Which rebrands made this community react the most?

csura999

53 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The one that sticks out most to me is the Buffaslug. The new Browns uniforms were a pretty big deal too, but that one may seem bigger to me than it actually was because it involved one of my teams. 

It was big. We all knew they were getting new logos, but then they slapped us in the face with "the orange being oranger" crap of a logo and those atrocious uniforms. I remember posting about the Browns unveiling and I actually had to wait to post because I was posting way too much during that topic. As I've stated before, I'm not a Browns fan, and I felt betrayed by those uniforms. I HATE seeing them every week and I hope they do switch back to the traditional uniforms whenever they can.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the Buffaslug saga like it was yesterday because it was how I discovered this forum.  I remember being genuinely surprised that people were advocating the return of blue and gold to begin with.  I was ten when the so called 'goat-head' was unveiled and thought it was such a massive improvement over the rather simple look that existed before.  That being said, nothing could prepare me for the shock that followed the leak of the Slug.  I was certain it had to be a joke and remember developing a serious dislike for the Sabres once it was made official.  Ottawa beating them in the Conference Finals that year was a victory not only for Canada but for sports aesthetics in general.

Can't recall a single re-brand receiving such universal disdain.  So definitely the slug.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I seem to recall the Reebok Edgification of the NHL got some traction too....

That was my answer. The entire league rebranded and the new (mostly garbage) uniforms dripped out bit by bit. It was a lot to absorb at once.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

If memory serves, the reaction to the Bills new look was mostly positive too.

Yeah, it seems like most people on here still like it now too. I love it aside from the tapered helmet stripes.

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think the Cardinals' new look unveiling in 2005 still holds the record for most users online at a single time. The forums almost crashed.

I wasn't here for the Cardinals unveiling, but I was for the Marlins and I absolutely remember the board crashed for about a couple of hours. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The Marlins were the one that I was really excited for and seemed like a HUGE deal on the boards. I joined after Buffaslug though, I'm sure that was insanity.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I think the Vikings, Jags, Miami, and Bucs maybe, were the same year. The Browns switched the following season. 

2013 had Jacksonville, Miami, and Minnesota.

2014 had Tampa Bay.

2015 had Cleveland.

I joined around the time of the Bills navy fiasco, so I've seen a LOT here.  The Buffaslug was far and away the biggest fiasco here.  

The AZ Cards was big too - logo all positive, uniforms mixed - mostly negative.

Jags 2010ish (the first move away from the classic set) was big here too.

Browns might be the biggest, but per capita I think the Slug takes the gold medal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, CS85 said:

The Browns were part of an offseason of several flips, I feel.  Wasn't it Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and Miami who all got new looks that offseason?

Jacksonville, Miami, and Minnesota happened in 2013, Tampa Bay changed their uniforms in 2014, and Cleveland's uniforms were unveiled in 2015.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I don't remember the slug unveiling, but the Bucs' one was very memorable to me.  I don't think anyone had any idea that it was coming, and then we had like two days notice that a beloved look was going to be trashed.  And, of course, those uniforms were very (to be kind) "cutting edge".  It gave us a lot to talk about.  What's that weird shadow?  They have random black spray paint marks on the helmet!?!?

@wildwing64 "pisstake" describes most things the Sabres have done in the last 10 years.  Thank you for that description.

ott.jpg

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think the Cardinals' new look unveiling in 2005 still holds the record for most users online at a single time. The forums almost crashed.

That's amazing given the number of people that have joined since then.

I do recall that being a really, really big day here.  That was a long time ago so I don't recall?  Did they avoid any leaks?  Maybe that's why we were all on...most big things since then have had leaks, leading us to trickle into the discussion.  Or maybe not.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Jags 2010ish (the first move away from the classic set) was big here too.

2009. I remember because it was the reason I joined the boards. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived