the regulations and rules for changing jerseys and timeframes. He leaves hints about things months in advance and when they are reavealed officially does a kind of "told ya so."

Combine this with the original statement that the Eagles were experimenting with a kelly green alternate for next season and then immediately taking it back. This could have been done as to not hinder current jersey sales.

TLDR: I sound like a consipracy theorist, but maybe next year is our year for kelly green

No.

If he knew anything, he'd never leave a hint like that. He's always very careful not to be the one who leaks anything. I'm trying to think of anything that he's hinted at the way you suggest. I'll take your word for it, but I'm coming up blank. But a huge "maybe [insert leak I know is coming]" like that? No way.

It's just his wishful thinking. Hence the "maybe".

The Dolphins are breaking out the all-aqua for the first time in maybe a decade? I think I will love this look. The colors just pop so much more than the old set. The old all-aqua look was dark and grungy looking but this is fresh and vibrant. It certainly helps that the new fabrics are matte rather than the shiny finish of old. This could be a monochrome look I can get behind.

B2MFJu0IcAA5qHY.jpg

vs.

140919_Aqua.jpg

Aquafresh-Extreme-Clean-Whitening-Action

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

B2MFJu0IcAA5qHY.jpg

vs.

140919_Aqua.jpg

The Bears are in white on white in that game. Now that looks really weird.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

B2MFJu0IcAA5qHY.jpg

vs.

140919_Aqua.jpg

Aquafresh-Extreme-Clean-Whitening-Action

Those colors are perfect for the dolphins i love it .

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Anniversary patches we should expect for next year...

Ravens 20th Anniversary

Buccaneers and Seahawks 40th Anniversary

Falcons and Dolphins 50th Anniversary

Vikings 55th Anniversary

49ers and Browns 70th Anniversary

I'm a little bit disappointed the Cardinals didn't have a 25 Years in Arizona patch last year or in 2012.

Give me this look any day over this new template. At least the helmet and jersey are similar in color compared to the images above.

Aren't those the EXACT same with different league/sponsor patches?

Yes. They're even made by the same company (Ripon?) I believe.

I think the matte jerseys look much better. I always thought the green jersey with the shiny material looked way too dark. It almost looked black. The black trim on the neck and sleeves blended in with the green jersey. It was even difficult for me to tell when they wore their black alternate jerseys. The green helmets and black jerseys looked similar in color to me. I think the black "pops" a lot more on the matte jerseys.

Yes. They're even made by the same company (Ripon?) I believe.

I think the matte jerseys look much better. I always thought the green jersey with the shiny material looked way too dark. It almost looked black. The black trim on the neck and sleeves blended in with the green jersey. It was even difficult for me to tell when they wore their black alternate jerseys. The green helmets and black jerseys looked similar in color to me. I think the black "pops" a lot more on the matte jerseys.

I remember watching an afternoon game between Philadelphia and Washington and it took me at least two minutes beyond kickoff to tell if they were wearing black or green. (And on another note, the friends I have up in Philadelphia all LOVE the black jerseys; I don't get it.)

**IT'S A SOUTHERN THING, LOVE...**

Archived