In search of Larry O'Brien: 2015 NBA Playoffs

buzzcut

Jerry West won it despite a loss, and that's it. Chuck Howley won the Super Bowl MVP despite the Cowboys losing Super Bowl V.

I tend to put more stock in the NBA Finals MVP, Super Bowl MVP etc., because they tend to give it to the right person more often, instead of the lifetime achievement and change of pace treatment the regular season MVP awards tend to get.

That's why no-names, or at least non-superstars win the Super Bowl MVP. It's harder for that to happen in a 7-game series, but the showtime Lakers had Magic, Kareem and Worthy all win. They didn't get sentimental and pass over Kawhi Leonard for Tim Duncan last year. And that's why Jordan's six Finals MVPs mean so much more than regular season ones.

I think it would have to go 7 for LeBron to be considered in a loss today, and he'd have to stay clutch throughout. (You can't miss the Finals-winning shot and be named MVP, no matter what your stats are.) Still, I think someone will emerge for the Warriors, especially if they win in 6. Names already being narrowed above.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jean Sebastien Giguere Won the Conn Smythe in 2003.

This was in spite of the the fact that Marty, who recorded seven(!) shutouts in the playoffs and three in the finals alone, was the winning goaltender.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Jean Sebastien Giguere Won the Conn Smythe in 2003.

This was in spite of the the fact that Marty, who recorded seven(!) shutouts in the playoffs and three in the finals alone, was the winning goaltender.

The difference in hockey is that it's for the entire playoffs...and JS Giguere carried that team to the finals. I think in the NBA it's just the finals MVP. It's probably harder to give the award to any player on a team that took only two of six games. But if ever there was a time...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree with the notion of Lebron getting MVP in a losing effort here. What he's done has been absolutely monsterous. But I wouldn't be shocked to see AI get it either. He's easily been the Warriors biggest player this post season.

It's a shame how this performance by Lebron will ultimately be overlooked by most (dumb) fans. Sure, Lebron is one loss from being 2-4 in the Finals, but how anyone wouldn't appreciate what he's done is beyond me.

Yup. LeBron could not get it done. That's all that will be remembered.

In ten years, it'll be: "Yeah, he goes to Cleveland and they sign Kevin Love. Plus they had Kyrie Irving. And he falls on his face in the finals again."

I kinda hope he gets MVP too just to put that reminder out there a bit. He's been unbelievable in circumstances that were flat out insurmountable.

I honestly don't think it will be like that this time. Lebron is still probably a douche, but I think the widespread hatred for him is done. He earned a lot of good credit from people for returning to Cleveland (although it was the right move, as Miami peeked due to Wade having the body of a 45 year-old). I think everybody knows that this Cavs team is Lebron and a bunch of schlubs. It's not that impressive getting through the horse crap Eastern conference, but it's very impressive that they've beaten the Warriors twice and outplayed them three times this series. That's all on him. I think people will hold this Cavaliers run in just as high regard as they do his titles with the Heat. They'll talk about it as they do the Knicks' run to the Finals sans Ewing in 1999.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree with the notion of Lebron getting MVP in a losing effort here. What he's done has been absolutely monsterous. But I wouldn't be shocked to see AI get it either. He's easily been the Warriors biggest player this post season.

It's a shame how this performance by Lebron will ultimately be overlooked by most (dumb) fans. Sure, Lebron is one loss from being 2-4 in the Finals, but how anyone wouldn't appreciate what he's done is beyond me.

Yup. LeBron could not get it done. That's all that will be remembered.

In ten years, it'll be: "Yeah, he goes to Cleveland and they sign Kevin Love. Plus they had Kyrie Irving. And he falls on his face in the finals again."

I kinda hope he gets MVP too just to put that reminder out there a bit. He's been unbelievable in circumstances that were flat out insurmountable.

I honestly don't think it will be like that this time. Lebron is still probably a douche, but I think the widespread hatred for him is done. He earned a lot of good credit from people for returning to Cleveland (although it was the right move, as Miami peeked due to Wade having the body of a 45 year-old). I think everybody knows that this Cavs team is Lebron and a bunch of schlubs. It's not that impressive getting through the horse crap Eastern conference, but it's very impressive that they've beaten the Warriors twice and outplayed them three times this series. That's all on him. I think people will hold this Cavaliers run in just as high regard as they do his titles with the Heat. They'll talk about it as they do the Knicks' run to the Finals sans Ewing in 1999.

I don't even know if it's about hating LeBron. It's more about the fact that we just count titles and that's it. The details of this Finals loss will be forgotten. All that will be remembered is the "L". And I just think that's the way we are.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Even in a series loss, this should be lauded as one of the best personal finals performances in a long time. If the Cavs come back and win, it will go down in history as probably the best individual performance ever.

Even in a series loss, this should be lauded as one of the best personal finals performances in a long time. If the Cavs come back and win, it will go down in history as probably the best individual performance ever.

I don't think the idea of the Cavs winning this series is really even occurring to anyone by now. Either way, though, it's been incredible. And if I am a Cavs fan, I really am thinking about what may have been if not for the injuries.

POTD (Shared)

I don't think the idea of the Cavs winning this series is really even occurring to anyone by now. Either way, though, it's been incredible. And if I am a Cavs fan, I really am thinking about what may have been if not for the injuries.

This is Cleveland... all we think about is the "what ifs".

As much as I despise LeBron, I would honestly like to see him get Finals MVP, whether or not the Warriors seal the deal. I think Curry deserved NBA MVP for this season, but LeBron has done something special this finals series. Unless LeBron can hit the switch even further, I think the Warriors win the next game; they're starting to play like their usual selves.

If LBJ keeps playing the way he has so far and if the Cavs manage to take this thing 7 games but lose, I think you gotta give him the MVP. Let's be honest here, it's kind of a miracle that this Cavs team has managed to win two games in this series. Curry has been pretty good but at no point has he dominated in this series. Just my opinion, but right now I think Iguodala is the Warriors MVP.

BB52Big.jpg

If LBJ keeps playing the way he has so far and if the Cavs manage to take this thing 7 games but lose, I think you gotta give him the MVP. Let's be honest here, it's kind of a miracle that this Cavs team has managed to win two games in this series. Curry has been pretty good but at no point has he dominated in this series. Just my opinion, but right now I think Iguodala is the Warriors MVP.

If LeBron had drove for the basket instead of shooting it, they'd have been 3-0. That's INSANE. And it would've had the curious implication of Irving potentially not getting injured in overtime and him in fact still being in this series.

GR30a5H.png

If LeBron had drove for the basket instead of shooting it, they'd have been 3-0. That's INSANE. And it would've had the curious implication of Irving potentially not getting injured in overtime and him in fact still being in this series.

Considering the way Kyrie went down, I think it would've happened regardless. No contact and no weird cut or anything like that. The knee just went out. If not that game, it may have been the next unfortunately.

I feel weird about the idea of giving the finals MVP to a guy on the losing end, but if we are talking "most valuable" nobody fits that more than LeBron. If he isn't playing the Cavs aren't even in the playoffs, let alone in game 6 of the finals. Take Steph off the Warriors and they still make the playoffs at least.

Marty got robbed in 2003.

This series LeBron can make a case, though if Curry goes off in Game 6 and the Warriors end it there forget it.

No he didn't. Marty in 2003 had the least impressive seven shutouts ever.

He barely was tested. Tim Thomas faced nearly 40 shots in hids game 7 shutout. Brodeur barely gave up 25 shots in his shutouts.

He didn't steal a game or do something amazing. He was just.... there.

Considering the way Kyrie went down, I think it would've happened regardless. No contact and no weird cut or anything like that. The knee just went out. If not that game, it may have been the next unfortunately.

No, it didn't. Klay hit him with his.

No, it didn't. Klay hit him with his.

Please show the video where your "boy" got hit by Klay's knee. Speaking of your boys... how are the Cavs feeling tonight? How was team dinner last night? What did you guys have?

I am 99% certain it was a non-contact injury. If there was contact, it was minimal at best... not enough to cause a fractured knee cap.

I don't care if its not impressive to you, it won the Cup he had three shutouts in the Finals and was the best player on the ice. Giguere lost. He did nothing in the Finals the Ducks were lucky to win two games in overtime or it could have been a sweep. In the first four games Marty just allowed two goals in regulation, lost 1-0 in overtime in Game 4. So that is 4 regulation shutouts.

You take away his Game 6 and Brodeur allowed just six goals total in the other six games and that includes three in Game 5.

It was domination by Marty.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't care if its not impressive to you, it won the Cup he had three shutouts in the Finals and was the best player on the ice. Giguere lost. He did nothing in the Finals the Ducks were lucky to win two games in overtime or it could have been a sweep. In the first four games Marty just allowed two goals in regulation, lost 1-0 in overtime in Game 4. So that is 4 regulation shutouts.

You take away his Game 6 and Brodeur allowed just six goals total in the other six games and that includes three in Game 5.

It's easy to dominate when the opposition has :censored: offense and crap defense. And again, it's the playoff MVP, not the Stanley Cup finals MVP. Anaheim took out the top two seeds in the Western Conference as a 7 seed. That's on Giguere.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's easy to dominate when the opposition has :censored: offense and crap defense. And again, it's the playoff MVP, not the Stanley Cup finals MVP. Anaheim took out the top two seeds in the Western Conference as a 7 seed. That's on Giguere.

In fairness, Giguere pitched 3 or 4 shutouts (Did Minnesota score a goal in that series?) against probably the least offensive team in NHL playoff history in the WC finals.

But that is the difference...the award is for the entire playoffs. Giguere was the man for that entire spring. If the award was just for the finals, then yeah, Brodeur gets it.

POTD (Shared)

Archived