Photo

Broncos written in Browns endzone... in Browns font. (1986-87)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mediocreguy

mediocreguy

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:19

I was watching the old 1986 AFC Championship game yesterday, and I don't know how I missed it before, but the Broncos, when playing in Cleveland, were given an endzone complete with the word Broncos written in the Browns font. Not only that, but they made a makeshift Broncos helmet (with the D logo minus the horse). I'd love to see this kind of stuff nowadays, though I'm sure it'll never happen outside of a Super Bowl.

Anyway, here's a blog post someone did with pictures. http://theaxisofego....n-anytime-soon/

And here's some visual evidence:
Posted Image

#2 omnivore

omnivore
  • 2012 NCFA-FCS National Champions

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:28

Interesting
Posted Image
NCFA-FCS: Minnesota A&M Redhorse
2012 National Champions, 2012 Big 4 Conference Champions
SLOP: (OOTP) St. Louis Aviators
FOFC-FBCB: St. John's Red Storm

#3 MJWalker45

MJWalker45
  • Grand Pooba of Walksylvania

• Members
  • 5,736 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:32

Funny thing is, I watched that game live and still never noticed it until years later. I remember the AFC playoffs between Kansas City and Miami had both teams helmets at midfield. I think this was the only time Cleveland did it but it has a precedent.

waccasigline2.png

3c4ecd2b-dfcc-497c-9b3c-a024d5dc7876_zps

#4 illwauk

illwauk
  • "Hey, up yours Springfield!"

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 13:08

This actually used to be a lot more common and usually happened for big games. Back in 1983, the Packers had a pair of green and gold helmets in each endzone, but for the famous Monday Night game against Washington, the helmets in one endzone were re-painted burgundy and gold.

I also remember seeing a Monday Night game between the Packers and Jets from County Stadium where each team had a SMALL (presumably because the Brewers didn't want any more paint than necessary on their field) wordmark in one of the endzones.

uwm_banners_zpsbf8ee4c3.png

#5 VandyDelphia Mike

VandyDelphia Mike
  • 11 years of nerding out to sports logos!

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

• Favourite Logos:70s/80s Phillies
      Swingin' Friar
      retro Tulane
      80s Milwaukee Bucks
      Detroit Tigers D
      UNC Tarred Heel

Posted January 12, 2013 - 13:47

Has this happened for a non-Super Bowl since the Saints home game in Giants Stadium?

Posted Image

#6 cmm

cmm

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 14:09

Has this happened for a non-Super Bowl since the Saints home game in Giants Stadium?

Do the London games count? The Giants-Dolphins game had "Dolphins" in both end zones, but they now put both teams in an end zone. Here's the field for Broncos-49ers; each team had an endzone but only 49ers logos were painted at the 25s.

Posted Image

#7 mjmatias

mjmatias

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 14:44

The Kansas City Chiefs used to place their helmet and the opposing teams helmet in midfield during the early '70's, before they moved to Arrowhead stadium.
You could check out anytime you like, but you could never leave.

#8 kajeet

kajeet
  • BASED.

• Members
  • 558 posts

• Favourite Logos:NFL:Original Ravens and Seahawks,New York Giants script logo,Houston Oilers MLB:Cartoon Oriole

Posted January 13, 2013 - 15:17

That would be cool if they did that now, but Emperor Goodell would NEVER let that happen.

#9 the admiral

the admiral
  • Empty calories, empty posts

• Members
  • 19,591 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 16:38

It's mostly off topic, but does anyone know the name of the typeface for the Broncos' old wordmark? I have a lookalike called Casil, but it has another, more famous name, and it's slipping my mind.

Posted Image

I like it, certainly more than the Browns' Optima, which never fit right to me.
The females in the establishment start admiring Dirty for his assets, which just causes Dirty to return to the situation at hand: his money. He asks for the females' assistance in rectifying the situation, and subsequently asks them to expose their nether regions. Dirty finishes off the song with some nonsensical lyrics, that clearly imply his rising anger for the missing money.

#10 Raymie

Raymie

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 18:51

Perhaps that's a condensed version of Clarendon?

Chief Contributor, Arizona High School Helmet Project

Proud to be part of the most comprehensive high school helmet resource in the country.

New in 2013: Apache Junction - Cesar Chavez - Glendale Union - Paradise Honors

apachejunction13.jpgcesarchavez13.jpgglendale13.jpgparadisehonors13.jpg

#11 Cujo

Cujo
  • Sources.

• Members
  • 17,988 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 19:37

This was also done during the 1985 AFC title game at the Orange Bowl between the Dolphins and Patriots. Needless to say, the road team also won this one.

Skip to 5:47

abq_sig_red.png

cujo_twitter.png

#12 Burning River

Burning River

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 21:27

I forgot all about this too! I remember being mad that the year that Denver hosted Cleveland, both end zones were the same DENVER in one BRONCOS in the other (I think... or both were (BRONCOS). I thought Denver refused to do it or something. hated them even more! By then, I'm sure that the NFL Changed it. Did the NFC ever do it? For the Seahawks at LA Raiders in the 1983 AFC Championship...the Seahawks had a blue end-zone at the LA Coliseum.

#13 ltjets21

ltjets21

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 22:38

In the Documentary namath you can see when the Jets hosted the 49ers they put a small 49ers script in one endzone, as well as the sourdough sam logo.
Posted Image

#14 dbadefense1990

dbadefense1990
  • I'm dead, inside and out. I'm just dead.

• Members
  • 3,788 posts

• Favourite Logos:All NBA Playoffs and Finals logos, late 1980s-early 2000s.

Posted January 13, 2013 - 23:26

I forgot all about this too! I remember being mad that the year that Denver hosted Cleveland, both end zones were the same DENVER in one BRONCOS in the other (I think... or both were (BRONCOS). I thought Denver refused to do it or something. hated them even more! By then, I'm sure that the NFL Changed it. Did the NFC ever do it? For the Seahawks at LA Raiders in the 1983 AFC Championship...the Seahawks had a blue end-zone at the LA Coliseum.

Maybe this was the drive of creating unique AFC/NFC Championship Game logos, starting in the late 1990s. Maybe the rationale was that the match was a championship game of some sort in the NFL, hence the need to have both participants' names on the end zones. But the location of the title game gave the home team the option of stylizing the names.

#15 Raymie

Raymie

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:40

Maybe this was the drive of creating unique AFC/NFC Championship Game logos, starting in the late 1990s. Maybe the rationale was that the match was a championship game of some sort in the NFL, hence the need to have both participants' names on the end zones. But the location of the title game gave the home team the option of stylizing the names.

Consider though that the NFL made logos for everything starting in the second half of the 1990s — divisional playoffs, Wild Card, kickoff weekend, probably the draft... Plus NBC, CBS and Fox all used them in the opens for their respective games.

Chief Contributor, Arizona High School Helmet Project

Proud to be part of the most comprehensive high school helmet resource in the country.

New in 2013: Apache Junction - Cesar Chavez - Glendale Union - Paradise Honors

apachejunction13.jpgcesarchavez13.jpgglendale13.jpgparadisehonors13.jpg

#16 the admiral

the admiral
  • Empty calories, empty posts

• Members
  • 19,591 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:16

Perhaps that's a condensed version of Clarendon?

Yeah, could be in the Clarendon family. A few things look a little different (numbers, mostly) but I can see the similarities.
The females in the establishment start admiring Dirty for his assets, which just causes Dirty to return to the situation at hand: his money. He asks for the females' assistance in rectifying the situation, and subsequently asks them to expose their nether regions. Dirty finishes off the song with some nonsensical lyrics, that clearly imply his rising anger for the missing money.

#17 illwauk

illwauk
  • "Hey, up yours Springfield!"

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 18:11

Just found this... skip to 1:30 to see a set of solid red helmets for the Cardinals. I'm guessing the white outlines had something to do with why they didn't make the helmets white instead.

uwm_banners_zpsbf8ee4c3.png

#18 browna

browna

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 04:31

This was also done during the 1985 AFC title game at the Orange Bowl between the Dolphins and Patriots. Needless to say, the road team also won this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VszkxeTr8

That painting of New England's endzone is atrocious. Different size fonts (the T, and the S) and spacing? I am guessing they cheaped out and kept some of the letters from a prior game, to spell Patriots.
Edit: The Dolphins hosted the Browns the week before in the Orange Bowl, and prior to that, it was probably the Orange Bowl Game, Penn State vs Oklahoma. So no idea where the big "T"'s came from (dig up, stupid (Simpson's reference) or the lonely "s" at the end.

#19 dfwabel

dfwabel

• Members
  • 10,093 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 11:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VszkxeTr8

That painting of New England's endzone is atrocious. Different size fonts (the T, and the S) and spacing? I am guessing they cheaped out and kept some of the letters from a prior game, to spell Patriots.
Edit: The Dolphins hosted the Browns the week before in the Orange Bowl, and prior to that, it was probably the Orange Bowl Game, Penn State vs Oklahoma. So no idea where the big "T"'s came from (dig up, stupid (Simpson's reference) or the lonely "s" at the end.

The Orange Bowl game did not have team names in the endzones until later in the 1989 game. Since the endzones just said, "Orange Bowl", they were most likely using part of the "B" for a "P", flipping the letter "E" for one and using the "I" twice.

#20 mjrbaseball

mjrbaseball
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 21:24

To me, the letters in PATRIOTS appear to be hand-painted, without using a stencil or any guidelines.
Posted Image