NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

how is it "lazy" if they got what they set out to get? I'd argue that

1) what the Sixers did was not a "rebrand". I'm convinced 90% of you don't even know what that means. Bucks... yeah, OK, probably.

2) withholding outlines from the letters / numbers actually makes the side panels with the stars stand out more. It would have been easy (or, "lazy" if you will) to do the obvious and use some silly proprietary font and throw outlines over the whole thing. I don't love the number font (regular block would be better) but I'd rather it than some "custom" designed one.

3) they fixed the collars and cuffs, which were horrible and clashed with the traditional style of the letters / numbers.

4) I'm not a fan of the court, but for what they're going for there was no need to change it. I'd rather it go back to solid blue paint and red baselines.

I'd argue that from a uniform standpoint, the Sixers are far better looking than the Bucks, who shoehorned blue and black where they didn't belong, went with a childish super-squared-off font that will look worn out in a few years, and made a silly cartoony super-hero "M" logo that just doesn't fit in with the rest of anything. I honestly don't get the full blown circle jerk that this place went through when the Bucks revealed their set. The letter / number font alone takes away any bit of professionalism from it. Not to mention their ridiculous stories about "intentional mistakes", which has no bearing on the design, but just adds to the silly factor of the whole effort.

I don't really care about the Sixers, but I think they hit a home run with this set, while the Bucks really laid an egg. Too many colors, childish fonts, and a silly alt logo.

I wouldn't call the current Bucks look childish or cartoony. However, their first logo definitely looked like that. Either way, I love both looks.

BXgiVYN.png

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That logo is kinda like the skating penguin. Sure it's silly, but it's not trying to be extreme like the M is (nor is it awkwardly jammed in to their other logos).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pistons chrome jerseys have officially been revealed.

KCP doesn't look too happy...

CQaH-hWUwAALXOo.jpg

I'm not going to complain here because:

1. no sleeves

2. no stupid city nickname

3. no random, silly striping/piping

4. no massive awkward logo on the front

I can dig it. I'd prefer a red alt with 'chrome' trim if you must include it. But, again, not going to complain.

sig.png

The Bucks officially wins rebrand of the year!!! Wow love the court and their whole set!!!

Better than the Sixers though?
Easily..Sixers were nice but super lazy...same font and design as last year. All they really did was add side panels which is what they should have did years ago. No outlines on numbers and wordmark. Home court looks the same too. Lazy.

how is it "lazy" if they got what they set out to get? I'd argue that

1) what the Sixers did was not a "rebrand". I'm convinced 90% of you don't even know what that means. Bucks... yeah, OK, probably.

2) withholding outlines from the letters / numbers actually makes the side panels with the stars stand out more. It would have been easy (or, "lazy" if you will) to do the obvious and use some silly proprietary font and throw outlines over the whole thing. I don't love the number font (regular block would be better) but I'd rather it than some "custom" designed one.

3) they fixed the collars and cuffs, which were horrible and clashed with the traditional style of the letters / numbers.

4) I'm not a fan of the court, but for what they're going for there was no need to change it. I'd rather it go back to solid blue paint and red baselines.

I'd argue that from a uniform standpoint, the Sixers are far better looking than the Bucks, who shoehorned blue and black where they didn't belong, went with a childish super-squared-off font that will look worn out in a few years, and made a silly cartoony super-hero "M" logo that just doesn't fit in with the rest of anything. I honestly don't get the full blown circle jerk that this place went through when the Bucks revealed their set. The letter / number font alone takes away any bit of professionalism from it. Not to mention their ridiculous stories about "intentional mistakes", which has no bearing on the design, but just adds to the silly factor of the whole effort.

I don't really care about the Sixers, but I think they hit a home run with this set, while the Bucks really laid an egg. Too many colors, childish fonts, and a silly alt logo.

Chill man..I respect your argument but IM confused by your tone. But in all honesty a "spade is a spade"...Uniwatch,Bleacher Report,even the motherboard(SportsLogos) agreed the Sixers did a good job but just small potatoes compared to what the had last year. Aside from the side panels. What's different? Phila?? Come on man.

The execution is excellent but this jersey should have came out 4 years ago.

Bucks are far from perfect but they weren't afraid to take a few risks instead of being bland,playing safe like - Pelicans,Raptors,etc.

shado_logo.gif

1) what the Sixers did was not a "rebrand". I'm convinced 90% of you don't even know what that means.

That buzzword is so annoying because it is deployed most often where it does not apply. A rebrand is by definition a name-change. Simply changing the uniform, the logo, or the colours does not constitute a rebrand.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1) what the Sixers did was not a "rebrand". I'm convinced 90% of you don't even know what that means.

That buzzword is so annoying because it is deployed most often where it does not apply. A rebrand is by definition a name-change. Simply changing the uniform, the logo, or the colours does not constitute a rebrand.

I don't believe that's an accurate definition or rebrand. I think a rebrand is more changing any combination of name/color/logo. A full-scale rebrand involves changing all three, a minor one may be one of those.

However, I do agree that simply changing uniforms is not a rebrand; thus, the Sixers were not rebranded.

Pistons chrome jerseys have officially been revealed.

KCP doesn't look too happy...

CQaH-hWUwAALXOo.jpg

I'm not going to complain here because:

1. no sleeves

2. no stupid city nickname

3. no random, silly striping/piping

4. no massive awkward logo on the front

I can dig it. I'd prefer a red alt with 'chrome' trim if you must include it. But, again, not going to complain.

I actually like these Detroit unis they are clean and with the same reasons as stated I would wear that but I do want to see the chrome material in my hands to see how it actually looks in real life or would the be as bad as the Maverick trash bag unis but at this stage I like more than most the rebrands and event unis unveiled so far

I don't believe that's an accurate definition or rebrand. I think a rebrand is more changing any combination of name/color/logo. A full-scale rebrand involves changing all three, a minor one may be one of those.

However, I do agree that simply changing uniforms is not a rebrand; thus, the Sixers were not rebranded.

The brand is the name of the product. When Nestle's Quik became Nesquik, that was a rebrand. The brand changed. When Hess stations became Speedway, that was a rebrand. By contrast, when Pepsi changes its logo, that is not a rebrand.

Likewise, when the New Orleans Hornets became the New Orleans Pelicans, that can be described as a rebrand, because the brand changed. But when the Raptors or Bucks bring in a new uniform, those are not rebrands; those brands stayed the same.

Anyway, I'd like to step back here to make a larger point: even in the rare case in which the word "rebrand" does technically apply to a sports team, this word is completely superfluous. Let us realise that no one was at a loss for how to describe what had gone on on when the Colt .45s became the Astros, or even fairly recently when the Bullets became the Wizards. People simply said that these teams had changed their names. There was no lexical gap that needed filling by some snazzy new term.

Ultimately, the term "rebrand" is just a goofy buzzword that is inapplicable in the large majority of cases in which it is used in the sports context. And, even when it is applicable, this self-conscious appropriation of marketing lingo is a display of insufferable douchebaggery, as is the increasing use of the concept of "the brand" as a means of referring to the team's name.

I understand that I am railing against a trend which is not likely to subside. Still, I find this annoying because inappropriately-deployed jargon lowers the level of discourse on a given subject by making the substance of the matter that much harder to get at.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived