MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

I think that logo in general is bad. But regardless, if they wanted to slap that logo on the chest for one of their minor league teams, that would be fine. It's not befitting of being featured on the chest of a jersey for a franchise that's been playing for over 120 years and is somehow considered storied. Even as an alternate jersey, it's beneath them (before considering that they might wear the alternates 100 times in a given year). Likewise, even if they had a good alternate logo (and I like the two previous ones to degrees), I don't think they could carry a jersey. They have a primary logo which is iconic. There's nothing wrong with using that. I am a huge fan of the White Sox' halfway-retired diamond sock logo, but I wouldn't want that appearing on the chest of an alternate jersey, either.

I signed up for this site 15 years ago just to say this Cubs post is spot on... I just didn't know it at the time.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I signed up to say a couple things.

-A long winded, idiotic tangent ensuses-

To quote the late, great Dave Niehaus, “My oh my!”

This rediculous rant of your's was completely unnecessary. First of all, the Cubs grey alt obviously has issues that need to be addressed. Second of all, I quite enjoy Old Roman as a poster on these boards. He is far from the most biased person here (in order to see bias, look at yourself in the mirror). Third of all, nobody's comparing the White Sox and the Cubs, except for you of course. Listen, pal, as a diehard Detroit Tigers fan, I strongly despise the White Sox. My dislike of the franchise is only matched by my dislike of LeBron James, “THE” Ohio State Buckeyes, the Chicago Blackhawks, and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Still, even I found the figurative :censored: you took on the White Sox franchise to be uncalled for and delusional. Sure the White Sox are remembererd for the Black Sox scandal, in the same way your beloved Cubs are known as perennial cellar-dwellers. Though the White Sox had that blemish on their history, they've also had many great moments and players to remember (Minnie Minoso, Harold Baines, Frank Thomas, and Paul Konerko, to name a few greats). My point is, if you're going to make a rant like this, at least do some research, and try to look from others' point of vie if you're going to do so.

TL;DR - The Cubs alt. clearly needs some fixin'. Both the Cubs and the White Sox are respectable baseball teams.

/rant

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Which company is it that makes the heathered gray poly uniforms? Is it UA? Not all gray uniforms would look good with that textrure, but that one certainly would. It'd be great if Majestic could reproduce it like that other company did.

Pretty sure Majestic has rolled out their version on that printed fabric.

The Marlins used it for their 1956 throwbacks, but I'm not sure who made those.

450x600.jpg

Beautiful.

This is good:

Anthony-Rizzo-Starlin-Castro-Chicago-Cub

This is not....by a country mile:

cropped_Cubs_New_Road_Alts.jpg?ts=139707

And if they insist of using an alt, use these beauties:

76849a_lg.jpeg

I agree on two of these and two out of three ain't bad.

. . . the first two, in case that isn't clear.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yes. That was a great road jersey and by far the best they've looked on the road. Plus, it has the stupid neck piping that's been so trendy the last fifteen years. Honestly, they should bring that back with names on the back, and maybe a different sleeve patch (although I really like that patch). I think they wore this for the better part of the '60s. For some reason, several teams with classic home jerseys felt the need to jump around more in terms of road looks, and that's a shame. If the Tigers just removed the white outlines from the current roads, they would be perfect for eternity. Those Cubs roads could be an iconic look. Take the sleeve patch off the Dodgers' "Los Angeles" roads and that's ironic. The Red Sox are less clear as they've never looked great on the road, IMO. I'd prefer if they went to a neck spoon like on the home jerseys. There's no reason these teams can't settle on a road look and make it iconic over time.

Which company is it that makes the heathered gray poly uniforms? Is it UA? Not all gray uniforms would look good with that textrure, but that one certainly would. It'd be great if Majestic could reproduce it like that other company did.

featured2.jpg

Yes, Under Armour made a wool pattern for some college teams. Here is is for Maryland basketball. I think they used it for some baseball teams, too, but I don't know which team. To my knowledge, Majestic hasn't made such a pattern.

And I agree. Not all road jerseys should have that pattern, but there are several which would really benefit from it. For instance, the Dodgers' road jerseys have looked bland to me since they removed the white outlines. I think a wool pattern would really improve their look.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I signed up to say a couple things.

First of all, the Cubs haven't worn their alternates at home since I believe 2009. So please get your facts together people.

Second of all, you White Sux bias is really showing Roman. First off, I'm not a fan of their grey alt, but how on earth is it anywhere near among the worst in sports? Because there's a bit of space between the wordmark? Honestly I'm not huge on the wordmark, or the numbers, but everything else about the uniform is great.

Also what's wrong with their alt logo? It's a bear in a C, what's wrong with that? It's far less cartoony than their other bear logos, and I feel with it's pose it fits well with the C. How about giving a reason?

Third of all, "somehow considered historic"? Yeah, who would ever think the second winning team in baseball, along with being the oldest American pro sports team and playing at arguably the most iconic stadium in sports would be considered iconic. Clearly a team playing at Corporate Sellout Park (which they only got from kick and screaming that they'd move to Tampa) with the fewest playoff appearances and whom's most well known moment was when they almost killed the league by losing on purpose is soooo historic.

rack him, he's out

Out of all of this, the part that got under my skin the most was "oldest American pro sports team". They aren't (according to MLB), but hey, he was on a roll.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

There's not a single thing they could do to make the road alt un-terrible.

1) It's horribly pointless.

2) It uses the team name on the road, rather than the city name as is customary.

3) It utilizes the same colors in the same spots, thus continuing the Cubs' silly aversion to blue outlined in red on the road jerseys.

4) It looks completely unlike anything they've ever worn.

5) It eschews the Cubs' long-standing proprietary number font for some awful condensed block font, then makes the numbers so small on the front that it looks like a realistic video game that messed up number rendering.

It looks awful and was a half-assed cash grab, jumping on the "road alt" train with a fake nod to history rather than coming out with a second blue alt or even a red one. It's basically their regular road jersey, with just enough changed so that some people will still buy it. Chicago changed to Cubs. Custom font changed to block. Piping added. It is one of the worst baseball jerseys ever because it's bad on its own merit, it doesn't fix the problems with the current road jersey, it looks unlike the franchise has ever looked, and it's completely pointless.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Now why is now that the Giants only have player name on the away jerseys ?

That used to be more common. The Twins did it until the mid-90s.

In theory, home fans know their players but not the players on the opposing team. At least I think that's why that used to be a fairly common practice.

Thanks for the explanation, :)

.then it´s just strange that some teams take em´off and put them back on randomly, Giants did afterall have names on homes in the 90´s

2) It uses the team name on the road, rather than the city name as is customary.

3) It utilizes the same colors in the same spots, thus continuing the Cubs' silly aversion to blue outlined in red on the road jerseys.

5) It eschews the Cubs' long-standing proprietary number font for some awful condensed block font, then makes the numbers so small on the front that it looks like a realistic video game that messed up number rendering.

It looks awful and was a half-assed cash grab, jumping on the "road alt" train with a fake nod to history rather than coming out with a second blue alt or even a red one. It's basically their regular road jersey, with just enough changed so that some people will still buy it. Chicago changed to Cubs. Custom font changed to block. Piping added. It is one of the worst baseball jerseys ever because it's bad on its own merit, it doesn't fix the problems with the current road jersey, it looks unlike the franchise has ever looked, and it's completely pointless.

stop showing your clear White Sox bias!

PvO6ZWJ.png

stop showing your clear White Sox bias!

I bet he DVR's Sox games with Fishplatter.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

That Cubs woedmark screams Cuba to me. Same colors as that country too.

Quick Cubs thought since we've been debating them, what are you guys thoughts on the red billed road cap they wore a few years ago? I don't think they're better than the home all blue cap but I thought they were pretty good and looked fine on the road jerseys.

That Cubs woedmark screams Cuba to me. Same colors as that country too.

Quick Cubs thought since we've been debating them, what are you guys thoughts on the red billed road cap they wore a few years ago? I don't think they're better than the home all blue cap but I thought they were pretty good and looked fine on the road jerseys.

Looks decent on it's own but it is as needed as a Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers road cap...

Archived