MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Yes, the White Sox memorial patches the last few years have been small black diamonds with a silver outline, white numbers (or letters). I know it's easier to just cut numbers out of twill. My point was more that the Yankees were able to get 45+ jersey done in less than 24 hours but it took the Sox two weeks to get patches on the jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the image posted on Instagram this morning. https://instagram.com/p/7-v8M1qH38/

They've never before done only the number. Could they be going with an easier option for today since it was so sudden, or would they have plenty of time to put the band on as well? I suppose it could also be an issue of the band not looking well with the thick stripes on the cuffs, but that never stopped them before.

I was very upset when they did Franchise Four that Yogi wasn't even included among the list of nominations for "greatest living players". I wrote him in, but it didn't matter.

It's a sad day for the sport. I expect to see a monument next year. He's one of the two players who don't have one that should, and the other's still alive.

99.png

When Joe DiMaggio died in 1999, the Yankees played most of the year with just the "5" patch. When catfish Hunter died later in the season they added the armband too. The only other similar situation was in 2010; in the span of one week they had a patch for Bob Sheppard and George Steinbrenner and a couple days later had to add an armband for Ralph Houk.

Yes, the White Sox memorial patches the last few years have been small black diamonds with a silver outline, white numbers (or letters). I know it's easier to just cut numbers out of twill. My point was more that the Yankees were able to get 45+ jersey done in less than 24 hours but it took the Sox two weeks to get patches on the jerseys.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair, especially on the road (even thought it's only Toronto).

Here's the image posted on Instagram this morning. https://instagram.com/p/7-v8M1qH38/

They've never before done only the number. Could they be going with an easier option for today since it was so sudden, or would they have plenty of time to put the band on as well? I suppose it could also be an issue of the band not looking well with the thick stripes on the cuffs, but that never stopped them before.

I was very upset when they did Franchise Four that Yogi wasn't even included among the list of nominations for "greatest living players". I wrote him in, but it didn't matter.

It's a sad day for the sport. I expect to see a monument next year. He's one of the two players who don't have one that should, and the other's still alive.

99.png

When Joe DiMaggio died in 1999, the Yankees played most of the year with just the "5" patch. When catfish Hunter died later in the season they added the armband too. The only other similar situation was in 2010; in the span of one week they had a patch for Bob Sheppard and George Steinbrenner and a couple days later had to add an armband for Ralph Houk.

^ That's number and band. The OP mentioned that.

Nah, man, he's right. The picture on the left is the road jersey and that's just the sleeve stripes. I suppose I'd always associated the two together since all the highlights show both. I mean, they did do both for Mantle and Rizzuto definitely, and the main site shows all the memorial patches and bands together. Probably the same misconception I had.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The White Sox have had a memorial patch for Minnie Minoso all season. After Billy Pierce died last month, it took them close to two weeks to get patches made for him (a black diamond with a 19 in it). If it really took them two weeks to make the patches, they could have even done an interim half-assing of adding the Minoso "9" patches a 1 stitched on them, but no. And here the Yankees are getting it done less than 24 hours later. Of course, the Yankees are expecting a long October run, and the White Sox folded up the tents immediately after the trade deadline, so maybe nobody gave enough of a :censored: to do anything about it.

It's a lot easier for the Yankees in this respect. They've already had a history when their greatest of the great are lost to featuring a very simple memorial. The memorial patches other teams are more complex. Is this the memorial patch that had the silver trim inset from the edges? I can't remember if they also used a plain diamond with white number or if that was another team. When you update all the teams they tend to run together.

I wonder if anyone remembers how long it took the Yankees to add the more complex patches for Steinbrenner and Sheppard.

The timing was a bit weird, as it was right before the ASG. The participants wore the black armband, then donned the patches when they came home a few days later. They didn't have the armband for a few days, until Ralph Houk died, which is when it was added.

8716824-large.jpg

Yeah, I suppose that's fair, especially on the road (even thought it's only Toronto).

99.png

^ That's number and band. The OP mentioned that.

Nah, man, he's right. The picture on the left is the road jersey and that's just the sleeve stripes. I suppose I'd always associated the two together since all the highlights show both. I mean, they did do both for Mantle and Rizzuto definitely, and the main site shows all the memorial patches and bands together. Probably the same misconception I had.

Not sure about with Mantle, but with Rizzuto, the arm band was already being worn for Cory Lidle, who was killed in a plane crash after the 2006 season. The 10 was added later.

Anubis.png

Not sure about with Mantle, but with Rizzuto, the arm band was already being worn for Cory Lidle, who was killed in a plane crash after the 2006 season. The 10 was added later.

Huh. That's wild. Have they really just always had multiple losses when they've done the number patch for their greatest legends that just coincidentally made the two combine? Crazy. Well, here's hoping there's no need for any more additions this year.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Los Angeles Angels of Everywhere

zcfLMXv.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Pretty sure the Giants have completely phased out the "SF" road alternate jerseys.

Now if they could phase out the current roads and go back to the beautiful ones they had before the headspoon...

The 2011 road uniforms were pretty much perfect. I could take or leave the NOB, though. Who knows, maybe it could happen. After all, the only reason they changed the primary roads was to much the alt. With the alt gone, maybe they'll go back to the v-neck style piping.

I didn't know 47 brand made hats like that

Wearer of fitteds and/or snapbacks with mostly-flat brims here; I've got one 47 Brand snapback and I hate it. Crown is higher than even New Era hats and it's the most uncomfortable fit that irritates the top of my ears. I'm sticking with New Era for my hat needs. (Will pass on the traditional '47 curved brim/faded fabric style, as I am not a suburban dad)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

(Will pass on the traditional '47 curved brim/faded fabric style, as I am not a suburban dad)

Suburban dad? In Chicago those are the default caps for white twenty-somethings who want to represent their team but consider the high crown of New Era far too formal to be worn with jeans.

And I don't like 47 caps because they fit my head strangely, but I was pretty much the only guy wearing 5950s in college when everybody else wore 47s to class.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I wear 47 Brand hats almost exclusively. I also don't have any kids (that I know of).

Here's why: They're cheaper, they're lighter, I don't worry about them getting dirty (because that's kind of the point), and as silly as this sounds because we're talking about hats I really feel like they're less formal for a trek out on the town.

About the only time I wear a 5950 is if I'm actually going to a professional baseball game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My go-to Jays cap is a 47 Brand. I don't care for authentic New Era caps. They're just too stiff for me. That, and I have a size 8 head. So finding a 5950 that actually fits can be a bit of an adventure.

Archived