2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

7 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

NHL Dude: Hey, Billy... come over here for a sec.

Intern: It's Braden, actually, sir.

NHL Dude: Sure.  Hey, uh, Comcast threw us some money, so we need you to make a promo that ties the playoffs in with this new King Kong ride thingy.

Intern: You want me to compare the playoffs to a theme park ride where a giant gorilla fights dinosaurs and tries to eat you?

NHL Dude: Make it happen, champ.

What you get when you want to use Coldplay but can only afford some clips from their really stupid music video.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Thomas said:

Why would someone (many) hate Sidney Crosby ?

He is the Drake of hockey.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 5/27/2016 at 3:15 PM, McCarthy said:

I've seen all 30 NHL teams at Nationwide Arena plus the Thrashers and no fanbase is more obnoxious or annoying than Pittsburgh. Buffalo used to be bad, Detroit is sometimes bad, Chicago was getting annoying for a little bit there, but the Pittsburgh fans who come into Nationwide Arena are far and away the worst behaved visiting fans I've ever seen at a sporting event. 

No argument there. Of the "name" teams, I've seen the Pens, Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Flyers at Nationwide and Pens fans were the worst of the bunch. Red Wings fans weren't bad at all. Granted, I've only seen the Wings one time at Nationwide so it may have just been a good night or something. I've also went to see the Rangers in Pittsburgh back in 2002. (I think?) The fans in Pittsburgh were a lot cooler than the ones that go to Jackets games in Columbus. Flyers fans were surprisingly cool. 

A fanbase that really surprised me was Vancouver's. There were a lot more Canucks fans at a game in Columbus than I ever would have expected - maybe 100 or so which I thought was a lot for team that's so far from Columbus. And they were complete ass-holes. 

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

I've rooted for a perennial loser for almost 15 years and while that time isn't the long torrid plight other fans have suffered, I've tolerated some substantial disappointments. If I was following hockey for less than five years, I wouldn't make such a bold statement. Maybe this is my crazy philosophy as a sports fan, but if the Blues were moving on, I would've rooted for them. I like seeing different teams win. It makes it more interesting for me as a fan to watch different teams get a title and when someone like you, or anyone I know on Facebook, comes out and gives me sarcasm or argues the point, I get defensive.

I'd find it more unusual if fans of franchises like your Leafs or Flyers or Sabres wouldn't feel the same. We spend countless time and energy rooting for these guys, wanting to see them succeed and tolerate several heartbreaks along the way, so yea, I feel like I've "paid some dues" in a fandom sense and deserve to see them be happy for a change. 

That could bring a tear to a glass eye :rolleyes:.

21 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Well Mike, I'll be honest with you. Your initial point pissed me off. I've rooted for a perennial loser for almost 15 years and while that time isn't the long torrid plight other fans have suffered, I've tolerated some substantial disappointments. If I was following hockey for less than five years, I wouldn't make such a bold statement. Maybe this is my crazy philosophy as a sports fan, but if the Blues were moving on, I would've rooted for them. I like seeing different teams win. It makes it more interesting for me as a fan to watch different teams get a title and when someone like you, or anyone I know on Facebook, comes out and gives me sarcasm or argues the point, I get defensive.

I'd find it more unusual if fans of franchises like your Leafs or Flyers or Sabres wouldn't feel the same. We spend countless time and energy rooting for these guys, wanting to see them succeed and tolerate several heartbreaks along the way, so yea, I feel like I've "paid some dues" in a fandom sense and deserve to see them be happy for a change. 

See here's the thing. You mentioned the Leafs. I get :censored: for Leafs failures stretching back to when my dad was nine.

The Harold Ballard years? Yep. I may have been born in 1987, but I've got to swallow all of that crap. Habs and Wings fans going off about "losers since '67" is bad enough without having to deal with Sens fans. At least the Habs and Wings fans can legitimately give us crap.

That doesn't even touch on the "anyone but the Leafs" fans that seem to plague Ontario. The people born and raised in the GTA but suddenly discover some long lost third cousin from Windsor or Laval to justify Wings or Habs fandom. Or even the ones who don't even put up such pretenses. From Cambridge but root for the Rangers or Canucks because lolLeafs. 

And all of these people are, again, giving me crap for my team's failures that my dad was barely aware of. My team's one of the storiest teams in the league. A true cornerstone of the league, nay the very sport of hockey. And they haven't done jack :censored: since Canada's centennial.

It makes all of that history that should be a source of pride hurt. And then the one team with a longer Cup drought breaks it, and they don't even have the decency to be unlikeable.

The Sharks have choked in the playoffs for fifteen years? At least their failures weren't an affront to what should be a legacy worth celebrating. Hell. At least they were in the playoffs for most of those fifteen years. 

So yeah. I get the excitement over seeing someone new. I get the excitement over seeing your team seemingly break through after years of futility. You know what though? And this is just the G-d's honest truth...

Sharks fans have nothing on Leafs fans when it comes to "paying their dues." 

I know you weren't here for most of the ICS drama, and I know that you're not one of the insufferable Sharks fans on HFBoards who get their jollies pumping up a :censored: ing rec league, but here's the thing. Those fans really soured me to the whole "San Jose Sharks" thing. Which is a shame because I remember absolutely loving their uniforms as a kid. 

It's not that I hold their :censored: hattery against you, but still. I'm already conditioned to assume Sharks fans are just a bit full of themselves. And then you show up and say you've paid your dues? While we Leafs fans are still eating :censored: sandwiches for failings most of us weren't even alive for? I get defensive. 

As should be evident. 

[/endrant]

Go Leafs go <.<

Seriously. Best of luck to your guys. 

10 hours ago, Thomas said:

I don´t think so, Crosby only roots for one team

What about that thing he has with the Carolina Hurricanes?

Fake edit: nm that's Team Canada

16 hours ago, Morgo said:

That could bring a tear to a glass eye :rolleyes:.

Oh Morgo, what are we going to do with you?

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Seriously. Best of luck to your guys. 

Condensed for reading ease. Thank you for the wishes and I'm glad we some clarification on both fronts. Initially, I was a little tipsy on Saturday night when I saw the response, so I was tempted to use a couple four letter words in response. But just goes to show you kids, self-editing is chic these days. Your mods will thank you!

Anyways, I'm sure there are douchebag Sharks fans out there who would unnecessarily rub it in peoples faces they finally got over the hump, but every fanbase has their instigators but I think the ones here, like ninersdd, DaRadniz and SFGiants58 have shown to be timid in light of new found success. Also, by no means do I think my suffering is worse than those who have endured more (like Hawks fans before 2010, Leafs fans, Sabres fans, etc.).

On the other front, It sucks people flaunt successful heritage over your head, though it's weird how millennial Habs fans only have past successes to point to, which is kind of jank. The main point I wanted to get across is many of us in teal have put forward a good amount of effort supporting a team in the face of consistent underachieving and feel more deserving of a celebration compared to a franchise who has banked it home thrice in twenty years. Any more analyzing of suffering becomes more of a pissing match and I would assume you, like me, don't really care to waste time, deciding how one's suffering is worse. We just want it to stop!

But yes, I like many things about the Leafs and hope they start making some deep runs out East. I think we're all a little tired of seeing Boston and Pittsburgh in there. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Side note, as it's Memorial Day and the Steelers came up in conversation in this thread as a reason why people hated the Penguins. Back in 1969, my dad's best buddy in boot camp was from Pittsburgh and was quite proud of his Steelers, kept talking about them and how they would turn things around someday. My dad had no favorite NFL team, just liked watching it. Anyway, my dad was shipped (with us in tow) to a base in  North Carolina, while his buddy was shipped to Vietnam, where he was killed within the first couple days of being deployed. So, as a tribute, my dad adopted the Steelers as his favorite NFL team and has stuck with them ever since...

I now return you to your regularly scheduled hockey talk.

FYI, NBC is offering a "mosaic view" via the NBCSports Live Extra app.  I'll be checking it out.  Here's what it looks like for horse racing:

LiveExtraKD-Mosaic-2-768x435.png

productImages%2f_2475000%2fff_2475229_fu

atleast we finally know what the solution is to the Sharks having patches everywhere. Looks like the anniversary patch will be left off during the finals.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

This is like a bowl game you think is going to be close and then it's obvious from the first snap that one team is clearly better. 

Hoping the Sharks can turn it around and make adjustments now that they've seen how fast Pittsburgh is.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived