2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

59 minutes ago, the admiral said:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-nhls-balance-of-power-is-shifting-to-the-eastern-conference

There needs to be like a Croix de Candlestick pin for anyone who can read this entire piece of crap. I got as far as the Capitals picture and just PgDned the rest of it. Awful, just awful.

I gave up so far before that, I thought maybe the Capitals picture you got was something that loads up uniquely for each reader. I commend you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I gave up so far before that, I thought maybe the Capitals picture you got was something that loads up uniquely for each reader. I commend you.

I finished the article, and my head hurts... 

This is from the article

Look at your Pacific Division. Just look at it. It's pathetic. The Oilers are 11-8-1 and leading that division? Are the Flames, Canucks and Coyotes even NHL teams? You've got that trio of incompetence to feast on and that's the best you can do? 

You have the Islanders, Hurricanes, and Devils... 

Yeah, the East might have better numbers, but when the talent is loaded on the top and (mostly) absent on the bottom, you're gonna have Eastern teams that look better on paper... The West's talent is a little more evenly distributed. We can usually count on the Caps, B's, Pens, Rags, and maybe the Habs to be on top every year... We can also usually expect the Leafs, Canes, Sabres and (Again Usually... This year is a little different) the Beej to be struggling on the bottom... At least for about 5 years or so. The West usually only expects the Coyotes and Oilers... Everyone else fluctuates pretty regularly...

Now I'm not trying to just defend the West, because the East has been gaining a little ground, but by no means is it in anyway that this author has described it. I can't even tell if he's being serious or not! 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Re. Olympics, commissioner Bettman said. "I think after doing five of these, I don't know, fatigue might be a word?"

I knnooowwww the king of outdoor games, of the same teams on NBC (to grow the game lols), keeping the likes of the Coyotes & Hurricanes alive while Quebec City & its new building idle, didn't just say no Olympics possibly because of fatigue.

Tell us again how magnificent he is.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

This whole league is a big pan of lukewarm mush. Everyone ranges from "pretty good, considering" to "not too bad but catastrophically unlucky." No one's awesome, no one sucks. Everyone either wins or half-wins. The only loser is me, the hockey viewer.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Re. Olympics, commissioner Bettman said. "I think after doing five of these, I don't know, fatigue might be a word?"

I knnooowwww the king of outdoor games, of the same teams on NBC (to grow the game lols), keeping the likes of the Coyotes & Hurricanes alive while Quebec City & its new building idle, didn't just say no Olympics possibly because of fatigue.

Tell us again how magnificent he is.

This may shock you, but Bettman is concerned about the best interests of the NHL, not hockey fans worldwide.  It's always a risk to put your season on hold for three weeks, and the NHL doesn't really have anything to gain with the Games in South Korea as they do when it's in North America, Russia, or Europe.

Those that watch Olympic hockey are likely to watch anyway, no matter if it's professionals or college players.

Two weeks from Christmas and the Oilers are in a playoff spot

Jets gotta get it together, though. I think they will. I think they'll break off a huge winning streak soon.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion, elsewhere, about fighting in the NHL, and whether or not it should go away.

Fighting will always have its place, as it should. The League does have a responsibility to try to minimize it, though, in the interest of player safety.

True Enforcers are a thing of the past, and the AHL's suspensions after your tenth fight are likely coming to the NHL soon.

That being said, I think the current balance is good. Fewer fights leaves more room on rosters for skilled players. As long as your team has a few guys who can throw down, rise to the need and step up in a way that clearly tells a bully player, "cut that s#!t out," party on, Garth.

Thoughts?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Call game misconducts on any coordinated fights off the draw or stupid "get the players excited" fights. That pretty much leaves having to beat the crap out of a guy in the heat of the moment because he did something to deserve it.

On 2016-12-12 at 4:16 AM, the admiral said:

Two weeks from Christmas and the Oilers are in a playoff spot

With more losses than wins! Thank Bettman for the OTL point.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

On 11/22/2016 at 3:31 PM, the admiral said:

No, apparently Matthew McConaughey.

I had this sitting in my quote reservoir here, have no idea of the context any longer, but it made me laugh, so I'm leaving it.

1 hour ago, FGM13 said:

With more losses than wins! Thank Bettman for the OTL point.

What's wrong with OTL points?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived