MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The camo has made today's MLB games unwatchable for me. I turned on Royals at Yankees looking forward to seeing two classic uniforms on display, realized it was gimmick day, and immediately switched to something else. Declined to watch Braves at Dodgers for the same reason. My rooting interest in MLB is all but gone, so what little I do watch is to see the classic uniform matchups, of which there were none today.

I'd tolerate it if each team picked their own camouflage, using desert MARPAT for everyone is silly.

The Mariners for instance should have used NWU since it matches their theme and Seattle has a couple of Navy bases. But hey, laziness wins again.

I never thought I'd sasy this, but I wish every team had gone with a dark colored alternate jersey, like Milwaukee did. The camo pattern looked bad on the home white jerseys, and was completely unreadable on the road grays. Ideally, scrap the whole thing and slap a flag patch on the caps if you must do something, but since they seem so deadset on forcing camo on the jerseys, go for a dark alt.

From a purely aesthetic, non-sports standpoint, the Rays' navy cap contrasted nicely with the digital camo pattern bill, as did lots of the other darker color caps, but for the jerseys, there were very few that looked like anything other than complete garbage.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

It's marketing.. Plain and simple.. It's gotta get onto the field to drive merch sales, and it's gotta be different enough from the ordinary to justify the purchase.. Ideally, if they had to put camo on things, they'd find a way to keep it limited to outlines, small areas, etc, but that wouldn't look all that different from the jersey already hanging in the closet, so they have to make it drastically different to help encourage those struggling to pull the trigger to bite the bullet and buy the jersey, because, "hey I don't have one like that yet"..

We can argue about what they should do and what looks better all day, but until our opinions start generating millions of dollars for them, they'd probably be happy to tell us what to do with ourselves and where we can shove our opinions.. Unfortunately

Here is Kansas City and New York in their Memorial Day uniforms.

KC_mem2015.png

NYY_mem2015.png

Remember when George Steinbrenner refused to let the Yankees wear "Turn Ahead the Clock" uniforms because "they already were?"

Wish he'd been right. The cap has been abused since his retirement... white bill, gray bill, all the Stars & Stripes... wish one team could still stand out from the merchandising-masked-as-patriotism nonsense.

And for those saying the camo is hard to read... it's camo.

Remember when George Steinbrenner refused to let the Yankees wear "Turn Ahead the Clock" uniforms because "they already were?"

Wish he'd been right. The cap has been abused since his retirement... white bill, gray bill, all the Stars & Stripes... wish one team could still stand out from the merchandising-masked-as-patriotism nonsense.

The Yankees have done as little as they could get away with. They don't have a standard alt. They have one cap.

Nobody is backing out on Memorial Day and Independence Day uniforms. Even if MLB would allow it (I have no idea whether a team could abstain), the fan backlash would not be worth it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

after seeing teams today in their special camo unis, MLB could at least have all the teams wear solid color tops. They teams wearing white and grey looked like total poop. No comment on the caps. :puke:

Everything looked like poop, everything including the Royals pitching.

Seriously, if they want to observe Memorial Day, just add a freaking American flag to the caps or have players select their desired branch of the military and put that logo on their uniform:

US-Military-logos-all-branches.png

hey, I'm with you, I'd rather they went with your idea. I just wanted something that doesn't look like it was a regular uni that was sharted upon.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

KC_mem2015.png

NYY_mem2015.png

The Yankees have done as little as they could get away with. They don't have a standard alt. They have one cap.

Nobody is backing out on Memorial Day and Independence Day uniforms. Even if MLB would allow it (I have no idea whether a team could abstain), the fan backlash would not be worth it.

What fan backlash? Yankees fans? I seriously doubt there would be fan backlash - if anything, I'd assume that most of their fans hate that they do this stuff like all the other teams.

If you mean just general baseball fans elsewhere in the country, then there might be some "the yankees hate our military!" but I think they get a pass because they're the Yankees and their "thing" is (or at least was) not messing with their uniform. It would prove the point that once people start wearing flag lapel pins, anyone who doesn't is looked at as unpatriotic, which is a shame. There's plenty of ways to show support than by wearing a pin, patch, camo, etc.

If "memorial day" is to honor soldiers who lost their lives, why not wear black armbands as a tribute, or a simple patch or something - I have absolutely no idea how camo counts as a tribute.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the Yankees could have gotten away without this:

And some of the celebration/memorial patches have gone overkill as well.

I did not know about that. Was there a special occasion for this?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Yankees-White-BP-Cap-2013-Alex-Rodriguez

Was this an exhibition game right before the season opener?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yankees-White-BP-Cap-2013-Alex-Rodriguez

Was this an exhibition game right before the season opener?

Regular season game. No reason other than New Era getting free pub on their DE caps

Go A's!

Well then I retract my statement that the Yanks have done as little as possible. They should not be wearing a white-brimmed BP cap. But for Stars/Stripes, they have no choice.

POTD (Shared)

Archived