2012 NFL week by week Uniform Match-ups thread

canzman

I am digging the Wolf Grey alternate uniform by the Seahawks today! I thought I would hate them, but they look really good on the field thanks to the green trim on the numbers.

Their shoes really add to the uniform as well. Looks amazing.

I agree.

The Seahawks unis have been a bit too mod for my taste, but I have to admit that today's greys look good.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting people ready for what I hope is a return of the Deacon Jones throwbacks?

Those '65-'71 throwbacks you're referring to should only be brought back IF they were to move back to Los Angeles ... IMO

Why?

Because to me they're a Los Angeles throwback uniform and have no association with St Louis who had the football Cardinals back then. That was a very special era in Los Angeles football history and for them to wear them while they're based in St Louis would be quite inappropriate in my opinion, sorry.

If they're the team to move (back) to LA, those uniforms would be a natural.

For some reason, the Rams' endzones simply have "St. Louis" in plain white letters rather than the usual official wordmark. Is this a leaguewide thing? Any other teams doing this?

Also they are outlined in blue. Blue and white.

Getting people ready for what I hope is a return of the Deacon Jones throwbacks?

Huh? No. The lettering is basic, not throwback, and shows no association with any previous era. It's just basic Impact-esque lettering.

It's got to be for a bowl game they are having there in the next few days. Instead of repainting the endzones for that game, they will just leave the "St. Louis" script. Either that, or they had a game in the last few days and didn't have time to repaint the field.

i was going to ask why the end-zones looked cheap today but someone beat me to it.

334naf8.jpg

I'm really digging the Seahawks look today. Looks really cool and clashes well with buffalo.

As for the team colors debate it really any a big deal or is it anything new. Texans fans all know that our colors are deep steel blue liberty white and battle red.

And is even referenced here.

The old oilers were known as luv ya blue.

It really is nothing to pout about. If your team calls their colors something then embrace them.

For some reason, the Rams' endzones simply have "St. Louis" in plain white letters rather than the usual official wordmark. Is this a leaguewide thing? Any other teams doing this?

Huh? No. The lettering is basic, not throwback, and shows no association with any previous era. It's just basic Impact-esque lettering.

It's got to be for a bowl game they are having there in the next few days. Instead of repainting the endzones for that game, they will just leave the "St. Louis" script. Either that, or they had a game in the last few days and didn't have time to repaint the field.

i was going to ask why the end-zones looked cheap today but someone beat me to it.

334naf8.jpg

there is no bowl games in st. louis. at first i thought high school playoffs or something but then i realized that they've been over for quite a while

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

i am guessing they changed the NFL uniform rules somewhat? considering the seahawks are wearing TECHNICALLY their alt and the jags are able to wear their black jerseys as home uniforms (unless they got special approval from the league?

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

i am guessing they changed the NFL uniform rules somewhat? considering the seahawks are wearing TECHNICALLY their alt and the jags are able to wear their black jerseys as home uniforms (unless they got special approval from the league?

Like the Patriots' silver alts, they're both too light to be considered dark colored jerseys to have the opponents in white, so they're basically considered as white alts.

Rhetorical question since I don't expect anyone to know the definitive answer, but the fact that the Hawks are treating their alts as away uniforms, does this imply that a team could make their standard away uniform a similarly light colored shirt (not white)?

As McCall stated, yes, it does, provided they're a light enough shade of a gray as these Seattle jerseys are. If they were darker like a platinum then it would not be considered an away jersey.

There's no rule stating whether a team has to wear their alternate or throwbacks at home or on the road. The 3rd jersey can only be worn twice per season, that's it. Since they just changed here in 2012 they cannot make that the permanent road jersey until 2017 unless the NFL modifies that rule or they got NFL approval.

334naf8.jpg

there is no bowl games in st. louis. at first i thought high school playoffs or something but then i realized that they've been over for quite a while

The only thing I can think of is they got new field turf and didn't have time to paint the intricate endzone logos, so the just went with basic lettering. It's a little unusual to replace field turf midseason, but I know it's happened at least once before (New England).

Does anyone realize that the Saints haven't worn their gold pants since week 3?! Now I'm one of the very few that actually likes the black pants, but I gotta ask: What's up with that?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Those gray unis seem to make the neon trim pop a little more than when against the white jersey.

The pants need some neon green. The symbols in the blue pants stripe should be neon green instead of grey. The TV numbers need neon green trim too.

I wanna say Gordon said they did that with the tv numbers for legibility reasons. But I have a theory that they would've omitted them but it's a league mandate? So they tried to make it blend with the shoulder graphics so to speak, instead of outlining them in neon green which would draw more attention to them. That's just my personal take on it. I coUld very well be way wrong though.

Rhetorical question since I don't expect anyone to know the definitive answer, but the fact that the Hawks are treating their alts as away uniforms, does this imply that a team could make their standard away uniform a similarly light colored shirt (not white)?

As McCall stated, yes, it does, provided they're a light enough shade of a gray as these Seattle jerseys are. If they were darker like a platinum then it would not be considered an away jersey.

There's no rule stating whether a team has to wear their alternate or throwbacks at home or on the road. The 3rd jersey can only be worn twice per season, that's it. Since they just changed here in 2012 they cannot make that the permanent road jersey until 2017 unless the NFL modifies that rule or they got NFL approval.

Once the alternates are worn, they cannot change for 5 years. They grey alternates will go away after the 5 years as the Seahawks have decided on throwback uniforms to be worn then. Wish they would wear the grey pants with the blue jerseys at home but as long as they are winning in the scuba blues at home, you will not see the grey pants.....

Once the alternates are worn, they cannot change for 5 years. They grey alternates will go away after the 5 years as the Seahawks have decided on throwback uniforms to be worn then. Wish they would wear the grey pants with the blue jerseys at home but as long as they are winning in the scuba blues at home, you will not see the grey pants.....

what about the jaguars wearing their black "alternates" as the home uniform now? thought you had to make that change in the offseason (Broncos couldnt wear orange full time last season) , also i thought you could only wear your alternates through a certain week (not in the last 3-4 weeks?)

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Since the Rams are rumored to get a new set soon, I was just thinking maybe this might be a test out to see how it would look. I was looking up what other events the EJD was hosting for the new end zone but couldn't figure it out.

what about the jaguars wearing their black "alternates" as the home uniform now? thought you had to make that change in the offseason (Broncos couldnt wear orange full time last season) , also i thought you could only wear your alternates through a certain week (not in the last 3-4 weeks?)

You are allowed to wear a certain jersey top that isnt a primary twice a year. But since the Jags made their black their primary this year, then the teal technically is their alt

Go A's!

Those gray unis seem to make the neon trim pop a little more than when against the white jersey.

The pants need some neon green. The symbols in the blue pants stripe should be neon green instead of grey. The TV numbers need neon green trim too.

Agreed

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I think what the Jags did was make their black the home and teal the alt without telling anyone until the week before they actually wore the black jerseys.

And I really like the Seahawks gray alts. It makes sense to have a light gray road uniform when the only white on their home uniforms is the outline around the helmet logo. I'm not sure if the NFL has a rule against wearing a colored road jersey the whole time. There might be one like in the NBA, but as far as I know, no NFL team has ever wanted to do it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Agreed

The pant stripe matches the jersey collar stripe, so therefore it should remain the way it is. But I do agree the pants need a touch of green somewhere. Possibly the Swoosh symbol just like it is on the jersey sleeve.

The Bears wore the same midnight blue throwbacks with the orange stripes, orange jersey numbers and nobs in 2010 as they wore today against Green Bay. Last season in 2011 they wore their orange alternates.

Try explaining that then ??

Archived