MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4th of July should be a day when baseball teams look their best, i.e., not wearing this Walmart crap.

I also think the Cubs should always play the White Sox over the 4th of July week/weekend (and Memorial Day weekend), but our local so-called experts tell me that crosstown baseball isn't A T**** anymore and should just be played whenthehellever.

Agreed. I have never liked interleague play, although I know I'm probably in the minority. My idea was that interleague would be scrapped, but each team would play their opposite league rival in a series on Memorial Day weekend, and July 4th weekend. For example, the Cards/Royals, Mets/Yankees, Sox/Cubs, Reds/Indians, etc would each play a series at home and on the road against each other, with the weekends alternating every year. Cardinals would get the July 4 weekend at home this year, and the Royals would get it next year as an example. The only hitch would be that not every team has a natural rival in the opposite league, but I'm sure that could be worked around...Seattle and San Diego could start a new yearly rivalry or something.

You're going to run into much bigger problems than just SD vs. Seattle. At least those two are on the same time zone, same coast, and same country.

You'll have to figure out the "best" way to force interleague rivalries among BOS, TOR, HOU, TEX, COL, AZ, ATL, and PHI. Have fun.

The 4th of July should be a day when baseball teams look their best, i.e., not wearing this Walmart crap.

I also think the Cubs should always play the White Sox over the 4th of July week/weekend (and Memorial Day weekend), but our local so-called experts tell me that crosstown baseball isn't A T**** anymore and should just be played whenthehellever.

Agreed. I have never liked interleague play, although I know I'm probably in the minority. My idea was that interleague would be scrapped, but each team would play their opposite league rival in a series on Memorial Day weekend, and July 4th weekend. For example, the Cards/Royals, Mets/Yankees, Sox/Cubs, Reds/Indians, etc would each play a series at home and on the road against each other, with the weekends alternating every year. Cardinals would get the July 4 weekend at home this year, and the Royals would get it next year as an example. The only hitch would be that not every team has a natural rival in the opposite league, but I'm sure that could be worked around...Seattle and San Diego could start a new yearly rivalry or something.

You're going to run into much bigger problems than just SD vs. Seattle. At least those two are on the same time zone, same coast, and same country.

You'll have to figure out the "best" way to force interleague rivalries among BOS, TOR, HOU, TEX, COL, AZ, ATL, and PHI. Have fun.

So 4 out of 15 games won't feature a natural or sensical rivalry. I wouldn't call that a "much bigger problem." I'd say that's pretty good.

So 4 out of 15 games won't feature a natural or sensical rivalry. I wouldn't call that a "much bigger problem." I'd say that's pretty good.
Philly and Boston already make sense.

Atl and Toronto because time zone, and isn't too bad of a stretch.

Astros and Rockies used to be in the same division.

And that leaves Texas and dab is as making no sense, but that isn't too bad for just one team

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

After taking a day to process this, it seems MLB will finally reach the pinnacle of its red and blue obsession. Every team and every game will be dominated by a shade of red and blue.

And really, shouldn't it stay that way? Every day a team chooses not to wear this uniform option from here on out is a day they are telling their fans that they hate America. :)

I vote for "My Country Tis of Thee" for the 4th inning stretch. No American should have to wait 7 innings between patriotic songs at a baseball game.

This was so much easier/better before the Astros left the NL. The Lone Star Series was one of the easiest ones to market. I have given thought, though, to having set interleague series marketed with names and logos and such. This is what I came up with trying to repackage it with the Astros move:

Yankees-Mets: Subway Series

Red Sox-Braves: American Heritage Cup (based on their sharing a birthplace)

Blue Jays-Phillies: Carter Cup

Rays-Marlins: Citrus Series

Orioles-Nationals: Beltway Brawl (Although Balt-Wash Brawl would be more accurate.

White Sox-Cubs: Crosstown Classic

Indians-Reds: Ohio Cup

Tigers-Pirates: Erie Series

Royals-Cardinals: Show Me Series

Twins-Brewers: Cup of the North

Angels-Dodgers: Freeway Series

Athletics-Giants: Bay Bridge Series

Mariners-Rockies: Mountain Match

Rangers-Diamondbacks: Southwest Series

Astros-Padres: Caminiti Cup (It's all I've got. XD)

I've heard pushing for the Mariners-Padres to have the Vedder Cup. Before the Astros moved, I liked the idea of the last two teams that I couldn't reconcile having the "Leftover Series", self-deprecatingly accepting the issue and having a lot of fun with it.

Don't say that so loud - it's bad enough they're still doing "God Bless America", I don't think they have any sense of shame left.

Ugh. Don't get me started. It's been an uncomfortable 14 years, although I've gotten used to just sitting through it. Nobody says anything.

What sucks is that when I went to Citi Field, I'd forgotten that there were places where you could just enjoy the seventh inning stretch, but last season THE METS STARTED DOING IT TOO!!! At least I get to get my dance on to Lazy Mary. I miss back when Cotton Eyed Joe was the seventh inning song, although I'm extremely glad to hear it back full time in the eighth.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was so much easier/better before the Astros left the NL. The Lone Star Series was one of the easiest ones to market. I have given thought, though, to having set interleague series marketed with names and logos and such. This is what I came up with trying to repackage it with the Astros move:

Orioles-Nationals: Beltway Brawl (Although Balt-Wash Brawl would be more accurate.

Shouldn't be too hard to re-establish a now-interleague rivalry between a former NL Central team (Astros) versus the Cardinals. Just 10 years ago, they locked horns a few times in the NLCS, in addition to battling for the division. And IIRC the Astros current GM also comes from the Cards organization. Just call it the "Central Series"

You could also do a "Selig Switch League" rivalry between the Astros & Brewers, the only 2 franchises to switch leagues, not to mention being former foes in the NL Central.

Another route could be an Expansion Rivalry with their '62 siblings, The Mets. First NL expansion teams ever.

NYCdog.png

I'm trying to decide which to wear the ballpark July 4...

OppoSuits-Catalogue_Seite_04_Bild_0008.j3ce2e5530ddd07e23834068468bedb40.jpg

Definitely the one on the left ... I miss the sight of folks dressing up for baseball games.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I've heard pushing for the Mariners-Padres to have the Vedder Cup. Before the Astros moved, I liked the idea of the last two teams that I couldn't reconcile having the "Leftover Series", self-deprecatingly accepting the issue and having a lot of fun with it.

The Mariners-Padres already have their own "rivalry" of some sorts and the fans have a lot of fun with it, even though if it's pointless. I would the Astros/Rangers-Dbacks/Rockies rivalry a thing though.

Don't say that so loud - it's bad enough they're still doing "God Bless America", I don't think they have any sense of shame left.

Ugh. Don't get me started. It's been an uncomfortable 14 years, although I've gotten used to just sitting through it. Nobody says anything.

What sucks is that when I went to Citi Field, I'd forgotten that there were places where you could just enjoy the seventh inning stretch, but last season THE METS STARTED DOING IT TOO!!! At least I get to get my dance on to Lazy Mary. I miss back when Cotton Eyed Joe was the seventh inning song, although I'm extremely glad to hear it back full time in the eighth.

The Mets only do it on Sundays and 'MERICA days where they break out the stars and stripes crapola.

I either remain seated or go pee if I feel the need. I've only gotten good-natured ribbing from friends, who usually call me communist. I tell them that stopping a sporting event to sing about how great the country is would be something they'd do in North Korea. SO THEY ARE BEING THE COMMUNISTS. Checkmate!

The Mets only do it on Sundays and 'MERICA days where they break out the stars and stripes crapola.

I either remain seated or go pee if I feel the need. I've only gotten good-natured ribbing from friends, who usually call me communist. I tell them that stopping a sporting event to sing about how great the country is would be something they'd do in North Korea. SO THEY ARE BEING THE COMMUNISTS. Checkmate!

This is nothing like North Korea. Maybe it would be if they had tanks drive onto the field or something. Actually, I'd love to see that anyways, especially if it's a star player on the team in the tank, and he's waving to all the fans and firing live rounds into the sky.

All kidding aside, it's not like we're all being forced to worship the country or something. It's not like the the 7th Inning stretch is a mandatory thing for the audience or anything.

bSLCtu2.png

Didn't the Yankees kick someone out for getting up to use the bathroom during the National Anthem?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Ahh... That's why. My uncle had a Sunday package last year, so we went Sundays. Glad to hear the rest of the time there's just a pure 7th inning stretch.

I strategically left my seat with 2 out in the top of the 7th when I went to Yankee Stadium last year. I'm ok with it being performed on special occasions, but holy :censored:, doing it every single game like the Yanks do is just plain ridiculous.

That's my usual move. Sucks, though, when there's a two-out rally by the other team. That last out alwaaaays seems to drag on. One game the opposing team tied the game with four runs in the top of the seventh and my cousin blamed me for jinxing the team by not being in my seat. Usually, if I leave the concourse after the first verse or two of the song, I can get to my seat just as it's ending and be standing for "Take Me Out To the Ballgame".

Lately, though, as I've had more problems moving, I've just said screw it any stayed in my seat the whole time.

This is nothing like North Korea. Maybe it would be if they had tanks drive onto the field or something. Actually, I'd love to see that anyways, especially if it's a star player on the team in the tank, and he's waving to all the fans and firing live rounds into the sky.

All kidding aside, it's not like we're all being forced to worship the country or something. It's not like the the 7th Inning stretch is a mandatory thing for the audience or anything.

Although the whole thing's rather uncomfortable, and they really lean into making you look bad for sitting at the Yankees games by asking people to stand "for a moment of solemn prayer for those stationed at home and abroad", I wouldn't mind seeing the Fighting Dukaki roll around the warning track.

FuturamaDukaki2.jpg

Didn't the Yankees kick someone out for getting up to use the bathroom during the National Anthem?

In 2008 before moving to the new Stadium, a Red Sox fan tried to go to the bathroom during "God Bless America", moving through the cramped upper deck seating before a police officer stopped him and told him to wait. When he insisted, he was forcefully ejected by two officers. The police claim that the story was false and he was acting drunk and disorderly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

SI.com article about Bryce Harper filming a commercial for New Era for the ASG

There's a video and a photo, but I don't think the hats worn in those are actually the ASG hats.

A bit of note to me:

Be sure to watch the video above for a little BTS action from the New Era All-Star commercial shoot, and keep an eye out for the limited edition gear, available for purchase online and at participating retailers on Thursday, June 25th!

So 6/25 the hats may be available. I'm sure we'll see them before that.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

Archived