NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

^ yea, maybe so, though I enjoyed this matchup today:

11bbed90-45c6-11e8-99e9-4548576500d0_ima

that Rockets red contrasted nicely against all the blues in the Wolves arena.

Nice turn of events to have both teams in their primary colors after what we got the first two games.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, Foxxtrot44 said:

I'll take "NBA Team Colors for $500, Alex."

"Red, orange, and yellow."

"What are three colors that I have never affiliated the Utah Jazz with in my 40 years of watching the NBA that the franchise has suddenly adopted in 2017-2018 for no other reason than Nike wanting every team in the league to have about 17 different identities."

"That is correct."

5 hours ago, mafiaman said:

"What are three colors that I have never affiliated the Utah Jazz with in my 40 years of watching the NBA that the franchise has suddenly adopted in 2017-2018 for no other reason than Nike wanting every team in the league to have about 17 different identities."

"That is correct."

Pretty sure the Jazz have worn every color jersey. Navy, Purple, Green, Yellow, White, Black, Light Blue, Red, and Orange.

6 hours ago, mafiaman said:

"That is correct."

Not to mention their scorebug on ESPN was green yesterday :)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 4/19/2018 at 11:26 AM, -Akronite- said:

crop-640x360-000.jpg

Rockets in black with a few red accents versus the TWolves in gray with no color... In the playoffs.

Having trouble posting the actual image, but look at what this matchup once looked like...

Nike has been horrible for the NBA. The entire league is one big muddled brand.

TOO MUCH GRAY. TOO MUCH BFBS. TOO MANY ALTERNATES. And a whole lot of fumbled rebrands.

At least my Cavs will wear wine on the road this year.

The current state of affairs is nowhere near as bad as that period of a few years when Adidas was trying to shove sleeved jerseys down our throats every chance they got.

I actually like how creative teams have gotten with their alternates under Nike. It's a big improvement over this mess:

SWWaycU.jpg

4blFjLV.jpg

bACDYZf.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

23 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

4blFjLV.jpg

Steph looks like a sad little boy wearing his dad's pleated shorts. Who possibly thought those were a good idea? FFS

Nike made that sweet Orlando city uniform and, like Adidas, made OKC alts that look better than the main uniform. Plus they salvaged that absurd Clippers wordmark into a pretty nice set.

Otherwise? Mostly a lot of junk. The Spurs wearing black at home today is dumb. The Lakers not wearing purple or gold in April is dumb. The Cavs' stupid gray jerseys is dumb. There's really just so much Nike for the sake of Nike that you can almost forgive Adidas' worst excesses. For the most part, the uniform matchups at least made sense.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

33 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Sleeved jerseys are dumber than dumb, but declaring the Nike takeover as an aesthetic success because of them being gone is like declaring the Hurricanes' look better than the Whalers' because they don't wear cooperalls.

Sleeves (and Clippers) aside, Adidas had a league that looked somewhat coherent and professional.  Nike has done little but :censored: on every team they wrap their fingers around, including the Celtics and Lakers, since they took over.

Nike/NBA really needs to give the teams back control over what they wear and when they wear them.  Even though I'm not the biggest NBA fan, I must acknowledge how ridiculous it is that the Lakers seem to be always in yellow or the Rockets in red at home.  In theory, colour vs colour, and all the crazy alternates is not such a bad thing, but the way it has been executed made it a bit of a cluster*beep*.  Baseball does it right where teams designate a certain alternate uniform to be worn on a certain day.  I think NHL teams does the same thing.

Really unpopular opinion, but is anyone else actually kinda enjoying the way the Nike system has worked in playoff series? Regardless of the merit of the uniforms themselves, to me it's really cool to see the multiple ways each team's duds can match up against each other in up to 7 games. It's like each game has a distinct look to it.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

46 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Really unpopular opinion, but is anyone else actually kinda enjoying the way the Nike system has worked in playoff series? Regardless of the merit of the uniforms themselves, to me it's really cool to see the multiple ways each team's duds can match up against each other in up to 7 games. It's like each game has a distinct look to it.

The only uniform I hate out of this experiment are the gray T-wolves uni's. Those are bad. I don't mind what the other teams have used. 

17 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The current state of affairs is nowhere near as bad as that period of a few years when Adidas was trying to shove sleeved jerseys down our throats every chance they got.

I actually like how creative teams have gotten with their alternates under Nike. It's a big improvement over this mess:

SWWaycU.jpg

4blFjLV.jpg

bACDYZf.jpg

PRO: I totally agree that the t-shirts were an abomination and I'm glad Nike ended that experiment.

CON: At least those were treated as alternates and didn't essentially become primaries.

Design-wise there is too much going on in the NBA with the Nike takeover in general. Too many new jerseys and identities at once, especially with how many have turned out. But I think if they hadn't removed logic from jersey scheduling there'd be a lot less bitching. 

I definitely agree that Nike should stop meddling in teams' uniform rotations. That's really my only complaint with the Nike era. (I don't like the ads on jerseys, either, but that is a league directive, not a manufacturer directive, obviously.)

Aesthetically, Nike's "look at me" design element (scapula seams) is more tolerable than Adidas' "look at me" design element (sleeves). And most teams seem to be getting a lot more creative with alternates under Nike than they ever did with Adidas. It's clear that NBA alternates are now going to be more like third jerseys in hockey instead of recolors of the main set. I think people would be less frustrated/confused if they adjust their expectations accordingly. Overall, the Nike era has still been a big step up from the Adidas era, IMO.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Neither Adidas nor Nike can make great basketball uniforms anymore.  Sad, during the late 90s/early 2000s they were the best of the best as far as jerseys are concerned.  Now they make them look cheap and us consumers spend a whole lot of money for a jersey that is nowhere near the quality and durability now then it was back then.

These OKC are an example of good Nike jerseys. The Thunder are weird, because they've had a handful of alts that kind-of-but-don't-really connect to each other.

These probably make the most sense;

th?id=OIP.6L7qT2-2ecAExAjvJitxewHaHa&pid

These were cool enough, but what do they have to do with anything?

41wrjMdX0tL.jpg

These are wonderful, but again, have no connection to the base set:

thunder_407.jpg

And among all of their alts, these are probably closest to the core Thunder identity. Perhaps not coincidentally, they're also the worst:

city_swingman_anthony__55619.1517011845.

I can't wait until this Houston-Minnesota series is over. It's probably the ugliest matchup in the playoffs thus far. Games 3 and 4 were better than 1 and 2, but not by much. Really think it would've been a good time for the Wolves to roll out the green set for at least one of the home games. Would've looked better going against Houston's red road set.

Archived