MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

I'm only a 7-5/8, but ever since New Era switched 5950s over to Chinese-made polyester, I've yet to have one provide a genuinely comfortable fit. It doesn't help that, since New Era recalibrated their sizing, I'm apparently a 7-9/16. '47 Brand fit great, and I also love love love Zephyr's fitteds and flex-fits.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, my rule these days is only buying 5950s in-store. Or online only if returns are free. (Well really it's not buying any more at all because I have enough damn hats.) I find that it's tough to find the perfect fit hat even in regular conditions, so New Era's quality control issues can really muck things up. But these days I find that the only hats I enjoy wearing are 5950, wool or polyester (haven't tried DE), brim slightly curved, high crown only.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Wow. It's good to see other big-headed people here. I thought I was freakish because I wear a 7 1/2. IceCap, do you have trouble getting through doors? :P I don't know if you guys have Ross up there, but I check in there pretty regularly and they always have various caps in size 8.

I second having to try on New Era caps. Not only do at least half of the ones you see in the store have messed-up stitching, but you have to look to make sure the brim is sewn on properly, there's no crease in the crown from the manufacturing process, one side isn't higher than the other, etc. I don't wear 47 caps, but I've bought Zephyr and American Needle caps online with no issues whatsoever. I love the fits of both.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I have only one 47 Brand cap and while I do love it, it is starting to show it's age. Wore the hell out of it during summer months and it's sun damaged. I'd love to find another one. It's a green Red Sox hat with a red three leaf clover on it in a size XXL. It's hard as hell to find

I didn't know 47 brand made hats like that

Wearer of fitteds and/or snapbacks with mostly-flat brims here; I've got one 47 Brand snapback and I hate it. Crown is higher than even New Era hats and it's the most uncomfortable fit that irritates the top of my ears. I'm sticking with New Era for my hat needs. (Will pass on the traditional '47 curved brim/faded fabric style, as I am not a suburban dad)

I'm also a wearer of flat brimmed fitteds and snapbacks (snapbacks look weird with a curved brim). But with snapbacks I only like Mitchell & Ness, every other brand fits/feels weird to me, IDK why.

I will wear curved brimmed hats like a New Era/Reebok/Nike flex fit OSFA (don't like the curved with velcro/strap backs), but I'm also in agreement with you about 47 brand, never liked them at all.

I'm only a 7-5/8, but ever since New Era switched 5950s over to Chinese-made polyester, I've yet to have one provide a genuinely comfortable fit. It doesn't help that, since New Era recalibrated their sizing, I'm apparently a 7-9/16. '47 Brand fit great, and I also love love love Zephyr's fitteds and flex-fits.

I have old new era 5950 that are 7 3/4s that are a few years old that fit me fine, a little big but passable, because I used to be in between sizes. About a year or 2 ago I ordered one that size and it covered my whole face and now I wear a 7 3/8 in 5950

Yeah I'm so frustrated with the 5950 sizes especially since I'm pretty much a 6 7/8 guy... do you realize how hard it is to find that size and find the one that fits just right? Store employees have told me just go up to a size 7 but I can't stand that its clearly bigger than the others and I feel like Alex Torres with the Super Mario helmet.

Thankfully my best fitting cap is the one I wear the most, almost daily really. But I have one that squeezes so tight around my head I'm left with a headache and a red impression around my forehead. One that fits just fine around but is seemingly taller so when I lower it down it actually pushes my ears down. I dunno, its just a mess. I'm due for a new one with my most worn cap but everytime I go to the store I can't find the right fit.

So frustrating, does New Era know about this???

I second having to try on New Era caps. Not only do at least half of the ones you see in the store have messed-up stitching, but you have to look to make sure the brim is sewn on properly, there's no crease in the crown from the manufacturing process, one side isn't higher than the other, etc. I don't wear 47 caps, but I've bought Zephyr and American Needle caps online with no issues whatsoever. I love the fits of both.

I find it amazing that this process that we go through with our caps is such a real thing. Like I imagine "regular consumers" never think of all the things that are probably wrong with the caps they buy when they just pick the first one off the rack. I think I'd cringe watching someone buy them without a proper inspection first.

I'm a 7 1/4 5950 man. I curve my bills by folding the new bill with the curve of a more sturdy bill of a cheaper hat. Dip new bill in water, rubber band/ponytail holder it, hang on bed post for a day or two. Voila! I've got my perfect curve!

I've had pretty good success with ordering MLB hats online. Never had one not fit correctly.

I did have one issue with New Era, though. We had a discussion about it on here as well. I ordered a 7 1/4 Hagerstown Suns hat, (from Mickey's Place) and when I got it and finished curving the bill it was really snug. Like headache snug. And that was right after a haircut. When I need a haircut, I forget about wearing that one.

I remember it was constructed differently because MiLB caps mostly come from China.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

mlbshop.com selling cream jerseys for every team

http://shop.mlb.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=75949556

Whoever designed these needs a lesson on color contrast (A's, Pirates especially). There were some interesting color choices, like the Phillies in maroon and powder, DBacks in purple, the Twins, Jays and Braves in light blue, Brewers throwback with light blue for whatever reason, and the Padres in brown. Not to mention they used the wrong Angels logo (gold halo).

spacer.png

I like New Era and the 5950's, also it's the only type of hat that fits me well.
I have a big head. I'm a size 8 and the 5950's are the only ones have enough crown to properly fit my head in.

I have the opposite problem. I have a narrow face and my hat size is 7 1/8. Having a smaller head, the regular 5950s look absolutely retarded on me so I won't wear them. However, the low crown 5950s work perfectly and the low crown versions do seem easier to find these days. You can even find the NFL on field 5950s in low crown versions now. I also went through a phase of sticking with '47 brand because I loved their cotton stretch fit hats, but now they've switched them to 100% polyester and they have a bit of a sheen to them which I hate, plus even though they are stretch fit, the fit now feels much sloppier than the old cotton versions. Also, on '47 brand Packer hats the shade of green they use is way off and way darker than it should be so I won't buy any.

Archived