Arena Rafters & Banners

Look at the Federko banner. The fonts used are different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just a random question, but does anyone know how many banners are in the rafters of the Bell Centre? 24 Cups, plus like 10 retired numbers, not to mention division championships, President's Trophies, etc.

24 Stanley Cup banners

17 Retired number banners

1 Expos commemorative/Retired numbers banner

1 Canadiens Centennial commemorative banner (though they originally has two of this banner and still might, but I only recall seeing one last time I was there in January).

Total: 43 (or 44)

They have no banners for division or conference championships.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this photo in the New York Times today...

What's with the Heat putting up banners for Olympic participation? It's not even affiliated with the team!

Also, whats that banner on the far right? The pic in the times is clearer, but it looks like it says "Ron Culp - NCAA Athletic Trainer" - What???

Looking for explanations...

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/113484686/Getty-Images-Sport

What's with the Heat putting up banners for Olympic participation? It's not even affiliated with the team!

Also, whats that banner on the far right? The pic in the times is clearer, but it looks like it says "Ron Culp - NCAA Athletic Trainer" - What???

Who knows, this is the team that once retired Michael Jordan's #23, despite the fact he never played for the team. I think they just like to add more banners to make it look like the team has more history than it does.

• 4 months later...

They also have not one, but two 'LEED certified' banners.

I know the person who has the banners that hung in the Orange Bowl. When he found out that university was going to let them die with the building, he got permission to go in and take them down. They currently hang in his warehouse.

I know the Marlins were leaning towards having arena-style banners for the two championships and HOFers Dave Van Horne and Felo Ramirez at the new ballpark. There is talk that #5 may be unretired.

1997 | 2003

• 4 weeks later...

New Bruins banners (not including the one that will be raised on opening night, of course). The old ones had the 1995-2007 spoked B on all of them.

ihwd.jpg

The new 2011 Stanley Cup banner in the TD Garden rafters alongside the redone ones representing the 1970 & 1972 teams.

6225060066_08bcf28f9d_b.jpg

Classy banners on Boston's part.

I agree, very well done.

rupp-arena-banners.jpg

Those are ugly..... and they should make the Championship banners different from the final four and runner up banners.... a Championship is really special, and it's way better than being the runner up, give it a special banner.

New Bruins banners (not including the one that will be raised on opening night, of course). The old ones had the 1995-2007 spoked B on all of them.

ihwd.jpg

The new 2011 Stanley Cup banner in the TD Garden rafters alongside the redone ones representing the 1970 & 1972 teams.

6225060066_08bcf28f9d_b.jpg

Beautiful.

spacer.png

Sorry to use a blurry picture as an example, but recently Syracuse put this up because we love to shove this New York's College Team deal down everybody's throat

294892_10150277924882181_583637180_8349103_6878573_n.jpg

The problem?

1. This is the only bowl game to have a banner

2. This is more detailed than every other banner hanging up, including the 2003 Basketball Championship.

My fix? Either put up bowl banners for every bowl victory and/or re-do all the football/basketball championship logos. For the basketball banner, do it kinda like this style, maybe replacing the 20 S 10 with a 2003 and the basketball logo they used back then underneath that. Add on the 2003 Final Four logo like the Pinstripe Bowl banner. The 1959 football banner too can use something more stylized, too, maybe with the 59 helmet and of course the number 44 on it. The lacrosse banners can stay the same I think due to it being non-revenue and the fact that stylized championship weekend logos have only come around since the championships have been played in NFL Stadiums (which means only the 2004, 2008, and 2009 championships apply to logo treatment)

I'll try to do some concept for how I'd like Syracuse banners to be sometime in the near future

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

A few minor league rafter banners:

1. McMorran Arena in Port Huron

Here are the Silver Stick Tournament Banners that hang up in the east endzone:

SDC12670.jpg

Here are retired/honored numbers from the original Port Huron Flags:

FlagsNumbers.jpg

(These were retired by the Border Cats, Beacons, Flags II and Icehawks, but I believe are just honored numbers with the Fighting Falcons. I'd like to see banners for the Flags' 3 Turner Cups, but I'm glad they kept the numbers up.)

2. Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo

Championship Banners (2 Turner Cups, 1 Colonial Cup), affiliate banners, and various division/conference title banners in the corner.

KWingsBanners3.jpg

3. Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne

Retired Numbers and Turner Cup Banner:

KometsBanners.jpg

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Does anyone know if the Winnipeg Jets hung banners to honor players from Jets 1.0? I read they weren't retiring numbers (makes sense), but I was wondering if they were going to have a ring of honor or something a la St. Louis Rams (whose ring of honor honors old St. Louis Cardinals and Rams of any era).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38